Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spurs on the back of the heels

Posted by Phil S on 9/03/00 at 22:08 (027091)

X-rays have shown that I have heel spurs on the backs of my heels, not the bottoms. Neither podiatrist I have seen has mentioned anything about them in connection with my symptoms. I have both neuromas and PF. I do not have the classis 'morning heel pain', but the back bottom of my heels are becoming increasingly sore, making driving, for example, very uncomfortable. Wearing orthotics for three weeks has not helped this particular symptom. Could there be a connection between the spurs on the backs of my heels and the pain in the back of my heel?

Re: Heel spurs on the back of the heels

DR. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 07:17 (027102)

The calcification or spurs show that there has been tearing of the fibers of the achilles tendon at its insertion which is the back of the heel bone. The function of the achilles tendon is what makes the foot and ankle move up and down. When the fibers are strained or torn the body reacts to try to heal them by calicifiying the fibers. So there is a direct connection. If you have any question please feel free to ask.

Phil S on 9/05/00 at 16:32 (027288)

Thanks for your response. I'm wondering now what might have caused this condition, and secondly, what can I do to treat it?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:11 (027300)

This is usually a repetitive stress injury to the achilles tendon.
Years of working and standing cause this. The foot and it tendons are like brakes and shocks on a car- they wear out and need repair. Start
with stretching and see Scott book on pf and Mike W book on the personal trainers. They are both on the home pages.

DR. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 07:17 (027102)

The calcification or spurs show that there has been tearing of the fibers of the achilles tendon at its insertion which is the back of the heel bone. The function of the achilles tendon is what makes the foot and ankle move up and down. When the fibers are strained or torn the body reacts to try to heal them by calicifiying the fibers. So there is a direct connection. If you have any question please feel free to ask.

Phil S on 9/05/00 at 16:32 (027288)

Thanks for your response. I'm wondering now what might have caused this condition, and secondly, what can I do to treat it?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:11 (027300)

This is usually a repetitive stress injury to the achilles tendon.
Years of working and standing cause this. The foot and it tendons are like brakes and shocks on a car- they wear out and need repair. Start
with stretching and see Scott book on pf and Mike W book on the personal trainers. They are both on the home pages.