Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any problems with Bromelain?

Posted by Pauline on 9/08/00 at 15:41 (027585)

Has anyone had any problems using Bromelain? As I posted before
I developed a burning, tingling in both feet and leg pains which
made me feel like I had been hit by a truck. I mean really sore, couldn't touch my legs. Stopped Bromelain for two days and no more
pains or tingling but the Dr. did give me an injection of various things including B1, B6, B 12 vitamins. Can't tell if stopping Bromelain made things clear up or the injection? Feeling great today.

Re: Any problems with Bromelain?

Kim B. on 9/08/00 at 17:31 (027604)

I've never had any problems taking bromelain. It seems very gentle to me. Good luck, figuring out the mystery!
Regards, Kim B.

Bob Ray on 9/08/00 at 17:34 (027606)

Bromelain is just the enzyme from Pineapples. It shouldn't have a negative affect. But B-12 injections have been known to cure nerve damage. I wish I could get my doctor to give me B-12 injections.

Steve P on 9/08/00 at 18:12 (027615)

I've had no problem with Bromelain.

Re: About B-12 injections...

Barbara S. on 9/08/00 at 22:58 (027642)

Bob- do you know if some sort of mega-supplement of B-12 could give you the effect of the injections? Are the injections given in the spot that is hurting? I've never heard of this before and I'd like to check it out for my own 'nervy' foot. Thanks!

Re: Vitamin Injections Any problems with Bromelain?

Pauline on 9/09/00 at 12:09 (027706)

My Dr. has believed in giving Vitamin Injections for years. I don't get them on a regular basis only when I seem to need them. I've had
my blood checked several times to check for everything. When I complained about the tingling he immediately ordered new tests for
diabetes and give me the B injection. Sometimes depending on the combination they really give a kick in the hip. I always seem to feel better afterward. I know this last time my tingling seem to calm down and go away. With PF sometimes it's easy to see why they finally come to the conclusion it's all in your head because the strange things that happen just keep changing all the time..
Like everyone else I just keep trying everything. Haven't tried
cutting my feet off yet.

wendyn on 9/09/00 at 14:14 (027720)

I had one injection of B12 - the intense burning let up within 12 hours. I still take supplements, and I'm sure they're making a difference. Do a search on this board for B12 - you may also want to read up on it on the neuropathy BB.

wendyn on 9/09/00 at 14:18 (027722)

Bob - why won't he give you one? Have you had your B12 tested? I think many naturopathic doctors use them theraputically - you may want to see one if your regular MD won't try it.

wendyn on 9/09/00 at 14:35 (027725)

The problem with oral B12 is that some people have a hard time absorbing it. Most multi vitamins contain about 5 mcg of B12. I take 50 mcg 2x a day - one in the morning one at night. You can by them in the drugstore at 100 mcg per pill as well. I have seen 'sublingual' tablets (put them under your toungue) at the health food store - they were 500 mcg I think they were called B12 Dots.

I have also seen them in 1000 mcg tablets. These were all over the counter - none were prescription.

I understand that B12 is a water soluable vitamin and safe to take in high doses - but I'm not a doctor so I'm certainly not in a position to recommend how much someone can take safely. My doctor didn't seem at all concerned about how much I took - he just said to keep taking what I need to to maintain the levels I had. I'll have my blood retested closer to Christmas.

True B12 deficiency doesn't happen very often because your body only uses a small amount and it's easy to get as long as you eat animal products. Some people can't absorb it properly though. It seems there is more information out there now that perhaps people need more of it than they thought before -and that supplements may have theraputic benefits even if a person is not truly deficient.

Symptoms of low B12 can include neuropathy, numbness, tingling, fatigue, lack of concentration and nervousness. In severe deficiency it can cause pernicous anemia,major neurological damage and eventually death.

If you want to go the natural route - calves liver contains amazingly high amounts of B12. You would get a good dose even if you had trouble absorbing it.

