Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Debating whether to try another custom orthodic. Question

Posted by Beverly on 9/05/00 at 16:52 (027294)

Dr Z. or Dr. B,

I am debating whether to try another custom orthodic. I tried one back when I first got this... didn't help. But my current sports med doctor is very unimpressed with the way it was made. It was a 'soft' orthodic.

I have tried scads of otc orthodics. My best luck has been with the green Spenco. I like the arch support but also it has a little cushion.
Superfeet were too hard, and silicone was too smushy/not enough support. I am going to visit a store that carries the Powerstep you mentioned the other day.

My other clue to give you is that I do better with a Birk and Dansko than I do with a Mephesto. Do you have any suggestions?
My feet are a little high in arch but not alot and I have a small dorsal bunion. My PF pain is mostly in the arch, heel pain secondary.

My doctor says I could have a temporary orthodic made to see how well it works before spending the big bucks on a permnanent set. He has a guy he likes for making it.

Finally, I see the doctor next week. I am eager to ask him about the nerve block you mentioned. One question: if this blocks out the pain but my foot has not actually heeled, am I not at risk for doing further injury? I am not a runner, but I would enjoy returning to shopping and 'light' walking on treadmill, normal activities.

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: Debating whether to try another custom orthodic. Question

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:08 (027298)

The foot is only numb for twenty four hours. So after that you can feel anything and everything. What the block doesn is increase circulaton to the foot and stop the pain cycle at the time of the block . What happens is the foot relaxes and then inflamation is reduced.

Now for orthosis. Well I alway say put your money where your mouth is
In my office orthosis have a money back return policy . If wearing the orthosis for 90 and you aren't satisfied then back goes your money . I do charge $485 for orthosis. If you can't stand behind the product then you shouldn't offer it to patients. All products in my office have this guarantee policy. Very few returns believe it or not.

Re: Debating whether to try another custom orthodic.

Br. Biehler on 9/05/00 at 17:10 (027299)

If you are having problems in the arch, you might need some kind of posting on an orthotic being forefoot, rearfoor or both. If you like the spenco, I would use that as a base and build up what ever support you need with felt. You can use felt for arch pads, met pads, posts or what ever else is needed. Only when you find a combination that works would I recomend another custom orthotic. As far as the nerve block goes: It is only temporary lasting as long as the lidocain or bupivicain , mabe 6 to 8 hours. It does give the nerve a time to rest, get rid of some of the pain chemicals and dialate the vesicals in the area allowing good oxygenated blood in to help calm the nerve. The foot will be pain free and numb. Just take it easy and you won't cause further damage. Dr. Biehler

Beverly on 9/05/00 at 23:45 (027352)

Thank you for clearing up my nerve block question. I am definitely going to see about getting one/series.

Dr. B, that is a creative idea about building up my Spenco. Some of our board folks are very mechanically gifted. They cook and rebuild their orthodics. I am not one of those people. Could you give me a
'Build up the Spenco with Felt for Dummies' version? How would I go about it. Where would I start?

Thank you,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 9/06/00 at 06:03 (027360)

Building up the spenco is something the podiatrist who is going to be making the permanate orthotiic should do. You have to know what you are compensating for when you do the build ups, this requires a biomechanical evaluation of your feet. Dr. Biehler

john a on 9/06/00 at 11:08 (027382)

It caught my eye when you mentioned that superfeet felt too hard, but yet you like birks: very curious! It's just the opposite for me. Powerstep is about as hard as superfeet, thought the arch is higher and springier. You can get powerstep at http://www.footsmart.com for $25 (hmmm, they were $20 a month ago) with free shipping up til Sept. 13 when you mention promotional code IP05 in the special instructions section on the checkout page.

Re: Powerstep

Beverly on 9/06/00 at 19:38 (027416)

John, Powerstep has caught my attention since hearing Dr. Z. reccommend it.I have located a store here in town that carries them. I will go take a look at them and see if I like them better than my Spenco. And yes, it is strange that I like Birks but not Superfeet. I think the arch in the Superfeet hits me in the wrong place. It's not the hardness of the Superfeet that bothers me as much as it is the arch, and I like a distinctive arch; so I can only conclude that the Superfeet arch hits me in the wrong place.

And Dr. B., I am relieved that your suggestion is to have the orthodics person build up my Spenco. I couldn't see myself attempting that.
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 17:08 (027298)

The foot is only numb for twenty four hours. So after that you can feel anything and everything. What the block doesn is increase circulaton to the foot and stop the pain cycle at the time of the block . What happens is the foot relaxes and then inflamation is reduced.

Now for orthosis. Well I alway say put your money where your mouth is
In my office orthosis have a money back return policy . If wearing the orthosis for 90 and you aren't satisfied then back goes your money . I do charge $485 for orthosis. If you can't stand behind the product then you shouldn't offer it to patients. All products in my office have this guarantee policy. Very few returns believe it or not.

Br. Biehler on 9/05/00 at 17:10 (027299)

If you are having problems in the arch, you might need some kind of posting on an orthotic being forefoot, rearfoor or both. If you like the spenco, I would use that as a base and build up what ever support you need with felt. You can use felt for arch pads, met pads, posts or what ever else is needed. Only when you find a combination that works would I recomend another custom orthotic. As far as the nerve block goes: It is only temporary lasting as long as the lidocain or bupivicain , mabe 6 to 8 hours. It does give the nerve a time to rest, get rid of some of the pain chemicals and dialate the vesicals in the area allowing good oxygenated blood in to help calm the nerve. The foot will be pain free and numb. Just take it easy and you won't cause further damage. Dr. Biehler

Beverly on 9/05/00 at 23:45 (027352)

Thank you for clearing up my nerve block question. I am definitely going to see about getting one/series.

Dr. B, that is a creative idea about building up my Spenco. Some of our board folks are very mechanically gifted. They cook and rebuild their orthodics. I am not one of those people. Could you give me a
'Build up the Spenco with Felt for Dummies' version? How would I go about it. Where would I start?

Thank you,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 9/06/00 at 06:03 (027360)

Building up the spenco is something the podiatrist who is going to be making the permanate orthotiic should do. You have to know what you are compensating for when you do the build ups, this requires a biomechanical evaluation of your feet. Dr. Biehler

john a on 9/06/00 at 11:08 (027382)

It caught my eye when you mentioned that superfeet felt too hard, but yet you like birks: very curious! It's just the opposite for me. Powerstep is about as hard as superfeet, thought the arch is higher and springier. You can get powerstep at http://www.footsmart.com for $25 (hmmm, they were $20 a month ago) with free shipping up til Sept. 13 when you mention promotional code IP05 in the special instructions section on the checkout page.

Re: Powerstep

Beverly on 9/06/00 at 19:38 (027416)

John, Powerstep has caught my attention since hearing Dr. Z. reccommend it.I have located a store here in town that carries them. I will go take a look at them and see if I like them better than my Spenco. And yes, it is strange that I like Birks but not Superfeet. I think the arch in the Superfeet hits me in the wrong place. It's not the hardness of the Superfeet that bothers me as much as it is the arch, and I like a distinctive arch; so I can only conclude that the Superfeet arch hits me in the wrong place.

And Dr. B., I am relieved that your suggestion is to have the orthodics person build up my Spenco. I couldn't see myself attempting that.
Beverly