Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

John, what's up?

Posted by Barbara S. on 9/05/00 at 10:14 (027238)

Have you suffered repercussions from your two hour mallathon? B.

Re: John, what's up?

john h on 9/05/00 at 11:45 (027245)

barbara: i almost afraid to post positive comments because i am afraid i will jinx myself. my pain level has not got above a 2 since my orbasone treatment. after my mall excursion i went to the club and walked a mile, rode the bike for 15 minutes,did some weights and stretching, iced the feet, whirlpool with my feet straight up into some powerful jets. this morning i am still at a 2 or less. i have not worn anything but birk sandals. even wore them around the track. doing some towell stretching on toes,achilles,calves, and hamstrings. i can think of no other reason for my improvement other that ESWT. It is only 9 days post treatment and i never rule out the dreaded word 'relapse'!
At this point i cannot imagine why anyone who has been a long time sufferer of PF should not try ESWT! i have had this for over 6 years. without question (IMHO) this should be tried before surgery is considered. it is not an inexpensive treatment but what price do you put on getting rid of this type pain? If you have had PF for a long time you should run,walk, or crawl to someone who can provide this treatment. it will not work for everyone but it sure beats the alternatives. i think i will be able to make some long term assessment of my treament at about the 12 week period.
i can also see where a 2nd or 3rd treatment (at least with the orbasone) may make sense in some cases. my initial cost included a 2nd and 3rd treatment if needed other than cost of supplies (new spark plug, etc. $250)

salina on 9/05/00 at 12:38 (027254)

John, I am glad to hear you are doing so well after the treatment.
I think of you (in a foot way) every day, and hope this did the trick for you. I am definately going to try eswt before any type of surgery.
You seem to be very active right now. I'm sure it feels so wonderful. But try not to overdo it.
Are you doing anything right now to keep your feet stretched, like nightsplints, footflex, etc? Or are you just living the life of a nonPFer?
How active were you before you had the treatment? How did a typical day go as far as pain wise?
thanks for answering my questions. Oh, darn it, I think I should have asked these in the other board, huh? If you want, just go to the symptoms board and post your response there. Sorry. Just so darn curious and excited you are doing so well.

Barbara S. on 9/05/00 at 13:15 (027258)

You sound like you're doing great... I had a heart to heart with my husband about the treatment and he worries about whether it would be a lot of money and trouble (traveling and having someone mind the kids) for no definite improvement... so we are watching you and the other ESWT'ers like a hawk! It must be so wonderful to walk about! I am definately doing better, but still in pain when I walk at all, which is a blessing, because before I was in serious pain just sitting. Tell me if you would - after the treatment were you able to walk out of the office and get in your car, etc.? I worry about traveling with my pf and the degree of pain after the treatment, since I might have to go it alone if husband stays home with the kids. I'm going to a neurologist next Monday, and then a orthopod the week after that. I figure that I have to cover those bases before I decide on ESTW. Perhaps I will bring in all of my info about ESWT. Dr. Z said that a cast was good to try also, but I tried that for two weeks in the beginning and it was the WORST thing I ever did for this thing. Why, I can't tell you. No one seems to be able to tell me why going for two weeks in a cast turned my case from bad to totally acute! So, ESWT might be for me. Pulling for you (from a sitting position), B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 16:53 (027295)

I am glad that you are doing well so far. My opinion is that you need to have 2nd and 3rd treatment if there is no reponse within the first week. I believe unless I am told wrong that the orbasone and the ossatron are at the same level of joules/mm2 at the focal point. I am doing 3000 shocks and the ossatron treatment program is 1500

It's ashame that I can't confirm this.

I also believe at this time that if you don't get alot of relief with other treatments within two-three weeks and you can afford the ESWT treatment that go for it. To wait for months and months with PT, medications, injections, and whatevery doesn't make sense to me.

I would like to find out what it costs the insurance companies to pay for for treatments such as medicaiton ( and that's not counting the side effects that have to be treated) physical therapy, orthosis and you name it.

I believe that ESWT is cheaper and will prove to be as effective as any surgical and non- surgical treatment availabel in the right patient This is a bold statement to make but I hope to prove this someday.

Sue R on 9/05/00 at 17:18 (027304)

John, Can you tell us what it does cost? I know it may differ for different doctors, but how about your treatment? And is insurance picking up anything?

Thanks,
Sue R

Sue R on 9/05/00 at 17:18 (027306)

John, Can you tell us what it does cost? I know it may differ for different doctors, but how about your treatment? And is insurance picking up anything?

Thanks,
Sue R

Re: question for Dr. Z...John, what's up?

Sue R on 9/05/00 at 17:20 (027307)

If my pain is in the lower half of the arch, would I be a candidate for this procedure? I have little heel pain now.

Thanks,

Sue R

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:24 (027309)

It should be at the insertion of the pf into the heel bone. It sounds like your is distal to this area. Sorry no ESWT !!

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:30 (027311)

We charge $1875 for one foot. Two feet. $2475.

Any retreat is $250 per foot.

We do have Care Credit which is an interest free one year payment plan. If you need specific's just e-mail me at (email removed)

Re: one more time..question for Dr. Z...John, what's up?

