Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Explaining ESWT to my doctors...

Posted by Barbara S. on 9/07/00 at 11:16 (027476)

My proposal is this: I find the cost of travel and ESWT prohibitive, and I've got really little ones at home I don't want to be away from. I want to propose getting a ESWT machine to my local doctors, and hopefully, in return for my research and proposal, they will zap me for a discount. I'm posting this on the boards to give others the idea as well.

I wanted to ask you what you charge to train other doctors (if you are willing) and what your machine costs to purchase/maintain. Since I am impressed with Dr. Z's protocols for using the machine (which require an anesthetic shot), I also wanted to ask if chiropractors can administer these shots as well. I plan to give my proposal to anyone who will listen, even if I have to hike there with the baby on my back! Anything that you might be able to tell me about how to make my proposal more effective would be greatly appreciated. I am in Texas, and its a long, long way to anyone who does ESWT. I think it would be very lucrative for anyone who is willing. Thanks! My E-mail is included in my post. Barbara

Re: Explaining ESWT to my doctors...

john h on 9/07/00 at 11:21 (027478)

barbara: i would think on final approval by the fda of the OssaTron that there will be ESWT near you at places like Baylor,Dallas,etc. fda approval should be comming soon perhaps by the end of the month. i have been staying in touch with healthtronics as to where treatments will be offered and will post when i know. first place it appears will be in Chattanooga, Tn with Dr. Alverez who is already trained and has a machine in place.

Re: Isn't there a program in Galveston?

Beverly on 9/07/00 at 16:24 (027498)

Isn't there a program in Galveston at the medical school?
I know the clincial trials are over but are they doing it at a fee for service?
I keep hoping conservative treatment will work for me, and at only six months, I think it is soon for me to be planning the EWST, but I sure am interested in keeping up with it just in case.
Beverly

Barbara S. on 9/07/00 at 19:06 (027506)

I keep hoping the same thing for me, Beverly, but I seem stuck at the same level of mobility and pain. I had slight symptoms in the fall and stopped walking (anywhere) at the end of May. Now I'm walking from room to room again with minor pain, but over 20 steps and the pain begins to increase. I can tiptoe around, but I can't stride normally without pain. Just how do I make a decision like this? I know that if the Ossatron were across the street I would have done it a long time ago. What are the factors that will go into your decision to have the treatment or not? It would be a major thing for me - having to haul the baby and and my little guy through the airport with this useless foot, finding a place to stay, etc. One possibility for me is finding a place in Canada that is near Detroit where my in-laws are. They have already come down to help me manage the kids when my PF was worse. Keep me updated on what you do! Thanks a bunch! B

P.S. Are you in Texas too?

Barbara S. on 9/07/00 at 19:13 (027507)

That would be wonderful, John, if Baylor would do it. I would be the first sitting in line. I have an appointment at Baylor with a orthopedic guy into sports medicine - I will give all my research to him. I will be in touch with Healthtronics too - that is a very good idea. Keep me informed if you find out anything... Thanks!!!! B.

john h on 9/07/00 at 20:28 (027518)

baylor was on the original list of facilities to participate in the fda studies. they were never involved however but i suspect are familiar with the procedure since they were on the original list.

Re: To John h Explaining ESWT to my doctors...

Pauline on 9/08/00 at 15:23 (027579)

John,
Is anyone on the list to get OssaTron in Michigan?

john h on 9/08/00 at 16:24 (027597)

the only people i talk to are in chattanooga and they are familiar with atlanta, birmingham, and chattanooga. they thought there was a machine in upstate new york that may be ready to go on approval.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 18:10 (027613)

Keep looking at the healthronic web site. I believe there is an FDA elbow study going on in upstate New York. As soon as the machine are in place I am sure that you know very quickly on heelspur.com

john h on 9/07/00 at 11:21 (027478)

barbara: i would think on final approval by the fda of the OssaTron that there will be ESWT near you at places like Baylor,Dallas,etc. fda approval should be comming soon perhaps by the end of the month. i have been staying in touch with healthtronics as to where treatments will be offered and will post when i know. first place it appears will be in Chattanooga, Tn with Dr. Alverez who is already trained and has a machine in place.

Beverly on 9/07/00 at 16:24 (027498)

Isn't there a program in Galveston at the medical school?
I know the clincial trials are over but are they doing it at a fee for service?
I keep hoping conservative treatment will work for me, and at only six months, I think it is soon for me to be planning the EWST, but I sure am interested in keeping up with it just in case.
Beverly

Barbara S. on 9/07/00 at 19:06 (027506)

I keep hoping the same thing for me, Beverly, but I seem stuck at the same level of mobility and pain. I had slight symptoms in the fall and stopped walking (anywhere) at the end of May. Now I'm walking from room to room again with minor pain, but over 20 steps and the pain begins to increase. I can tiptoe around, but I can't stride normally without pain. Just how do I make a decision like this? I know that if the Ossatron were across the street I would have done it a long time ago. What are the factors that will go into your decision to have the treatment or not? It would be a major thing for me - having to haul the baby and and my little guy through the airport with this useless foot, finding a place to stay, etc. One possibility for me is finding a place in Canada that is near Detroit where my in-laws are. They have already come down to help me manage the kids when my PF was worse. Keep me updated on what you do! Thanks a bunch! B

P.S. Are you in Texas too?

Barbara S. on 9/07/00 at 19:13 (027507)

That would be wonderful, John, if Baylor would do it. I would be the first sitting in line. I have an appointment at Baylor with a orthopedic guy into sports medicine - I will give all my research to him. I will be in touch with Healthtronics too - that is a very good idea. Keep me informed if you find out anything... Thanks!!!! B.

john h on 9/07/00 at 20:28 (027518)

baylor was on the original list of facilities to participate in the fda studies. they were never involved however but i suspect are familiar with the procedure since they were on the original list.

Pauline on 9/08/00 at 15:23 (027579)

John,
Is anyone on the list to get OssaTron in Michigan?

john h on 9/08/00 at 16:24 (027597)

the only people i talk to are in chattanooga and they are familiar with atlanta, birmingham, and chattanooga. they thought there was a machine in upstate new york that may be ready to go on approval.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 18:10 (027613)

Keep looking at the healthronic web site. I believe there is an FDA elbow study going on in upstate New York. As soon as the machine are in place I am sure that you know very quickly on heelspur.com