Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Scott and others

Posted by Pauline on 9/05/00 at 09:18 (027229)

Besides posting is there anyway we might be able to help those people
that post who are having insurance difficulties or without insurance and cannot get any medical treatment for this dreadful PF problem?

I think about Vets who offer to treat pets without charge--it is a network that was set up by somebody or organization. It just seems
we ought to be able to help people in the same way. Maybe we could
set up a helping hand network with Pods in various cities that would take on these cases. Posting is great, but wouldn't it be wonderful
to actually be able to point people to a Dr. who could actually help.

Re: To Scott and others

john h on 9/05/00 at 11:50 (027247)

i am with you on that pauline but i have no idea how to do it. john w stepped up to the plate a year or so ago and paid for ESWT treatment for 8 people.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:02 (027296)

I will talk to the rest of the orbasone people but i will step up to the plate and do one free orbaone treatment per month on patients that need ESWT. Scott Roberts will have to work out how people can quality. One concern I have it that someone who can pay will get a treatment that someone else couldn't pay for. May have to take a look at tax returns. But I am willing to do one free orbasone treatment per month so long as it helps some one that lacks the funds. I could also have Scott charge a membership type of fee for patients that sign up for this board. There would be reduciton in my fee if they belonged to the Heelspurs. com club. The purpose of this would be
to help fund this board and have Scott paid for all his hard work.

Scott R on 9/05/00 at 17:48 (027313)

Dr. Z, I can't determine if they are in financial need as easily as your office can, and I can't decide if they need the treatment better than you, so I don't think I should be involved. There aren't any other criteria for selecting. I can't think of a need for a 'club' other than what we already have, which has to stay public and free.

But on rare occasions someone does something to help me like offer to edit the 'book' for free (Nancy S) or send me useful email and make useful design hints about the message board (John H). So if you wanted to treat them for free or at reduced cost I wouldn't complain. Hey, I just noticed John H isn't in the database.

john h on 9/05/00 at 19:06 (027325)

i have a secret program that removes my name from all data bases and replaces it with a name called 'rock'.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 19:58 (027332)

WIll Rock please post your progress notes on my orbasone location. I need the ratings. Other orbasone sites have found me . Just added some progress reports . McPoyle went from a three to a zero after a second treatment. I waited about six weeks to see if the first would do the trick. I need to find a way for the orbasone to make house calls.

Dena on 9/06/00 at 06:24 (027364)

Just a thought but someone from this group e-mailed me that they had Alzner inserts but after using them 1 or 2 realized that they weren't what they needed. They read where I was going to try ordering some to see if that would help and they have generously offered to send them to me. This is wonderful since I'm one of the ones with insurance problems that leave me without medical assistance for my pf (both feet). Since I live on Social Security because of a disability, I've spent too many precious dollars on items that I end up throwing away.

Maybe we (you since I'm such a newbie here I really can't consider myself part of the group) could coordinate something like this. Obviously not for old, worn out items but for those things that are quickly recognized as incompatible with our feet.

Dumb idea?

Beverly on 9/06/00 at 19:32 (027414)

I like that idea. We have talked about it before... about pooling barely used Birks, athletic shoes, and otc orthodics that did not work. I have given away several pairs of supposedly 'PF friendly' shoes to friends because they did not work for me. I would have much rather given those athletic shoes to a PF person with low finances.

It seems like we would need someone on the board we know well... regular poster who would be willing to volunteer to 'collect' these items. But then how do we distribute them? Determine need? I think it would have to be on an honor system. One simple way is to provide a doctor's letter that states that this patient has no insurance or has limited financial means.

Also, a practical matter. The 'collector' needs to either be on the mend or have a spouse who doesn't mind making trips to the post office.
I know that, because I go out of my way to avoid trips to the post office or even the satelite mail centers, because I can't handle the lines.

Finally, custom orthodics would not be practical or probably even safe to distribute. I think this would only would with otc inserts that fit a wide variety of feet. I see this as being especially wonderful for distributing shoes. How many among us bought a pair of 'reccommended' shoes that did not work and then it was too late to return them?