Sue R on 9/05/00 at 18:07 (027314)

What if there is pain there too? Isn't it possible for eswt to help a little in other areas as well?

john h on 9/05/00 at 18:45 (027320)

insurance pays zip!!!!

john h on 9/05/00 at 18:54 (027322)

salina: i do not want to leave the impression i am cured or back where i was before pf. 6 years ago i ran 5 miles a day 7 days a week and was almost an older version of rock. i was driven. for the past year i have rarely walked more than a mile and standing for any length of time was a killer. it has only been 9 days since my treatment and i think about 3 months from now i will have a better idea if my improvement is lasting and resulted from the orbasone. my goal is to be able to walk 3 miles a day at a fast pace 5-6 days a week. i dream of running again but will be happy just to power walk. i am prepared to do 1 or 2 more treatments of orbasone if that is what it takes. i have to contol my self as my brain is still in the i can do anything mode. i do regularly use a night splint, alternating each night with the other foot. i do use the foot flex some and a towell some for stretching. probably not enough. my pain level since treatment has ranged from 1.4 to 2.5 whereas i would average about a 5 before treatment and somedays maybe a 6.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 19:42 (027331)

Yes but the main area should be at the insertion.

Re: No it's "WHAAASSSSUUUUUPPPP?" EOM ;)

wendyn on 9/05/00 at 21:55 (027347)

no message

john h on 9/06/00 at 10:29 (027378)

you must enjoy the same commercials i do so you must watch some sports wendy.

john h on 9/06/00 at 15:31 (027394)

barbara: i went alone because my wife actually slows me down with pitt stops every 30 minutes. there was actually no pain after the treatment. the effects of the local wore off in about 3 hours. immediately after my 2nd foot was done at 8am i drove to baltimore/washington airport 2.5 hours and caught a plane to st louis where i had a 4.5 hour wait for flight to little rock. walking around the airports is a real pain and everything seems to be late and planes filled to capacity. the motel i stayed at was about 15 minutes from dr z's office. i do not know how your feet would react to the treatment or what pain level you might be at. what state are you in? dr z is in new jersey. there is a treatment center in chicago,florida, and california that i know of. yes it is expensive but so is pain. there are no guarantees. it is important to discuss your symptoms thoroughly before going to insure you have a good chance of success. if you have pain where the fascia attaches to the heel and can reproduce it by pressing on the spot then you are probably a good candidate for the procedure. 1st step pain is also a good indicator. go to ask the doctor or phone dr z and discuss your condition with him. he just yesterday offered to do one procedure a month 'free' for someone who was strapped for the money. i have talked to 3 doctors who have been using the orbasone since the begining of the year and all show a good rate of success in greatly reducing the pain of PF or even curing it. feel free to email me or call me by phone and i will tell you my thoughts and experience (email removed) or mobile 501.590.0950.

john h on 9/05/00 at 11:45 (027245)

barbara: i almost afraid to post positive comments because i am afraid i will jinx myself. my pain level has not got above a 2 since my orbasone treatment. after my mall excursion i went to the club and walked a mile, rode the bike for 15 minutes,did some weights and stretching, iced the feet, whirlpool with my feet straight up into some powerful jets. this morning i am still at a 2 or less. i have not worn anything but birk sandals. even wore them around the track. doing some towell stretching on toes,achilles,calves, and hamstrings. i can think of no other reason for my improvement other that ESWT. It is only 9 days post treatment and i never rule out the dreaded word 'relapse'!
At this point i cannot imagine why anyone who has been a long time sufferer of PF should not try ESWT! i have had this for over 6 years. without question (IMHO) this should be tried before surgery is considered. it is not an inexpensive treatment but what price do you put on getting rid of this type pain? If you have had PF for a long time you should run,walk, or crawl to someone who can provide this treatment. it will not work for everyone but it sure beats the alternatives. i think i will be able to make some long term assessment of my treament at about the 12 week period.
i can also see where a 2nd or 3rd treatment (at least with the orbasone) may make sense in some cases. my initial cost included a 2nd and 3rd treatment if needed other than cost of supplies (new spark plug, etc. $250)

salina on 9/05/00 at 12:38 (027254)

John, I am glad to hear you are doing so well after the treatment.
I think of you (in a foot way) every day, and hope this did the trick for you. I am definately going to try eswt before any type of surgery.
You seem to be very active right now. I'm sure it feels so wonderful. But try not to overdo it.
Are you doing anything right now to keep your feet stretched, like nightsplints, footflex, etc? Or are you just living the life of a nonPFer?
How active were you before you had the treatment? How did a typical day go as far as pain wise?
thanks for answering my questions. Oh, darn it, I think I should have asked these in the other board, huh? If you want, just go to the symptoms board and post your response there. Sorry. Just so darn curious and excited you are doing so well.

