Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

walking cast, removable

Posted by Paula on 9/06/00 at 15:06 (027387)

still can't bear wwight on left foot. back in wheel chair and resprained ankle while teetering around to favor foot. wondering if anyone has ever tried a walking cast . i have one from when i broke some toes. it would be great to get on feet and maybe even to my car after being housebound or even just to walk to bathroom. my removable walking cast was for left foot, can it be used on right foot? maybe this is a question for dr z or for anyone who knows.

Re: walking cast, removable

Nancy S. on 9/06/00 at 15:33 (027395)

Paula, I've been using a walking (air) cast for, oh let's see, I think 4 or 5 weeks. You should be able to tell if you can switch feet with it -- if it's squared off at the toes and the inside bottom is a generic foot shape, you should be able to switch.
I now switch mine every few days, because I have PF in one foot but tendonitis in both feet.
The doctor wished he could have gotten both feet at once into casts. I quickly realized that would never work, though. It has a rocker bottom, and I'd fall and crack my head open. Almost did anyway, until I got used to it!
Give it a try, anyway -- it gives the irritated foot a good rest, and if it gets you out and about a little more, that's important.
Nancy

Re: To Nancy walking cast, removable

Pauline on 9/07/00 at 08:31 (027451)

Nancy,
Does your boot consist of a hard plastic shell and lined in a softer material on the inside. I was given one by the Dr several months ago. It was knee high and covered the entire foot and leg. Valcroed closed and had additional straps that pulled it even tighter. It had a rocker bottom. When I tried to walk in it it caused extreme pain in my arch as it pressed against it almost like an orthotic. The other foot was straining because of the height of the boot with the rocker bottom. The boot made my legs uneven. Do you have this problem? I put mine on the rocker but would like to try it again.
The problem is if I had something to my running shoe and still can't wear the boot, my shoes are ruined. They are the only ones that provide me any comfort so I am sort of afraid to do anything to them.
I never thought of them as my security blanket, but you know I think that is what they have become.

Nancy S. on 9/07/00 at 09:10 (027457)

Pauline, your walking cast sounds exactly like mine. But mine is an air cast -- the soft material on the inside can be inflated with air using a little squeeze pump, so that it can hold my foot and leg just right. Is yours an air cast?
The 'footbed' in my cast is completely flat. Does yours have a built-in arch that caused you trouble? Mine is so flat that I stuck a Spenco insert in there to provide a little arch support.
I did have the level-height problem. At first I tried wearing the cast on my left foot and a Birkenstock on my right! Imagine. After a couple of days I had wicked low-back pain. I switched the Birk for a hiking boot, and then put in two layers of otc inserts, which brought me up almost level with the cast. It seems good enough, though not perfect. No more back pain.
If that hadn't worked, my husband was going to cut the sole from an older pair of running shoes and glue it onto another shoe that I don't like so well. (Like you, I don't want to ruin my hiking shoes or any Birks.) Do you have any older pairs you could experiment with this way?
All this isn't ideal -- for me, Birks are ideal -- but the rest that my PF and tendonitis get from the cast seem worth it for a time.
Nancy

Pauline on 9/07/00 at 11:42 (027480)

Hi Pauline - I know you've targeted Nancy with this post but because my experience is similar to yours I took a chance on imposing!
I had the same velcro brace/cast as you and had the same experience. In fact, I honestly think that that initiated my extra tendonitis in my arch. I followed that with a real cast that REALLY caused more pain - a tendonitis that I'm still dealing with, and the icing on the cake, I think, was trying to wear orthotics. I could feel all of them making demands on my arches and now I'm dealing with a tendonitis that is independant of the PF - more or less! I have very high arches also. My PT thinks that the orthotics, in the long run, have inhibited my big toe muscle from being able to access the ground completely and do it's normal 'push off'.

Re: To Nancy & Pauline walking cast, removable

Pauline on 9/07/00 at 16:04 (027496)

Thank You for responding. The boot is flat inside but striking as I walk causes me great pain. The same thing seems to happen when I try using my orthotics any of them. I have 4 custom made pairs.

I beginning to think I may have more going on with sensitive nerves
in the bottom of my feet now. Yesterday I had tingling and a light
burning, my legs you could not even touch. Everything from the knees down felt very badly brused. I felt like I had been in a car accident or fell sking. Today I went to the Dr. and told him this story.
He ordered blood test for sugar and gave me an injection of various
vitamins. I actually feel better today, with hardly any pain in
legs or feet. This is wird stuff.

wendyn on 9/07/00 at 17:23 (027500)

Pauline - I'd be almost willing to bet he gave you a B12 injection. Can you find out?

