Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Something I dont understand?

Posted by cindyp on 9/03/00 at 19:09 (027084)

Maybe I am misinterpreting. But from some of the comments I have seen, doctors are not wanting to classify people in the chronic pain category? Why is that? Not wanting people to get to pain clinic.

Re: Something I dont understand?

Pauline on 9/04/00 at 04:52 (027101)

Cindy,
My opinion: Its for the same old reasons, patients insurance coverage,
payements to the doctors for non referrals, and most of all the Governments feeling about Doctors prescribing addictive pain medication and the scrutiny they receive if they cover the patients pain with these medications.

Dr. Biehler on 9/04/00 at 09:33 (027126)

Alot of insurance plans like HMOs penalize doctors for over utilizing referals. This compounded with the fact that pain is subjective and there is a lot of scruteny by the DEA for writting these medications have made a lot of doctors avoid this area altogether. I think they think the problem will just go way if they pretend it is not there. Dr. Biehler

Pauline on 9/04/00 at 04:52 (027101)

Cindy,
My opinion: Its for the same old reasons, patients insurance coverage,
payements to the doctors for non referrals, and most of all the Governments feeling about Doctors prescribing addictive pain medication and the scrutiny they receive if they cover the patients pain with these medications.

Dr. Biehler on 9/04/00 at 09:33 (027126)

Alot of insurance plans like HMOs penalize doctors for over utilizing referals. This compounded with the fact that pain is subjective and there is a lot of scruteny by the DEA for writting these medications have made a lot of doctors avoid this area altogether. I think they think the problem will just go way if they pretend it is not there. Dr. Biehler