Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are There Any Good Orthotics (non prescription) Out There That People Are Using And Can Recommend?

Posted by Shaira on 9/04/00 at 00:12 (027099)

Ok, the best ones, I found (past tense) were the poron ones at flatfoot.com HOWEVER they changed their insoles from the smooth top to a crinkly appearing top with no give.

So, I need HELP to find a good one!! So are there any you all can recommmend?

Shaira

Re: Are There Any Good Orthotics (non prescription) Out There That People Are Using And Can Recommend?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 07:21 (027103)

What type are you looking for.?. Soft, semi hard, rigid. There are alot of inserts on the web. I like powerstep. There are very good for pf. in about 70% of people trying them. They have a life time guarantee and thirty day return. We do sell them in my office. I believe there is a web site in addition to buy them.

Re: Dr. Zuckerman you have a link?

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 07:56 (027106)

Dr. Zuckerman, you have a link to Powerstep? Here's where my foot aches: the heels - they need shock absorbing material like poron, and a nice big buildup in the arch - but not rigid, the metatarsels and upper foot also need some shock absorbing. Gosh my feet hurt so much right now.

Shaira

Re: www.powersteps.com is the link you recommended

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 08:17 (027108)

Okay, I found the link http://www.powersteps.com is it. The only hesitation I have is that there looks to a second layer there that is plastic-like, sort prescription orthotic like and I'm not sure if that will help me. I will call them though this morning and ask about it. Prescription orthotics didn't do it for me and *hurt* my poor feet. They didn't have any *give* to them and I think I need softer and more shock absorbing bounce.

Shaira

Re: just emailed the company with a question

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 08:28 (027109)

Okay, I'm nto really sure they could work for me because I need *give* in the heels. That's where I strike the hardest, and without give it *hurts* the most. These powersteps look similar to prescription orthotics in that plastic layer, and I don't know if they would work for me like that.

What about those Viscopeds? Wonder if they work?

Nancy S. on 9/04/00 at 08:42 (027110)

Shaira, of all the otc inserts I tried, I liked Bio-soles the best. Couldn't find them on the Internet, but got them at the best medical supply store around here. They are full-length and well made. They come in half and whole sizes, so you don't have to cut them up and wreck them while trying to get them to fit your shoe.
I don't wear them much because I prefer Birkenstocks (when I'm not in an air cast, as I am now).
The store let me try a whole bunch of otc inserts, for as long as I wanted while there. These cost about $25.
I hope this helps.
Nancy

Scott R on 9/04/00 at 08:47 (027111)

Powersteps are the best inserts I'm aware of, and they are probably better than 80% of the custom orthotics being sold. The only reason they are not the 2nd or 3rd link on heelspurs.com is because I can't get Dr. Appel to pay a commission on their sales. It's kind of like he's selling so many through other channels that he isn't interested in small-time deals. Maybe Dr. Z can put in a good word for me.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 08:55 (027112)

Absolutely will. Will contact the man this week. If he doesn't support heelspurs.com then I need to find out why. I give this guy alot of business thru my office. The company has been around for about seven years. I will call him this week and see what his story is. DR. Z

Re: Scott and Dr. Z do they have *plastic* in their inserts though?

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 11:42 (027145)

I am curious about that because my arches can handle the plastic but the heels want soft *giving* material.

Do you think they would be good for me and my needs?

Shaira

Scott R on 9/04/00 at 12:46 (027150)

I gave my pair away, so I don't remember exactly, but I don't remember any plastic. They were not designed to be any softer than a normal shoe, but they were not as hard as many orthoitcs I've seen, either.

Re: Scott did you not find them helpful? You gave them away...

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 12:55 (027153)

Scott, did you not find the powersteps helpful since you gave them away?

Do they have any *give* to them? That's my biggest thought, they don't seem like they bounce too much, and I strike so hard on my heels that I need shock absorbing qualities.

Shaira

Scott R on 9/04/00 at 13:13 (027154)

My feet are doing pretty good. I don't need inserts. They have some give under the arch, but probably not much more give under the heel than a normal shoe.

Re: Thanks Scott, they don't sound like they could help me tho...

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 13:45 (027163)

Thanks Scott, I think I need more give and bounce in the heel.

Shaira

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 14:27 (027168)

They do have plastic in them. You need shock absorption in the heel . Maybe Scott has a suggestion for an insert that has more sock in the heel. I will take a look at the product board and see what they have.

Beverly on 9/04/00 at 15:22 (027171)

I have tried lots and lots of otc orthodics. I am currently wearing Spenco. I have a fairly high arch, and so if you have flat feet, you might not like what us high arch people like.
I have found that you just have to try lots of different one.
I could buy a mutual fund for what I have spent in orthodics that did not work.
Beverly

Re: Are There Any Good Orthotics (non prescription) Out There That People Are Using And Can Recommend?

