Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

birki noppies as a cure for PF??

Posted by PaulS on 9/07/00 at 01:41 (027440)

Here in Germany where I live, Birkenstock sell a shoe called Birki Noppy. This basically has the same shape and form as the regular Birkenstock but you stand on a bed of stiff rubber nails. A work colleague said he wore them for a few weeks when he had a bad case of PF and they cured him completely (together with an aggressive course of NSAIDS.) Apparently, the shoe is effective because it gives the foot a constant massage to improve circulation.
I tried a pair on for ten minutes in a shop but they were really painful on my sore arch so I decided against buying them. (Stepping back into my regular Birkenstocks afterwards was like treading on a thick bed of rose petals!)
My question: does anyone have experience of wearing this shoe?

(If you want to see what they look like, their site is at: http://www.birki.de - follow the links to Noppy).

Re: birki noppies as a cure for PF??

alan k on 9/07/00 at 07:48 (027450)

For a reflexology sandal they look good, because they have the birk shape. Wearing another nobbie rubber sandal in the shower, I once experienced a twinge after stepping barefoot out of the nobbie sandals. This was after having pf in what seemed to be complete remission. The twinge later developed into a set-back that took several weeks of exercise to douse out. I have stopped wearing massage sandals because of that.

This is just one expereince, though.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Lori E. on 9/07/00 at 15:08 (027492)

I tried these shoes and they HURT. I gave it a go, trying to break them in slowly, but I just couldn't wear them without pain. I ended up returning them. They might work for someone who has a tougher soles on their feet, but I just couldn't find a way to make them comfortable and wearable. Try them first for at least 20 min. before you buy them. I had to send mine back to Germany. Good luck.

Karen Stl on 9/13/00 at 10:24 (028087)

It's my understanding that the noppies are only to be worn for 5 minutes to increase circulation in tired feet. They are not be worn as a shoe.

PaulS on 9/14/00 at 01:18 (028188)

Thanks, Karen. Nothing in the brochures I have from Birkenstock states how long the Noppies should be worn. I think I'll try writing to them and asking directly for advice. I'll report back if I get a useful answer.

alan k on 9/07/00 at 07:48 (027450)

For a reflexology sandal they look good, because they have the birk shape. Wearing another nobbie rubber sandal in the shower, I once experienced a twinge after stepping barefoot out of the nobbie sandals. This was after having pf in what seemed to be complete remission. The twinge later developed into a set-back that took several weeks of exercise to douse out. I have stopped wearing massage sandals because of that.

This is just one expereince, though.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Lori E. on 9/07/00 at 15:08 (027492)

I tried these shoes and they HURT. I gave it a go, trying to break them in slowly, but I just couldn't wear them without pain. I ended up returning them. They might work for someone who has a tougher soles on their feet, but I just couldn't find a way to make them comfortable and wearable. Try them first for at least 20 min. before you buy them. I had to send mine back to Germany. Good luck.

Karen Stl on 9/13/00 at 10:24 (028087)

It's my understanding that the noppies are only to be worn for 5 minutes to increase circulation in tired feet. They are not be worn as a shoe.

PaulS on 9/14/00 at 01:18 (028188)

Thanks, Karen. Nothing in the brochures I have from Birkenstock states how long the Noppies should be worn. I think I'll try writing to them and asking directly for advice. I'll report back if I get a useful answer.