Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Dr. Zuckerman..please fill in the gaps...

Posted by VickiJ on 9/05/00 at 20:23 (027335)

I know you believe strongly in ESWT. I am seriously considering coming to you for orbosane treatment, but the survey posted on this site regarding ESWT leaves me asking a few more questions...so I'm hoping you can find the time to answer these questions for me. (I'm posting them here rather than emailing you directly because I think others will be interested in gaining more thorough information as well)

Regarding the patients with PF that you have treated with ESWT, how long have you been using ESWT?

What percentage of patients with chronic pf pain (I define it as pain that caused them to completely alter work and lifestyle) experienced complete relief..no more pain? (I do understand that it takes time for the treatment to work, if it is going to)

How many of those who experienced complete relief required more than one treatment to the same foot?

And, most importantly to me, how long has ESWT been used for pf...is there any documentation...your own or others...as to how long those patients who did experience complete relief stayed pain free? ARe there any people walking around out there who have been pain free for 'years' after ESWT? In other words, when ESWT is successful, what is the relapse rate?

Thank you so very much for taking time to give me these specifics.

sincerely
VickiJ

Re: Question for Dr. Zuckerman..please fill in the gaps...

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/06/00 at 09:01 (027373)

I have been using ESWT since Jan 26,2000.
About 20% will need a second treatment on the same foot. It's low but a very important techical point. In my opinion you should do a second treatment after two weeks if either they are in pain. Or there is still alot of tightness in the area.

I have to refer to the studies done by Dr. Rhompe from Germany. This article is on Scott board. If you can't find it let me know I have a copy of it and will fax or mail it to you. This was low energy. There is an other with high energy that talks about one year follow up with a 62% cure rate and 85% of patient were satisfied with reults.

Again if you can't find these articles let me know and I will get them for you. There were no long term complications. If you saw and knew what I know about foot surgery (heel spur) then you would have ESWT done before foot surgery. If there is any other question just ask and I will try to answer. Please understand I don't know all of the answer .

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/06/00 at 09:11 (027374)

There is one other question I don't think I answered.

What percentage of chronic pf patients who couldn't work or their life style was altered are painfree.

Alot of my patient have had pain for years some steady some off and on some couldn't work. Some couldn't excerise some couldnt't stand for any length of time.

This is a tough question and I don't know the percentages . There are two patients that come to my mind which made me believe in ESWT.

One was in depression due to the pain. After the procedure she slept off and on for on week due to the ability to sleep from no pain in her foot. I thought at first that she was out of her mind when I first met her. Very nervous, crying anxious etc. Today one of the most intelligent and very likeable person in my practice.

The second was out on disabiltiy couldn't work. Took two treatments back at the post office working eight hours or more each day on her feet.

This doesn't happen with any other treatments so soon that I know of.
Never happened with foot surgery. These were chronic severe pain patients.

This isn't an advertizement just my experience.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/06/00 at 09:01 (027373)

I have been using ESWT since Jan 26,2000.
About 20% will need a second treatment on the same foot. It's low but a very important techical point. In my opinion you should do a second treatment after two weeks if either they are in pain. Or there is still alot of tightness in the area.

I have to refer to the studies done by Dr. Rhompe from Germany. This article is on Scott board. If you can't find it let me know I have a copy of it and will fax or mail it to you. This was low energy. There is an other with high energy that talks about one year follow up with a 62% cure rate and 85% of patient were satisfied with reults.

Again if you can't find these articles let me know and I will get them for you. There were no long term complications. If you saw and knew what I know about foot surgery (heel spur) then you would have ESWT done before foot surgery. If there is any other question just ask and I will try to answer. Please understand I don't know all of the answer .

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/06/00 at 09:11 (027374)

There is one other question I don't think I answered.

What percentage of chronic pf patients who couldn't work or their life style was altered are painfree.

Alot of my patient have had pain for years some steady some off and on some couldn't work. Some couldn't excerise some couldnt't stand for any length of time.

This is a tough question and I don't know the percentages . There are two patients that come to my mind which made me believe in ESWT.

One was in depression due to the pain. After the procedure she slept off and on for on week due to the ability to sleep from no pain in her foot. I thought at first that she was out of her mind when I first met her. Very nervous, crying anxious etc. Today one of the most intelligent and very likeable person in my practice.

The second was out on disabiltiy couldn't work. Took two treatments back at the post office working eight hours or more each day on her feet.

This doesn't happen with any other treatments so soon that I know of.
Never happened with foot surgery. These were chronic severe pain patients.

This isn't an advertizement just my experience.