Carl on 9/05/00 at 06:39 (027209)

If you are looking for high quality, affordable pre-molded (non-prescription) orthotics, check-out http://www.ortho-dynamics.com . I have several pairs, and I am very satisfied with the quality, workmanship, therapeutic benefits, and price. These are the closest thing I have found to custom (prescription) orthotics! (Note: primarily for people with normal to flat arches.)

Nancy S. on 9/05/00 at 07:18 (027210)

Carl,
I looked at the site -- they actually seem decent! I'm wondering, you say you have several pairs -- which ones do you have? The one they say is specifically for PF has a gel heel cushion and I don't do well with those. But the Sportsman line looks tempting. I would be wearing them in hiking boots. Do you have that model, and how much has it helped you? Thanks.
Nancy

Carl on 9/05/00 at 09:10 (027227)

Nancy,
I actually have the SPORTSMAN and FOOT ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM. I use them in my sneakers and hiking boots all the time. The SPORTSMAN is slightly more rigid. The SPORTSMAN is actually the same as the HEEL-LITE without the gel cushion pad. I believe the gel cushion pad is only necessary if you have a heel spur. If you have a normal to flat arch, I highly recommend their products.

Nancy S. on 9/05/00 at 09:22 (027230)

Carl, I do have a heel spur -- but gel heel things seem to hurt that area in me. Even though the Sportsman is slightly more rigid, is there still a slight give to it? (I have hard, rigid orthotics that I had to give up months ago -- custom, $300 -- because they were too hard. Seems I can't take too soft [gel] or too hard [rigid, plastic].)
Thanks for answering my questions!
Nancy

Carl on 9/05/00 at 09:34 (027233)

Nancy, I would say the SPORTSMAN is semi-rigid. It is covered with a cellular cushioning material that provides good shock absorption. The FES is slightly less rigid. Jeff

Re: Me too, I've spent a fortune on otc orthotics

Shaira on 9/05/00 at 13:44 (027259)

Okay, here's the deal, I love the arch support in birkenstocks, BUT I can't deal with the neg heel, and I'm mostly flat footed.

Shaira

Re: Which one has a more rigid arch and a real good heel cushion?

Shaira on 9/05/00 at 13:47 (027260)

I really need great arch support and real good cushion for the heel, my heels kill me and so do my arches, plus I want full length. What is recommended at ortho-dynamic? And how much are they?

Shaira

Carl on 9/05/00 at 14:36 (027267)

Shaira, you probably want to go with their HEEL-LITE. It is a semi-rigid (full-length) device that has a gel pad in the heel area for added heel cushioning. I believe it sells for $49.95, which is a bargain compared to some of the other 'inserts' I have seen on the web. So long as you have a normal to flat arch, I highly recommend them.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 07:21 (027103)

What type are you looking for.?. Soft, semi hard, rigid. There are alot of inserts on the web. I like powerstep. There are very good for pf. in about 70% of people trying them. They have a life time guarantee and thirty day return. We do sell them in my office. I believe there is a web site in addition to buy them.

Re: Dr. Zuckerman you have a link?

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 07:56 (027106)

Dr. Zuckerman, you have a link to Powerstep? Here's where my foot aches: the heels - they need shock absorbing material like poron, and a nice big buildup in the arch - but not rigid, the metatarsels and upper foot also need some shock absorbing. Gosh my feet hurt so much right now.

Shaira

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 08:17 (027108)

Okay, I found the link http://www.powersteps.com is it. The only hesitation I have is that there looks to a second layer there that is plastic-like, sort prescription orthotic like and I'm not sure if that will help me. I will call them though this morning and ask about it. Prescription orthotics didn't do it for me and *hurt* my poor feet. They didn't have any *give* to them and I think I need softer and more shock absorbing bounce.

Shaira

Re: just emailed the company with a question

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 08:28 (027109)

Okay, I'm nto really sure they could work for me because I need *give* in the heels. That's where I strike the hardest, and without give it *hurts* the most. These powersteps look similar to prescription orthotics in that plastic layer, and I don't know if they would work for me like that.

What about those Viscopeds? Wonder if they work?