Barbara S. on 9/05/00 at 13:15 (027258)

You sound like you're doing great... I had a heart to heart with my husband about the treatment and he worries about whether it would be a lot of money and trouble (traveling and having someone mind the kids) for no definite improvement... so we are watching you and the other ESWT'ers like a hawk! It must be so wonderful to walk about! I am definately doing better, but still in pain when I walk at all, which is a blessing, because before I was in serious pain just sitting. Tell me if you would - after the treatment were you able to walk out of the office and get in your car, etc.? I worry about traveling with my pf and the degree of pain after the treatment, since I might have to go it alone if husband stays home with the kids. I'm going to a neurologist next Monday, and then a orthopod the week after that. I figure that I have to cover those bases before I decide on ESTW. Perhaps I will bring in all of my info about ESWT. Dr. Z said that a cast was good to try also, but I tried that for two weeks in the beginning and it was the WORST thing I ever did for this thing. Why, I can't tell you. No one seems to be able to tell me why going for two weeks in a cast turned my case from bad to totally acute! So, ESWT might be for me. Pulling for you (from a sitting position), B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 16:53 (027295)

I am glad that you are doing well so far. My opinion is that you need to have 2nd and 3rd treatment if there is no reponse within the first week. I believe unless I am told wrong that the orbasone and the ossatron are at the same level of joules/mm2 at the focal point. I am doing 3000 shocks and the ossatron treatment program is 1500

It's ashame that I can't confirm this.

I also believe at this time that if you don't get alot of relief with other treatments within two-three weeks and you can afford the ESWT treatment that go for it. To wait for months and months with PT, medications, injections, and whatevery doesn't make sense to me.

I would like to find out what it costs the insurance companies to pay for for treatments such as medicaiton ( and that's not counting the side effects that have to be treated) physical therapy, orthosis and you name it.

I believe that ESWT is cheaper and will prove to be as effective as any surgical and non- surgical treatment availabel in the right patient This is a bold statement to make but I hope to prove this someday.

Sue R on 9/05/00 at 17:18 (027304)

Thanks,
Sue R

Sue R on 9/05/00 at 17:18 (027306)

Thanks,
Sue R

Sue R on 9/05/00 at 17:20 (027307)

If my pain is in the lower half of the arch, would I be a candidate for this procedure? I have little heel pain now.

Thanks,

Sue R

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:24 (027309)

It should be at the insertion of the pf into the heel bone. It sounds like your is distal to this area. Sorry no ESWT !!

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:30 (027311)

We charge $1875 for one foot. Two feet. $2475.

Any retreat is $250 per foot.

We do have Care Credit which is an interest free one year payment plan. If you need specific's just e-mail me at (email removed)

Sue R on 9/05/00 at 18:07 (027314)

What if there is pain there too? Isn't it possible for eswt to help a little in other areas as well?

john h on 9/05/00 at 18:45 (027320)

insurance pays zip!!!!

john h on 9/05/00 at 18:54 (027322)

salina: i do not want to leave the impression i am cured or back where i was before pf. 6 years ago i ran 5 miles a day 7 days a week and was almost an older version of rock. i was driven. for the past year i have rarely walked more than a mile and standing for any length of time was a killer. it has only been 9 days since my treatment and i think about 3 months from now i will have a better idea if my improvement is lasting and resulted from the orbasone. my goal is to be able to walk 3 miles a day at a fast pace 5-6 days a week. i dream of running again but will be happy just to power walk. i am prepared to do 1 or 2 more treatments of orbasone if that is what it takes. i have to contol my self as my brain is still in the i can do anything mode. i do regularly use a night splint, alternating each night with the other foot. i do use the foot flex some and a towell some for stretching. probably not enough. my pain level since treatment has ranged from 1.4 to 2.5 whereas i would average about a 5 before treatment and somedays maybe a 6.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 19:42 (027331)

Yes but the main area should be at the insertion.

wendyn on 9/05/00 at 21:55 (027347)

no message

john h on 9/06/00 at 10:29 (027378)

you must enjoy the same commercials i do so you must watch some sports wendy.

john h on 9/06/00 at 15:31 (027394)

barbara: i went alone because my wife actually slows me down with pitt stops every 30 minutes. there was actually no pain after the treatment. the effects of the local wore off in about 3 hours. immediately after my 2nd foot was done at 8am i drove to baltimore/washington airport 2.5 hours and caught a plane to st louis where i had a 4.5 hour wait for flight to little rock. walking around the airports is a real pain and everything seems to be late and planes filled to capacity. the motel i stayed at was about 15 minutes from dr z's office. i do not know how your feet would react to the treatment or what pain level you might be at. what state are you in? dr z is in new jersey. there is a treatment center in chicago,florida, and california that i know of. yes it is expensive but so is pain. there are no guarantees. it is important to discuss your symptoms thoroughly before going to insure you have a good chance of success. if you have pain where the fascia attaches to the heel and can reproduce it by pressing on the spot then you are probably a good candidate for the procedure. 1st step pain is also a good indicator. go to ask the doctor or phone dr z and discuss your condition with him. he just yesterday offered to do one procedure a month 'free' for someone who was strapped for the money. i have talked to 3 doctors who have been using the orbasone since the begining of the year and all show a good rate of success in greatly reducing the pain of PF or even curing it. feel free to email me or call me by phone and i will tell you my thoughts and experience (email removed) or mobile 501.590.0950.