What do you all think?
Beverly

Dena on 9/06/00 at 20:55 (027424)

Maybe a 'collector' is overcomplicating the idea. Maybe it would simply be a good idea for each individual to keep their eyes open for people who could possibly use items that would otherwise be left in a closet as a dust collector or thrown out. Then that person could make contact with the individual and work something out.

While it doesn't appear that it's going to work out because of size differences, it was so wonderful to have someone offer to send me a set of inserts they had tried twice and couldn't use. They were simply going to mail them to me .. no questions asked and without a charge. It would have been a prayer answered had they been the right size. However, God's interesting in the way He always provides.

I would happily send anything I had that I found was unsuccessful for me to someone else if it might possibly help them.

Re: Dena, what size do you wear?

Beverly on 9/07/00 at 16:20 (027497)

Dena, what size shoe do you wear?
Are you high arched, average, or flat footed?
Do you like a hard shoe like Birks or do you like something softer?
Do you like a firm otc insert or something soft and cushioned?
Perhaps, one of us will have the same kind of foot and can donate some of our shoes or inserts that did not work.

Beverly

Re: Dena, what size do you wear? -- High-arched Birk inserts for the taking

Nancy S. on 9/07/00 at 16:36 (027499)

I'd be happy to send any of my inserts that didn't work (and don't worry, they're not stinky, because I found out quickly).
I spent a bit of money on Birk inserts that are for a Birk size 41 person. They're quite rigid and have a high arch. The arch was too much for me (plus I think I got them too big for me feet).
I would be especially happy to find someone who can use them -- I hate for them to go to waste in my closet.
Nancy

Dena on 9/08/00 at 09:53 (027549)

Beverly:

I wear a size 9 shoe (hopefully, that's not classified as clown size) and a fairly high arch. I sent my foot impression to Alzner and they said I would wear a size 7 insert.

I've gone through everything Dr. Scholl has to offer and am now resorting to stacking 2 different kinds on top of each other and taping both feet. I'm probably doing more damage than helping but I have to be able to walk a little bit.

Checked w/ a local foot doctor to find out how much a self-funded visit would be? YOIKES!!! $248 for a first time consultation. Guess I just keep plugging away on my own .. well, not exactly on my own since I found this site!!!

Dena

john h on 9/05/00 at 11:50 (027247)

i am with you on that pauline but i have no idea how to do it. john w stepped up to the plate a year or so ago and paid for ESWT treatment for 8 people.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:02 (027296)

I will talk to the rest of the orbasone people but i will step up to the plate and do one free orbaone treatment per month on patients that need ESWT. Scott Roberts will have to work out how people can quality. One concern I have it that someone who can pay will get a treatment that someone else couldn't pay for. May have to take a look at tax returns. But I am willing to do one free orbasone treatment per month so long as it helps some one that lacks the funds. I could also have Scott charge a membership type of fee for patients that sign up for this board. There would be reduciton in my fee if they belonged to the Heelspurs. com club. The purpose of this would be
to help fund this board and have Scott paid for all his hard work.

Scott R on 9/05/00 at 17:48 (027313)

Dr. Z, I can't determine if they are in financial need as easily as your office can, and I can't decide if they need the treatment better than you, so I don't think I should be involved. There aren't any other criteria for selecting. I can't think of a need for a 'club' other than what we already have, which has to stay public and free.

But on rare occasions someone does something to help me like offer to edit the 'book' for free (Nancy S) or send me useful email and make useful design hints about the message board (John H). So if you wanted to treat them for free or at reduced cost I wouldn't complain. Hey, I just noticed John H isn't in the database.

john h on 9/05/00 at 19:06 (027325)

i have a secret program that removes my name from all data bases and replaces it with a name called 'rock'.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 19:58 (027332)

WIll Rock please post your progress notes on my orbasone location. I need the ratings. Other orbasone sites have found me . Just added some progress reports . McPoyle went from a three to a zero after a second treatment. I waited about six weeks to see if the first would do the trick. I need to find a way for the orbasone to make house calls.

