Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and back pain related?

Posted by karene on 9/08/00 at 00:08 (027539)

I have had pf for seven years, not as bad now, but especially acts up when I spend a lot of time standing in one place, along with lower back pain and hip pain that sometimes shoots down the back of my thigh. Can all this be related? I haven't gotten any good answers. The first two years of pf, I had cotisone injections, ultrasound treatments, and a hard cast, along with physical therapy and strecthing exercises. At times, I could barely walk and literally crawled through the house in the middle of the night. I wear military-type boots and the outside edge of the heel will wear down a half to three-quarters an inch while the inside edge still looks new? Is this normal? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Re: PF and back pain related?

Dr. Biehler on 9/08/00 at 06:20 (027542)

I lot of heel pain is really refered pain from the lower back. If you have pain that traveles up you leg, this is a good sign your problem has a back componet to it. The back out side of the heel does wear down first. Dr. Biehler

Richard C.Ped on 9/08/00 at 08:23 (027545)

Are you flat footed? The majority of the PF patients I see are. During my exam, I always ask them if they have lower back pain. Nine times out of ten the answer is yes. Flat footed people have their alignment thrown out. When I give their two week follow up after they receive their inserts, I usually ask them if their back feels better. Again 9 out of 10 the answer is yes. A short leg diagnosis is another cause of hip and back pain that I have seen. Please keep in mind that I am not a physician and I do not play one on TV. :-) I fill prescriptions for orthotics and shoes, but I am trained to spot other conditions as well. The physicians on the board know a heck of a lot more that I do.
Richard C.Ped

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 23:24 (027655)

I have found that alot of patients that present with abnormal foot function and or mal-alignment such as a condition that causes excessive pronation( this is motion that will rotate the entire leg , hip and back. ) can cause lower back pain. We are assuming that you don't have any injury to the back or any neurological conponent such as a herniated dis and or spinal stenosis. of the lower back. Alot of the population have lower back pain that can be resolved with biomechanical orthosis that are made by either a podiatrist trained in biomechanics , or just go see Richard C. Ped. Just reading his explantions tells me his asute knowledge.of the human gait and foot function. Most of my recent knowledge and training has come from the field of pedorthist ( what is the noun for this)

Nancy S. on 9/08/00 at 23:39 (027663)

Dr. Z., the noun for the 'field of pedorthist': a quiz I can't resist.
Pedorthism?
Pedorthadiatry?
Pedorth?
Pedorthosis?
Pedorthiraniatism?
Pedorthology?
Pedo . . . oh never mind.

Re: Name for Richard...

Barbara S. on 9/09/00 at 12:04 (027705)

My personal favorite: PEDORTHODUDE ;)

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/10/00 at 07:16 (027805)

Since we are on the subject of nouns. The proper noun for a biomechanical device that corrects foot mal-alignment and controls abnormal motion is called an orthosis . This is about the only English I know and we all know my grammer and spelling ability.So an orthosis can be made by a podiatrist who knows and understands the biomechanical function of the foot or just know how to fix feet with an orthotic I know orthosis. If you have a podiatrist who just make the orthosis and out the door then you have better find a certified pedorthodude which can be a podiatrist and or a now what is the noun again.

Richard C.Ped on 9/11/00 at 08:36 (027882)

I am a Certified Pedorthist in the field of Pedorthics. I appreciate your kind words about me Dr. Z. You are correct, the proper term is orthosis. Forgive me for using orthotics all the time. I am humbled.
Is your office in Phylly or Pittsburgh?
Richard C.Ped

Dr. Biehler on 9/08/00 at 06:20 (027542)

I lot of heel pain is really refered pain from the lower back. If you have pain that traveles up you leg, this is a good sign your problem has a back componet to it. The back out side of the heel does wear down first. Dr. Biehler

Richard C.Ped on 9/08/00 at 08:23 (027545)

Are you flat footed? The majority of the PF patients I see are. During my exam, I always ask them if they have lower back pain. Nine times out of ten the answer is yes. Flat footed people have their alignment thrown out. When I give their two week follow up after they receive their inserts, I usually ask them if their back feels better. Again 9 out of 10 the answer is yes. A short leg diagnosis is another cause of hip and back pain that I have seen. Please keep in mind that I am not a physician and I do not play one on TV. :-) I fill prescriptions for orthotics and shoes, but I am trained to spot other conditions as well. The physicians on the board know a heck of a lot more that I do.
Richard C.Ped

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 23:24 (027655)

I have found that alot of patients that present with abnormal foot function and or mal-alignment such as a condition that causes excessive pronation( this is motion that will rotate the entire leg , hip and back. ) can cause lower back pain. We are assuming that you don't have any injury to the back or any neurological conponent such as a herniated dis and or spinal stenosis. of the lower back. Alot of the population have lower back pain that can be resolved with biomechanical orthosis that are made by either a podiatrist trained in biomechanics , or just go see Richard C. Ped. Just reading his explantions tells me his asute knowledge.of the human gait and foot function. Most of my recent knowledge and training has come from the field of pedorthist ( what is the noun for this)

Nancy S. on 9/08/00 at 23:39 (027663)

Dr. Z., the noun for the 'field of pedorthist': a quiz I can't resist.
Pedorthism?
Pedorthadiatry?
Pedorth?
Pedorthosis?
Pedorthiraniatism?
Pedorthology?
Pedo . . . oh never mind.

Barbara S. on 9/09/00 at 12:04 (027705)

My personal favorite: PEDORTHODUDE ;)

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/10/00 at 07:16 (027805)

Since we are on the subject of nouns. The proper noun for a biomechanical device that corrects foot mal-alignment and controls abnormal motion is called an orthosis . This is about the only English I know and we all know my grammer and spelling ability.So an orthosis can be made by a podiatrist who knows and understands the biomechanical function of the foot or just know how to fix feet with an orthotic I know orthosis. If you have a podiatrist who just make the orthosis and out the door then you have better find a certified pedorthodude which can be a podiatrist and or a now what is the noun again.

Richard C.Ped on 9/11/00 at 08:36 (027882)

I am a Certified Pedorthist in the field of Pedorthics. I appreciate your kind words about me Dr. Z. You are correct, the proper term is orthosis. Forgive me for using orthotics all the time. I am humbled.
Is your office in Phylly or Pittsburgh?
Richard C.Ped