Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can anyone convince hubby-Pain Management-Have any tried it????

Posted by Bonny C. on 9/07/00 at 23:48 (027537)

My husband has been fighting planter facitis now for well over 1- 1 1/2 years. he has had a thing to sleep with, doesn't like it. And 3 orthodic devices for his shoes. He says they help a little. he has had shots, meds and has been considering surgery. I have myofascial pain syndrome- involving back and neck. Regular therapy didn't work. Finally went to a pain management clinic where their PT was much more intense. Hurt like heck for the first 10 or so visits. Also got some dry needles in the muscles. They work on plantar facisits also. My hubby thinks junk even though this place has been wwonderfu for me but it took a year or so. Have any of you had results with this type of therapy and or needles?? Instead of surgery, wouldn't this be a viable option. Please reply. Thanks, Bonny

Re: Can anyone convince hubby-Pain Management-Have any tried it????

Pauline on 9/08/00 at 15:19 (027578)

Bonnie,
Convincing husband may be harder than you think. You can only give
him the information and he has to decide for himself to seak treatment and try different. Apparently he doesn't feel that desperate yet so I don't think you will have a great deal of success by nagging. I hope he joins the board, because just by reading he will gain a great deal of insight and information. I think the pain clinic is a good idea and the dry needles is just something I learned about recently by someone posting it. I'd give it a try. From the other posting I believe it was successful. Perhaps your waiting on him too much, to help with his pain. Sometimes tough love will send him running for new approaches for treatment. You can always print postings and lay them by his dinner plate for reading!
Good luck and I wish him a speedy recovery---if there is such a thing for PF.

Terry on 9/08/00 at 18:28 (027619)

Bonny C. - I am having myofascial release PT now. I really am amazed at how well it is going. Back in the spring, I begged my ortho for surgery. He wouldn't do it. In June/July I had decided that I was having surgery and talked to my orthotics guy about it. He talked me out of it in a big hurry. Of course, he only sees the failures and not the successes. Anyway, after about 3 or 4 sessions with PT, I was able to take my 2 small kids to a minor league baseball game. Hubby was working, and I never would have attempted that alone before the treatments. You can use the search for 'myofascial release' and 'ART'. There is a ton of info here. Maybe you can convince him it is worth a try. If not, let him spend a few hours reading past posts regarding surgery. As far as the accupuncture, I did not any luck with it but serveral on this board have. Good luck to you, Terry P. S. I am really glad my ortho wouldn't do surgery.

Pauline on 9/08/00 at 15:19 (027578)

Bonnie,
Convincing husband may be harder than you think. You can only give
him the information and he has to decide for himself to seak treatment and try different. Apparently he doesn't feel that desperate yet so I don't think you will have a great deal of success by nagging. I hope he joins the board, because just by reading he will gain a great deal of insight and information. I think the pain clinic is a good idea and the dry needles is just something I learned about recently by someone posting it. I'd give it a try. From the other posting I believe it was successful. Perhaps your waiting on him too much, to help with his pain. Sometimes tough love will send him running for new approaches for treatment. You can always print postings and lay them by his dinner plate for reading!
Good luck and I wish him a speedy recovery---if there is such a thing for PF.

Terry on 9/08/00 at 18:28 (027619)

Bonny C. - I am having myofascial release PT now. I really am amazed at how well it is going. Back in the spring, I begged my ortho for surgery. He wouldn't do it. In June/July I had decided that I was having surgery and talked to my orthotics guy about it. He talked me out of it in a big hurry. Of course, he only sees the failures and not the successes. Anyway, after about 3 or 4 sessions with PT, I was able to take my 2 small kids to a minor league baseball game. Hubby was working, and I never would have attempted that alone before the treatments. You can use the search for 'myofascial release' and 'ART'. There is a ton of info here. Maybe you can convince him it is worth a try. If not, let him spend a few hours reading past posts regarding surgery. As far as the accupuncture, I did not any luck with it but serveral on this board have. Good luck to you, Terry P. S. I am really glad my ortho wouldn't do surgery.