Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tophi?

Posted by Barbara S. on 9/05/00 at 11:43 (027244)

Someone mentioned to me the possibility that I have tophi in the soft tissues of my heel... they say this is a tumor of some kind from an improper diet. Is this a 'for real' possibility? I had an MRI, and no one mentioned this in the MRI report. Would and MRI catch somthing like that? Thanks.

Re: Tophi?

Dr. Biehler on 9/05/00 at 14:28 (027265)

Tophi looks like cottage cheese when it is expressed. It is one of the symptoms when you have gout. You usually can also find it in the lower ear loabs. If you have the papuals under the skin around the heels it is probably from fat pad herniations. The fat is sliding out from underneith the heel where it is really needed. Dr. Biehler

Pauline on 9/05/00 at 21:24 (027341)

Wouldn't an MRI pick this up? If it didn't show then you don't have it. Is this correct?

Barbara S. on 9/05/00 at 22:03 (027348)

My heels feel just fine to the touch, and my MRI showed only a thickened plantar fascia and mild edema (unnoticable on the outside of my foot). There is only a tiny lump on the fascia itself of you really press hard - it is a sore spot. I thought gout was only localized in joints... B.

Dr. Biehler on 9/06/00 at 06:22 (027363)

Gout errodes the joints and can be extremely painful durring a flair up. It is the kind of pain where the weight of a bed sheet on the toes is too much to bear. The tophi ( when present in chronig gout ) show up as nodules, usually large. You can't miss them on visual inspection. Dr. Biehler

Dr. Biehler on 9/05/00 at 14:28 (027265)

Tophi looks like cottage cheese when it is expressed. It is one of the symptoms when you have gout. You usually can also find it in the lower ear loabs. If you have the papuals under the skin around the heels it is probably from fat pad herniations. The fat is sliding out from underneith the heel where it is really needed. Dr. Biehler

Pauline on 9/05/00 at 21:24 (027341)

Wouldn't an MRI pick this up? If it didn't show then you don't have it. Is this correct?

Barbara S. on 9/05/00 at 22:03 (027348)

My heels feel just fine to the touch, and my MRI showed only a thickened plantar fascia and mild edema (unnoticable on the outside of my foot). There is only a tiny lump on the fascia itself of you really press hard - it is a sore spot. I thought gout was only localized in joints... B.

Dr. Biehler on 9/06/00 at 06:22 (027363)

Gout errodes the joints and can be extremely painful durring a flair up. It is the kind of pain where the weight of a bed sheet on the toes is too much to bear. The tophi ( when present in chronig gout ) show up as nodules, usually large. You can't miss them on visual inspection. Dr. Biehler