Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mom diagnosis confirmed

Posted by JudyS on 9/04/00 at 21:36 (027190)

Remember that I'd mentioned last week that my 19-year-old runner/son had signs of PF? He never did go to the ER (the child never did listen to me!) but was home from school for the long weekend so I got him to go to our GP. Yep, it's PF. He's extremely upset after watching me for 2 years but I did my best to convince him that he'll be fine if he follows the letter of the treatment law right now. I was practically falling all over myself outlining dos and don'ts for him! Hope he's listening this time! But can you believe it - he won't go near our dear message boards! Go figure!

Re: Mom diagnosis confirmed

Pauline on 9/04/00 at 23:05 (027202)

For everything there is a season--he will learn in his own time
that what you are telling him is correct. Best of luck to son and mother.

Re: Old saying

Steve P on 9/05/00 at 08:51 (027225)

Judy -- 'When I was 17 I was surprised at how little my parents knew. When I was 20 I was surprised at how much they had learned in 3 years.'

Author unknown

Barbara S. on 9/05/00 at 10:00 (027235)

I had a bout of pf when I was 17 after my volleyball season... orthotics cleared up the problem and I was pain free until I was 32, overweight, not stretching, on my feet all the time, and wearing shoes with no support. I am a walking (actually, sitting) advertisement for the long-term care of pf prone feet. I wish my mom knew what you know! B.

Laurie R on 9/05/00 at 10:46 (027241)

Hi Judy,
I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear your son has PF. In time he will listen to you. I think what is going on in his head is all the pain you have been in.Maybe if he gets in treatment now he will get better real soon.My best to both of you. Laurie R

Beverly on 9/05/00 at 16:43 (027290)

I know you must be very worried seeing your son with PF at such a young age. We'll pray he will be like most PF patients (as opposed to us) and be back to normal in a few months.
Beverly

Re: Kids

wendyn on 9/05/00 at 21:33 (027343)

Must be a bad week for son's....my son came home from football tryouts with what appears to be early achilles tendonitis. Mom's prescribed an evening of rest (no chance of getting him to rest tomorrow - football is very important you know) ice and advil. Poor kid - his feet are made almost worse than mine. Is it bad for a mom to hope her kid doesn't make the team so that he doesn't destroy his feet completely?

Pauline on 9/04/00 at 23:05 (027202)

For everything there is a season--he will learn in his own time
that what you are telling him is correct. Best of luck to son and mother.

Re: Old saying

Steve P on 9/05/00 at 08:51 (027225)

Judy -- 'When I was 17 I was surprised at how little my parents knew. When I was 20 I was surprised at how much they had learned in 3 years.'

Author unknown

Barbara S. on 9/05/00 at 10:00 (027235)

I had a bout of pf when I was 17 after my volleyball season... orthotics cleared up the problem and I was pain free until I was 32, overweight, not stretching, on my feet all the time, and wearing shoes with no support. I am a walking (actually, sitting) advertisement for the long-term care of pf prone feet. I wish my mom knew what you know! B.

Laurie R on 9/05/00 at 10:46 (027241)

Hi Judy,
I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear your son has PF. In time he will listen to you. I think what is going on in his head is all the pain you have been in.Maybe if he gets in treatment now he will get better real soon.My best to both of you. Laurie R

Beverly on 9/05/00 at 16:43 (027290)

I know you must be very worried seeing your son with PF at such a young age. We'll pray he will be like most PF patients (as opposed to us) and be back to normal in a few months.
Beverly

Re: Kids

wendyn on 9/05/00 at 21:33 (027343)

Must be a bad week for son's....my son came home from football tryouts with what appears to be early achilles tendonitis. Mom's prescribed an evening of rest (no chance of getting him to rest tomorrow - football is very important you know) ice and advil. Poor kid - his feet are made almost worse than mine. Is it bad for a mom to hope her kid doesn't make the team so that he doesn't destroy his feet completely?