Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

for those new to PF

Posted by john h on 9/04/00 at 10:29 (027132)

the following should be a good introduction to those who are new to PF and maybe even those who are well informed:

http://www.tagnet/org/wsacc/plantarf.htm

Re: for those new to PF

john h on 9/04/00 at 10:32 (027133)

will try again. the above url was wrong:

http://www.tagnet.org/wsacc/plantarf.htm

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 11:15 (027142)

Very good start . It is impossible to stretch the plantar fascia band. You can stretch other tendons that are at the attachment such as the FDB, FHL and other intrinistic muscles and tendons of the foot.
But you can't stretch the plantar fascia. Trust me. It can't be done. This is a wives tale. I have a hard time cutting this fasia with a knife. Please understand that stretching is important but the relaxation of the plantar fascia is due to strething other structures
of the foot. Don't forget the achilles tendon this is a big one to work on. Mike W personal foot trainer is a great device the booklet with it is the best I have read on stretching. Even if you don't use this device read the instructions.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 11:20 (027144)

Additional great source is Scott Robert book. I would hope that everyone read this book, especially doctors.

john h on 9/04/00 at 13:22 (027156)

dr z: do you think the article is wrong in that you do not want the fascia to heel in a relaxed position? is there a relaxed position if you cannot stretch it? i guess the relaxed position would be if you are not putting tension on it. what you say makes sense because in achilles tendon surgeries they are casted for some weeks and the tendon heels in what would appear to be a neutral position. by the way i just got back from walking 2 hours in the mall with no pain! wow! have not done that in a few years.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 13:43 (027162)

I just think that there are other tendons in the foot and leg that are causing the pf to not relax, because it is functioning at the wrong time and with too much force on it. So try to stretch the tendons that could be the reason in the first place that you have pf such as achilles tendon, posterior tibial . All of the tendons that are outlines in Mike W booklet is a very good start. One of the things that I notices after ESWT is the relaxation of the pf . This has to be due to break up pain and other tendons of the foot such as FDB and FHL etc.

Re: Hooray for you, John!

Barbara S. on 9/04/00 at 15:19 (027170)

I am glad that you are feeling good today! Do you think its the ESWT?

linda on 9/06/00 at 06:16 (027361)

I am brand new to this problem. I can walk with no problem now but am interested in preventive work. I have walked the stairs for exercise for four years. Was this the cause of the PF. Should I get arch supports. What kind. What kind of shoes should I wear. I walk all day and sit very little. Any advice would be appreciated. My knot is on the bottom of my high arch.

john h on 9/06/00 at 16:00 (027400)

you should get no supports unless there is a clinical reason to get them. the soft ones you find in a sporting goods store might be appropriate (spenco,etc) because some of or most athletic shoes offer no support and are not very soft. if you do not have PF linda keep on trucking but just remember to stretch after a short warmup. if a pain develops do not ignore it and stop what you are doing and do something else. see your doctor if you suspect something is wrong with your feet. running up hills sort of did me in and i used to run the treadmill up to a very step angle when using it (bad bad) for pf. i also would do the stairmaster for 45 minutes but i do not think it had anything to do with my pf.

Linda on 9/06/00 at 17:07 (027404)

I was just told last week that I had plantars fascia. Never heard of it. I have a knot in the ligament of my arch. I have no pain but am paranoid after reading about all of the pain. I too work on my feet all day. Do you think just padding/dr. scholl's will work. I am very healthy and hate to think of loosing my walking. Any advice.

john h on 9/04/00 at 10:32 (027133)

will try again. the above url was wrong:

http://www.tagnet.org/wsacc/plantarf.htm

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 11:15 (027142)

Very good start . It is impossible to stretch the plantar fascia band. You can stretch other tendons that are at the attachment such as the FDB, FHL and other intrinistic muscles and tendons of the foot.
But you can't stretch the plantar fascia. Trust me. It can't be done. This is a wives tale. I have a hard time cutting this fasia with a knife. Please understand that stretching is important but the relaxation of the plantar fascia is due to strething other structures
of the foot. Don't forget the achilles tendon this is a big one to work on. Mike W personal foot trainer is a great device the booklet with it is the best I have read on stretching. Even if you don't use this device read the instructions.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 11:20 (027144)

Additional great source is Scott Robert book. I would hope that everyone read this book, especially doctors.

john h on 9/04/00 at 13:22 (027156)

dr z: do you think the article is wrong in that you do not want the fascia to heel in a relaxed position? is there a relaxed position if you cannot stretch it? i guess the relaxed position would be if you are not putting tension on it. what you say makes sense because in achilles tendon surgeries they are casted for some weeks and the tendon heels in what would appear to be a neutral position. by the way i just got back from walking 2 hours in the mall with no pain! wow! have not done that in a few years.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 13:43 (027162)

I just think that there are other tendons in the foot and leg that are causing the pf to not relax, because it is functioning at the wrong time and with too much force on it. So try to stretch the tendons that could be the reason in the first place that you have pf such as achilles tendon, posterior tibial . All of the tendons that are outlines in Mike W booklet is a very good start. One of the things that I notices after ESWT is the relaxation of the pf . This has to be due to break up pain and other tendons of the foot such as FDB and FHL etc.

Re: Hooray for you, John!

Barbara S. on 9/04/00 at 15:19 (027170)

I am glad that you are feeling good today! Do you think its the ESWT?

linda on 9/06/00 at 06:16 (027361)

I am brand new to this problem. I can walk with no problem now but am interested in preventive work. I have walked the stairs for exercise for four years. Was this the cause of the PF. Should I get arch supports. What kind. What kind of shoes should I wear. I walk all day and sit very little. Any advice would be appreciated. My knot is on the bottom of my high arch.

john h on 9/06/00 at 16:00 (027400)

you should get no supports unless there is a clinical reason to get them. the soft ones you find in a sporting goods store might be appropriate (spenco,etc) because some of or most athletic shoes offer no support and are not very soft. if you do not have PF linda keep on trucking but just remember to stretch after a short warmup. if a pain develops do not ignore it and stop what you are doing and do something else. see your doctor if you suspect something is wrong with your feet. running up hills sort of did me in and i used to run the treadmill up to a very step angle when using it (bad bad) for pf. i also would do the stairmaster for 45 minutes but i do not think it had anything to do with my pf.

Linda on 9/06/00 at 17:07 (027404)

I was just told last week that I had plantars fascia. Never heard of it. I have a knot in the ligament of my arch. I have no pain but am paranoid after reading about all of the pain. I too work on my feet all day. Do you think just padding/dr. scholl's will work. I am very healthy and hate to think of loosing my walking. Any advice.