Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 wk post op question

Posted by Pat M. on 9/07/00 at 20:06 (027514)

Well, here it is folks. It has been 5 wks since surgery. (Open Release) After 3 wks I was told to walk. I did. I'm sure that you remember the calf pain that caused such a panic!!!! My new problem. For the last two days... I am having a lot of pain in my heal and arch. I know that the pain travels some after surgery, but I was doing really, really well until I got up yesterday morning. My foot hurts just opposite the normal PF spot constantly. It doesn't matter whether I have pressure or no pressure. I have considered calling the doc, but don't want to sound like an alarmist. This has not let up since yesterday morning.
The only thing that I can think of is that on Tuesday while in my classroom I was just walking and felt a stabbing pain just below my heal near the arch. I have had several pains, of course, but this one sticks in my mind. So tell me, am I being ridiculous? Should I just 'wait and see' or what? Any help is great.
Forgive me if I have put this on the wrong board, but I couldn't decide between, surgery, ask the doc or pain and symptoms.
Pat

Re: 5 wk post op question

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/07/00 at 22:26 (027529)

Very typical with pf surgery. I tell patients that the healing is like a wave (up and down), it gets better and then it can get bad. For some reason which is usually six months it just stops. I have no idea why this happens but this is the pf surgery healing story. Up and down and then just stops. I use the wave comparison because when I am telling this story before the surgery i use my hands and move them like a wave. It goes up and down it gets better and then some times it gets worse and then it just one day stops. This has been the same for the past twenty two years of foot surgery. Six months seems to be the time. Patients can't believe when just about six months this up and down pain cycle just stops.

Re: Dr. Z...could this be lateral destabilization?

T. Hurst on 9/07/00 at 23:08 (027536)

Pat - you describe now having pain on the outside/lateral part of the heel, as opposed to the normal pf pain on the inside/medial part. After epf surgery, I experienced this same pain - pf type pain, only on the outside of the heel. After researching this site, I found that I had a very common complication of this surgery...lateral destabilization of the calcaneocuboid joint. The part of the fascia on the lateral/outside of the foot which is not cut now experiences more stress (hence the pulling and pf pain). The doc solved this problem very easily be placing a cuboid pad (just a slightly raised area) on the lateral edge of my orthodic. Problem solved, easy as that. I would ask your doc about it. It is pretty funny to bring your self-diagnosis to the doc! Of course, I'm a biologist and not a doc, so there is my disclaimer.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 18:04 (027612)

This is exactly what some of the pain is from. I am sorry that I didn't tell you to discuss this with your doctor.
Thanks

Re: 5 wk post op question

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/07/00 at 22:26 (027529)

Very typical with pf surgery. I tell patients that the healing is like a wave (up and down), it gets better and then it can get bad. For some reason which is usually six months it just stops. I have no idea why this happens but this is the pf surgery healing story. Up and down and then just stops. I use the wave comparison because when I am telling this story before the surgery i use my hands and move them like a wave. It goes up and down it gets better and then some times it gets worse and then it just one day stops. This has been the same for the past twenty two years of foot surgery. Six months seems to be the time. Patients can't believe when just about six months this up and down pain cycle just stops.

T. Hurst on 9/07/00 at 23:08 (027536)

Pat - you describe now having pain on the outside/lateral part of the heel, as opposed to the normal pf pain on the inside/medial part. After epf surgery, I experienced this same pain - pf type pain, only on the outside of the heel. After researching this site, I found that I had a very common complication of this surgery...lateral destabilization of the calcaneocuboid joint. The part of the fascia on the lateral/outside of the foot which is not cut now experiences more stress (hence the pulling and pf pain). The doc solved this problem very easily be placing a cuboid pad (just a slightly raised area) on the lateral edge of my orthodic. Problem solved, easy as that. I would ask your doc about it. It is pretty funny to bring your self-diagnosis to the doc! Of course, I'm a biologist and not a doc, so there is my disclaimer.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 18:04 (027612)

This is exactly what some of the pain is from. I am sorry that I didn't tell you to discuss this with your doctor.
Thanks