Nancy S. on 9/04/00 at 08:42 (027110)

Shaira, of all the otc inserts I tried, I liked Bio-soles the best. Couldn't find them on the Internet, but got them at the best medical supply store around here. They are full-length and well made. They come in half and whole sizes, so you don't have to cut them up and wreck them while trying to get them to fit your shoe.
I don't wear them much because I prefer Birkenstocks (when I'm not in an air cast, as I am now).
The store let me try a whole bunch of otc inserts, for as long as I wanted while there. These cost about $25.
I hope this helps.
Nancy

Scott R on 9/04/00 at 08:47 (027111)

Powersteps are the best inserts I'm aware of, and they are probably better than 80% of the custom orthotics being sold. The only reason they are not the 2nd or 3rd link on heelspurs.com is because I can't get Dr. Appel to pay a commission on their sales. It's kind of like he's selling so many through other channels that he isn't interested in small-time deals. Maybe Dr. Z can put in a good word for me.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 08:55 (027112)

Absolutely will. Will contact the man this week. If he doesn't support heelspurs.com then I need to find out why. I give this guy alot of business thru my office. The company has been around for about seven years. I will call him this week and see what his story is. DR. Z

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 11:42 (027145)

I am curious about that because my arches can handle the plastic but the heels want soft *giving* material.

Do you think they would be good for me and my needs?

Shaira

Scott R on 9/04/00 at 12:46 (027150)

I gave my pair away, so I don't remember exactly, but I don't remember any plastic. They were not designed to be any softer than a normal shoe, but they were not as hard as many orthoitcs I've seen, either.

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 12:55 (027153)

Scott, did you not find the powersteps helpful since you gave them away?

Do they have any *give* to them? That's my biggest thought, they don't seem like they bounce too much, and I strike so hard on my heels that I need shock absorbing qualities.

Shaira

Scott R on 9/04/00 at 13:13 (027154)

My feet are doing pretty good. I don't need inserts. They have some give under the arch, but probably not much more give under the heel than a normal shoe.

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 13:45 (027163)

Thanks Scott, I think I need more give and bounce in the heel.

Shaira

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 14:27 (027168)

They do have plastic in them. You need shock absorption in the heel . Maybe Scott has a suggestion for an insert that has more sock in the heel. I will take a look at the product board and see what they have.

Beverly on 9/04/00 at 15:22 (027171)

I have tried lots and lots of otc orthodics. I am currently wearing Spenco. I have a fairly high arch, and so if you have flat feet, you might not like what us high arch people like.
I have found that you just have to try lots of different one.
I could buy a mutual fund for what I have spent in orthodics that did not work.
Beverly

Carl on 9/05/00 at 06:39 (027209)

If you are looking for high quality, affordable pre-molded (non-prescription) orthotics, check-out http://www.ortho-dynamics.com . I have several pairs, and I am very satisfied with the quality, workmanship, therapeutic benefits, and price. These are the closest thing I have found to custom (prescription) orthotics! (Note: primarily for people with normal to flat arches.)

Nancy S. on 9/05/00 at 07:18 (027210)

Carl,
I looked at the site -- they actually seem decent! I'm wondering, you say you have several pairs -- which ones do you have? The one they say is specifically for PF has a gel heel cushion and I don't do well with those. But the Sportsman line looks tempting. I would be wearing them in hiking boots. Do you have that model, and how much has it helped you? Thanks.
Nancy

Carl on 9/05/00 at 09:10 (027227)

Nancy,
I actually have the SPORTSMAN and FOOT ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM. I use them in my sneakers and hiking boots all the time. The SPORTSMAN is slightly more rigid. The SPORTSMAN is actually the same as the HEEL-LITE without the gel cushion pad. I believe the gel cushion pad is only necessary if you have a heel spur. If you have a normal to flat arch, I highly recommend their products.

Nancy S. on 9/05/00 at 09:22 (027230)

Carl, I do have a heel spur -- but gel heel things seem to hurt that area in me. Even though the Sportsman is slightly more rigid, is there still a slight give to it? (I have hard, rigid orthotics that I had to give up months ago -- custom, $300 -- because they were too hard. Seems I can't take too soft [gel] or too hard [rigid, plastic].)
Thanks for answering my questions!
Nancy

Carl on 9/05/00 at 09:34 (027233)

Nancy, I would say the SPORTSMAN is semi-rigid. It is covered with a cellular cushioning material that provides good shock absorption. The FES is slightly less rigid. Jeff

Re: Me too, I've spent a fortune on otc orthotics

Shaira on 9/05/00 at 13:44 (027259)

Okay, here's the deal, I love the arch support in birkenstocks, BUT I can't deal with the neg heel, and I'm mostly flat footed.

Shaira

Shaira on 9/05/00 at 13:47 (027260)

I really need great arch support and real good cushion for the heel, my heels kill me and so do my arches, plus I want full length. What is recommended at ortho-dynamic? And how much are they?

Shaira

Carl on 9/05/00 at 14:36 (027267)

Shaira, you probably want to go with their HEEL-LITE. It is a semi-rigid (full-length) device that has a gel pad in the heel area for added heel cushioning. I believe it sells for $49.95, which is a bargain compared to some of the other 'inserts' I have seen on the web. So long as you have a normal to flat arch, I highly recommend them.