Bob Ray on 9/10/00 at 15:38 (027830)

The Natural B-12 (derived from Beef) is the best suppliment. Must be combined with other suppliments to have a chance to be efffective. Alpha Lipoic Acid is a better suppliment. But still should be combined with an Omega 3 Oil and digestive enzymes. MSM with Vitamin C will help either B-12 or ALA get thru to your foot.If I knew the answer to our problems I wouldn't be here at heelspurs. But I will be trying B-12 injections this week and Thai massage later today.
Good luck.

Kim B. on 9/08/00 at 17:31 (027604)

I've never had any problems taking bromelain. It seems very gentle to me. Good luck, figuring out the mystery!
Regards, Kim B.

Bob Ray on 9/08/00 at 17:34 (027606)

Bromelain is just the enzyme from Pineapples. It shouldn't have a negative affect. But B-12 injections have been known to cure nerve damage. I wish I could get my doctor to give me B-12 injections.

Steve P on 9/08/00 at 18:12 (027615)

I've had no problem with Bromelain.

Barbara S. on 9/08/00 at 22:58 (027642)

Bob- do you know if some sort of mega-supplement of B-12 could give you the effect of the injections? Are the injections given in the spot that is hurting? I've never heard of this before and I'd like to check it out for my own 'nervy' foot. Thanks!

Re: Vitamin Injections Any problems with Bromelain?

Pauline on 9/09/00 at 12:09 (027706)

My Dr. has believed in giving Vitamin Injections for years. I don't get them on a regular basis only when I seem to need them. I've had
my blood checked several times to check for everything. When I complained about the tingling he immediately ordered new tests for
diabetes and give me the B injection. Sometimes depending on the combination they really give a kick in the hip. I always seem to feel better afterward. I know this last time my tingling seem to calm down and go away. With PF sometimes it's easy to see why they finally come to the conclusion it's all in your head because the strange things that happen just keep changing all the time..
Like everyone else I just keep trying everything. Haven't tried
cutting my feet off yet.

wendyn on 9/09/00 at 14:14 (027720)

I had one injection of B12 - the intense burning let up within 12 hours. I still take supplements, and I'm sure they're making a difference. Do a search on this board for B12 - you may also want to read up on it on the neuropathy BB.

wendyn on 9/09/00 at 14:18 (027722)

Bob - why won't he give you one? Have you had your B12 tested? I think many naturopathic doctors use them theraputically - you may want to see one if your regular MD won't try it.

wendyn on 9/09/00 at 14:35 (027725)

The problem with oral B12 is that some people have a hard time absorbing it. Most multi vitamins contain about 5 mcg of B12. I take 50 mcg 2x a day - one in the morning one at night. You can by them in the drugstore at 100 mcg per pill as well. I have seen 'sublingual' tablets (put them under your toungue) at the health food store - they were 500 mcg I think they were called B12 Dots.

I have also seen them in 1000 mcg tablets. These were all over the counter - none were prescription.

I understand that B12 is a water soluable vitamin and safe to take in high doses - but I'm not a doctor so I'm certainly not in a position to recommend how much someone can take safely. My doctor didn't seem at all concerned about how much I took - he just said to keep taking what I need to to maintain the levels I had. I'll have my blood retested closer to Christmas.

True B12 deficiency doesn't happen very often because your body only uses a small amount and it's easy to get as long as you eat animal products. Some people can't absorb it properly though. It seems there is more information out there now that perhaps people need more of it than they thought before -and that supplements may have theraputic benefits even if a person is not truly deficient.

Symptoms of low B12 can include neuropathy, numbness, tingling, fatigue, lack of concentration and nervousness. In severe deficiency it can cause pernicous anemia,major neurological damage and eventually death.

If you want to go the natural route - calves liver contains amazingly high amounts of B12. You would get a good dose even if you had trouble absorbing it.

Bob Ray on 9/10/00 at 15:38 (027830)

The Natural B-12 (derived from Beef) is the best suppliment. Must be combined with other suppliments to have a chance to be efffective. Alpha Lipoic Acid is a better suppliment. But still should be combined with an Omega 3 Oil and digestive enzymes. MSM with Vitamin C will help either B-12 or ALA get thru to your foot.If I knew the answer to our problems I wouldn't be here at heelspurs. But I will be trying B-12 injections this week and Thai massage later today.
Good luck.