Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Trying PFT again/Getting ready for upcoming appt. with sports med doc./New treatment ideas

Posted by Beverly on 9/07/00 at 00:46 (027439)

Okay. I'm giving the PFT another try. Dr. Z.'s reccomendation of the product has me convinced I need to try it again. Plus, my therapist likes the device.

Therapist and I are hoping that I simply used it with too much force when left alone on my own. (Felt okay the one time I used it with PT watching/instructing but after I used it at home over a few days, I had increased pain.) I told her I would try it again if we could just use it in PT for a couple of weeks until I definitely have the hang of it.

I see my orthopedic sports med doc next week. I am hoping he will renew my PT. I am considering trying the following things, and plan to discuss them with him. I would appreciate any thought from you all:
1. Nerve blocks as suggested by Dr. Z. to try to break pain cycle
2. Night splint (would try it if I could use the soft fabric kind)
3. Acupuncture
4. Getting really serious about my diet (I'm a little overweight but not an extreme amount. I am 5. ft. 5 and wear a size 14. I have been an 8-10 in past years. I wonder if I lost 30 lbs if that along with conservative treatment might 'fix' me.)
5. giving orthodics one more try (but NOT the hard kind)

Beverly

Re: Trying PFT again/Getting ready for upcoming appt. with sports med doc./New treatment ideas

Denise on 9/07/00 at 06:20 (027446)

Beverly, I'm a newcomer to PFT. What is it?

Re: Trying PFT again/Getting ready for upcoming appt. with sports med doc./New treatment ideas

Nancy S. on 9/07/00 at 07:17 (027448)

Hi Beverly,
I'll just address the things I've had experience with.
The night splint (the cushioned kind, Johnson&Johnson) helped reduce my morning pain. I think anything that does that is a leap in the right direction -- avoiding the mini-tears that cause that first-steps pain.
I also have no doubt that losing 30 pounds can't hurt and can only help -- takes a lot of pressure off the feet while standing or walking.
I really haven't had any luck with orthotics, but I tried only one custom pair (hard) and many otc pairs. If you have the money, I would try again, getting them from someone who really studies your feet and will continue to work on them for you if they're not right to start with.
Are you getting ice now after PT? Hope so!
Nancy

Re: To Denise

Beverly on 9/07/00 at 13:08 (027484)

The PFT is a stretching/strengthening device. It stands for 'Personal Foot Trainer.' Look at it on the product page and do a word search.
Some people hear swear by them. Others did not find success.
Dr. Z. uses them alot.
Beverly

Denise on 9/07/00 at 06:20 (027446)

Beverly, I'm a newcomer to PFT. What is it?

Nancy S. on 9/07/00 at 07:17 (027448)

Hi Beverly,
I'll just address the things I've had experience with.
The night splint (the cushioned kind, Johnson&Johnson) helped reduce my morning pain. I think anything that does that is a leap in the right direction -- avoiding the mini-tears that cause that first-steps pain.
I also have no doubt that losing 30 pounds can't hurt and can only help -- takes a lot of pressure off the feet while standing or walking.
I really haven't had any luck with orthotics, but I tried only one custom pair (hard) and many otc pairs. If you have the money, I would try again, getting them from someone who really studies your feet and will continue to work on them for you if they're not right to start with.
Are you getting ice now after PT? Hope so!
Nancy

Re: To Denise

Beverly on 9/07/00 at 13:08 (027484)

The PFT is a stretching/strengthening device. It stands for 'Personal Foot Trainer.' Look at it on the product page and do a word search.
Some people hear swear by them. Others did not find success.
Dr. Z. uses them alot.
Beverly