Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm new, here is my story

Posted by BridgetH on 9/06/00 at 19:46 (027417)

Have had pain for 1 1/2 years. Diagnosed in Feb and sent to Podiatrist. He made soft orthotics for me and sent me on my way. After much adjusting to the orthotics, he sent me to therapy for ultrasound and massage. The therapists ended up doing low dye taping and said if that made me feel better, it was a good indication I required HARD orthotics and not the soft flexible ones. The tape felt fantastic for a few weeks (3 times a week) but now does not seem as effective. Does anyone have thoughts on hard verses soft orthotics? I can't even remember what it is like to walk pain free anymore. I am so jealous of the 'power walkers' in my neighborhood.

Thanks for any help, advice
Bridget

Re: I'm new, here is my story

Dr. Biehler on 9/06/00 at 21:08 (027426)

Soft orthotics usually are accomodative, they should absorbe alot of the shock the foot gets when walking. Hard orthotics are usually functional, they can slow down pronation and and realign the position your bones are in to help them perform better if that is needed. The lowdye strapping helps keep an arch on the foot the same way hard or medium orthotics do. This helps take pressure of the fascia which hopfully will give it time to heal.

wendyn on 9/06/00 at 22:20 (027435)

we are all jealous of those power walkers! Taping seems to help a lot of people with PF. I know that the hard orthotics are supposed to be the way to go, and a lot of people do great with them. There are however, those of us that developed new - often much more severe pain after wearing hard orthotics for several months. Some of us with TTS believe that it developed FROM wearing the hard orthotics although we have no actual proof.

It may be worth a try, but respect any new pain you may develop and don't ignore it.

Steve P on 9/07/00 at 14:46 (027489)

Bridget -- A year & a half is a long time. What is your treatment program? Are you doing self-massage, icing, using a nightsplint, taking an anti-inflammatory, etc? Just curious.

thanks.........Steve

Bridget on 9/07/00 at 20:25 (027516)

I am doing stretching, ice and massage at home and therapy does ultrasound and taping. I was given a perscription for Aleve (600mg) but did not have it filled cause I wanted to see if the therapy made me feel better or the pills. I am having it filled tomorrow though. I work in a nursing home in activities and the pain started with the job. I used to work in cubicle land and now I walk all day. I was told I have flat feet and the new job brought the problem out in the form of PF. I never had any problems before and walked extensively for exercise. Now, I can't walk, gained lots of weight and can't exercise it off the way I want. Catch 22.
Bridget

Bridget on 9/07/00 at 20:27 (027517)

I am convinced surgery is not the way to go yet for me and just want to try to hard ones to see. My Pod said if the soft orthotics don't make me feel better I will need surgery. This makes no sense to me. Happily, I am not afraid to get a new doctor!

Bridget on 9/07/00 at 20:29 (027519)

I was told I have flat feet when I walk. If my feet are in the air, there is an arch but when I stand and walk, it flattens out. My brother has flat feet too. The therapist said since my problem is stemming from how my foot was made, I need the hard ones to force my feet to keep the arch. Does that sound right?

Thanks for all the help!

Bridget

Rosie A on 9/08/00 at 13:16 (027570)

Hi Bridget,

Sorry about your feet. I use hard orthodics and at first they were making my feet worse. Got mad a my 1st pod. and went to a new one. He get my orthodics, shook his head and say, 'Who adjusted these?' He promptly re-adjusted them and they work wonderfully now. He also double checked the fact that I did need orthodics by doing a tape job on my feet. Oh, who thought tape could feel so good. Anyway, it can hurt any worse to try the orthodics. Good luck.

Dr. Biehler on 9/06/00 at 21:08 (027426)

Soft orthotics usually are accomodative, they should absorbe alot of the shock the foot gets when walking. Hard orthotics are usually functional, they can slow down pronation and and realign the position your bones are in to help them perform better if that is needed. The lowdye strapping helps keep an arch on the foot the same way hard or medium orthotics do. This helps take pressure of the fascia which hopfully will give it time to heal.

wendyn on 9/06/00 at 22:20 (027435)

we are all jealous of those power walkers! Taping seems to help a lot of people with PF. I know that the hard orthotics are supposed to be the way to go, and a lot of people do great with them. There are however, those of us that developed new - often much more severe pain after wearing hard orthotics for several months. Some of us with TTS believe that it developed FROM wearing the hard orthotics although we have no actual proof.

It may be worth a try, but respect any new pain you may develop and don't ignore it.

Steve P on 9/07/00 at 14:46 (027489)

Bridget -- A year & a half is a long time. What is your treatment program? Are you doing self-massage, icing, using a nightsplint, taking an anti-inflammatory, etc? Just curious.

thanks.........Steve

Bridget on 9/07/00 at 20:25 (027516)

I am doing stretching, ice and massage at home and therapy does ultrasound and taping. I was given a perscription for Aleve (600mg) but did not have it filled cause I wanted to see if the therapy made me feel better or the pills. I am having it filled tomorrow though. I work in a nursing home in activities and the pain started with the job. I used to work in cubicle land and now I walk all day. I was told I have flat feet and the new job brought the problem out in the form of PF. I never had any problems before and walked extensively for exercise. Now, I can't walk, gained lots of weight and can't exercise it off the way I want. Catch 22.
Bridget

Bridget on 9/07/00 at 20:27 (027517)

I am convinced surgery is not the way to go yet for me and just want to try to hard ones to see. My Pod said if the soft orthotics don't make me feel better I will need surgery. This makes no sense to me. Happily, I am not afraid to get a new doctor!

Bridget on 9/07/00 at 20:29 (027519)

I was told I have flat feet when I walk. If my feet are in the air, there is an arch but when I stand and walk, it flattens out. My brother has flat feet too. The therapist said since my problem is stemming from how my foot was made, I need the hard ones to force my feet to keep the arch. Does that sound right?

Thanks for all the help!

Bridget

Rosie A on 9/08/00 at 13:16 (027570)

Hi Bridget,

Sorry about your feet. I use hard orthodics and at first they were making my feet worse. Got mad a my 1st pod. and went to a new one. He get my orthodics, shook his head and say, 'Who adjusted these?' He promptly re-adjusted them and they work wonderfully now. He also double checked the fact that I did need orthodics by doing a tape job on my feet. Oh, who thought tape could feel so good. Anyway, it can hurt any worse to try the orthodics. Good luck.