Re: To Wendyn walking cast, removable

Pauling on 9/09/00 at 12:12 (027708)

Wendyn,
Got B1, B6, B12, and Calcium I think.

Re: walking cast, removable

Nancy S. on 9/06/00 at 15:33 (027395)

Paula, I've been using a walking (air) cast for, oh let's see, I think 4 or 5 weeks. You should be able to tell if you can switch feet with it -- if it's squared off at the toes and the inside bottom is a generic foot shape, you should be able to switch.
I now switch mine every few days, because I have PF in one foot but tendonitis in both feet.
The doctor wished he could have gotten both feet at once into casts. I quickly realized that would never work, though. It has a rocker bottom, and I'd fall and crack my head open. Almost did anyway, until I got used to it!
Give it a try, anyway -- it gives the irritated foot a good rest, and if it gets you out and about a little more, that's important.
Nancy

Pauline on 9/07/00 at 08:31 (027451)

Nancy,
Does your boot consist of a hard plastic shell and lined in a softer material on the inside. I was given one by the Dr several months ago. It was knee high and covered the entire foot and leg. Valcroed closed and had additional straps that pulled it even tighter. It had a rocker bottom. When I tried to walk in it it caused extreme pain in my arch as it pressed against it almost like an orthotic. The other foot was straining because of the height of the boot with the rocker bottom. The boot made my legs uneven. Do you have this problem? I put mine on the rocker but would like to try it again.
The problem is if I had something to my running shoe and still can't wear the boot, my shoes are ruined. They are the only ones that provide me any comfort so I am sort of afraid to do anything to them.
I never thought of them as my security blanket, but you know I think that is what they have become.

Nancy S. on 9/07/00 at 09:10 (027457)

Pauline, your walking cast sounds exactly like mine. But mine is an air cast -- the soft material on the inside can be inflated with air using a little squeeze pump, so that it can hold my foot and leg just right. Is yours an air cast?
The 'footbed' in my cast is completely flat. Does yours have a built-in arch that caused you trouble? Mine is so flat that I stuck a Spenco insert in there to provide a little arch support.
I did have the level-height problem. At first I tried wearing the cast on my left foot and a Birkenstock on my right! Imagine. After a couple of days I had wicked low-back pain. I switched the Birk for a hiking boot, and then put in two layers of otc inserts, which brought me up almost level with the cast. It seems good enough, though not perfect. No more back pain.
If that hadn't worked, my husband was going to cut the sole from an older pair of running shoes and glue it onto another shoe that I don't like so well. (Like you, I don't want to ruin my hiking shoes or any Birks.) Do you have any older pairs you could experiment with this way?
All this isn't ideal -- for me, Birks are ideal -- but the rest that my PF and tendonitis get from the cast seem worth it for a time.
Nancy

Pauline on 9/07/00 at 11:42 (027480)

Hi Pauline - I know you've targeted Nancy with this post but because my experience is similar to yours I took a chance on imposing!
I had the same velcro brace/cast as you and had the same experience. In fact, I honestly think that that initiated my extra tendonitis in my arch. I followed that with a real cast that REALLY caused more pain - a tendonitis that I'm still dealing with, and the icing on the cake, I think, was trying to wear orthotics. I could feel all of them making demands on my arches and now I'm dealing with a tendonitis that is independant of the PF - more or less! I have very high arches also. My PT thinks that the orthotics, in the long run, have inhibited my big toe muscle from being able to access the ground completely and do it's normal 'push off'.

Pauline on 9/07/00 at 16:04 (027496)

Thank You for responding. The boot is flat inside but striking as I walk causes me great pain. The same thing seems to happen when I try using my orthotics any of them. I have 4 custom made pairs.

I beginning to think I may have more going on with sensitive nerves
in the bottom of my feet now. Yesterday I had tingling and a light
burning, my legs you could not even touch. Everything from the knees down felt very badly brused. I felt like I had been in a car accident or fell sking. Today I went to the Dr. and told him this story.
He ordered blood test for sugar and gave me an injection of various
vitamins. I actually feel better today, with hardly any pain in
legs or feet. This is wird stuff.

wendyn on 9/07/00 at 17:23 (027500)

Pauline - I'd be almost willing to bet he gave you a B12 injection. Can you find out?

Re: To Wendyn walking cast, removable

Pauling on 9/09/00 at 12:12 (027708)

Wendyn,
Got B1, B6, B12, and Calcium I think.