Dena on 9/06/00 at 06:24 (027364)

Just a thought but someone from this group e-mailed me that they had Alzner inserts but after using them 1 or 2 realized that they weren't what they needed. They read where I was going to try ordering some to see if that would help and they have generously offered to send them to me. This is wonderful since I'm one of the ones with insurance problems that leave me without medical assistance for my pf (both feet). Since I live on Social Security because of a disability, I've spent too many precious dollars on items that I end up throwing away.

Maybe we (you since I'm such a newbie here I really can't consider myself part of the group) could coordinate something like this. Obviously not for old, worn out items but for those things that are quickly recognized as incompatible with our feet.

Dumb idea?

Beverly on 9/06/00 at 19:32 (027414)

I like that idea. We have talked about it before... about pooling barely used Birks, athletic shoes, and otc orthodics that did not work. I have given away several pairs of supposedly 'PF friendly' shoes to friends because they did not work for me. I would have much rather given those athletic shoes to a PF person with low finances.

It seems like we would need someone on the board we know well... regular poster who would be willing to volunteer to 'collect' these items. But then how do we distribute them? Determine need? I think it would have to be on an honor system. One simple way is to provide a doctor's letter that states that this patient has no insurance or has limited financial means.

Also, a practical matter. The 'collector' needs to either be on the mend or have a spouse who doesn't mind making trips to the post office.
I know that, because I go out of my way to avoid trips to the post office or even the satelite mail centers, because I can't handle the lines.

Finally, custom orthodics would not be practical or probably even safe to distribute. I think this would only would with otc inserts that fit a wide variety of feet. I see this as being especially wonderful for distributing shoes. How many among us bought a pair of 'reccommended' shoes that did not work and then it was too late to return them?

What do you all think?
Beverly

Dena on 9/06/00 at 20:55 (027424)

Maybe a 'collector' is overcomplicating the idea. Maybe it would simply be a good idea for each individual to keep their eyes open for people who could possibly use items that would otherwise be left in a closet as a dust collector or thrown out. Then that person could make contact with the individual and work something out.

While it doesn't appear that it's going to work out because of size differences, it was so wonderful to have someone offer to send me a set of inserts they had tried twice and couldn't use. They were simply going to mail them to me .. no questions asked and without a charge. It would have been a prayer answered had they been the right size. However, God's interesting in the way He always provides.

I would happily send anything I had that I found was unsuccessful for me to someone else if it might possibly help them.

Beverly on 9/07/00 at 16:20 (027497)

Dena, what size shoe do you wear?
Are you high arched, average, or flat footed?
Do you like a hard shoe like Birks or do you like something softer?
Do you like a firm otc insert or something soft and cushioned?
Perhaps, one of us will have the same kind of foot and can donate some of our shoes or inserts that did not work.

Beverly

Re: Dena, what size do you wear? -- High-arched Birk inserts for the taking

Nancy S. on 9/07/00 at 16:36 (027499)

I'd be happy to send any of my inserts that didn't work (and don't worry, they're not stinky, because I found out quickly).
I spent a bit of money on Birk inserts that are for a Birk size 41 person. They're quite rigid and have a high arch. The arch was too much for me (plus I think I got them too big for me feet).
I would be especially happy to find someone who can use them -- I hate for them to go to waste in my closet.
Nancy

Dena on 9/08/00 at 09:53 (027549)

Beverly:

I wear a size 9 shoe (hopefully, that's not classified as clown size) and a fairly high arch. I sent my foot impression to Alzner and they said I would wear a size 7 insert.

I've gone through everything Dr. Scholl has to offer and am now resorting to stacking 2 different kinds on top of each other and taping both feet. I'm probably doing more damage than helping but I have to be able to walk a little bit.

Checked w/ a local foot doctor to find out how much a self-funded visit would be? YOIKES!!! $248 for a first time consultation. Guess I just keep plugging away on my own .. well, not exactly on my own since I found this site!!!

Dena