Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

shoe question

Posted by Sue R on 9/08/00 at 16:06 (027592)

Does anyone know of a soft sandal like shoe with a bit of a heel? I can't wear birks and am tired of these tennis shoes! I need cushion and lots of support.

Any help or ideas would be great!

Sue R

Re: shoe question

Bob Ray on 9/08/00 at 17:30 (027603)

I don't know of a sandle exactly like what you are lookking for. I created my own by combining a Nike sandle with a Spenco Heel cusion orthotic. The Spenco's cost about $20 and the sandles cost about $25.You'll find the off the self inserts at most good sports stores.

Beverly on 9/08/00 at 23:23 (027654)

It will set you back some $$$, but Mephesto has alot of cushion and plenty of arch support and most of them have a negative heel cup similar to Birks (scooped out). I have the Volga sandals. The uppers are especially soft... velcro straps.

If you have a narrow foot, you might like Mephesto's Helen thong. I tried it but it was too narrow for me. My foot is average.

Take a look at Happyfeet.com. You'll find the Mephesto's there.
I have also worn Eccos. They are soft and not as expensive but I don't think they have the same level of support.

One other idea is to have a softing agent injected into your Birk. The stores that specialize in Birks can do that.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 9/08/00 at 23:34 (027661)

Beverly, it's been nagging at me for weeks, what career you should move into. It hit me just now. Shoe consultant! Don't you think so?
Nancy

Re: Consultants, Inc.

JudyS on 9/09/00 at 10:37 (027693)

and you, Nancy, should become a 'Lay-person, PF Consultant Extraordinaire'! You and Beverly could set up shop together (a WebShop?) After all, you wouldn't have any doctorish ego (with much due respect, Dr's Z and B) getting in your way, you've been there and done that with PF, and you have a sensitive and empathetic heart. Then, when the two of you make your first mil, you could treat the rest of us to ESWT! We could have John fly around the country to pick us all up, then we could converge on Dr. Z's place for the first ESWT treatment party! Oh Boy - I'm just getting warmed up here with this idea......I'd bring the music (rock 'n roll ONLY), Laurie could.........Rock could......Scott could......Bob and Bob could.......John A could........Joopie, Lori, Dena, Suzanne, Kim, et al......fill in the blanks!
Dr. Z, hope your place is big enough!

Beverly on 9/09/00 at 12:34 (027710)

Nancy & Judy,

That's pretty funny. Actually, I once thought about having a 'personal shopping business' before PF.

I'm still trying to come up with that career redo. I'm lucky that I sit on my rear end. Doesn't bother the PF, but all these years of writing at a computer is catching up with my bad elbow and wrists (tendonitis there off and on...)

Speaking of shoes, has anyone seen the new Birks on the Happyfeet.com site? One pair actually looks like dressy shoes. They have a Mary Jane look. (But it is a new design... not like previous ones.)

See ya,
Beverly

Bob Ray on 9/08/00 at 17:30 (027603)

I don't know of a sandle exactly like what you are lookking for. I created my own by combining a Nike sandle with a Spenco Heel cusion orthotic. The Spenco's cost about $20 and the sandles cost about $25.You'll find the off the self inserts at most good sports stores.

Beverly on 9/08/00 at 23:23 (027654)

It will set you back some $$$, but Mephesto has alot of cushion and plenty of arch support and most of them have a negative heel cup similar to Birks (scooped out). I have the Volga sandals. The uppers are especially soft... velcro straps.

If you have a narrow foot, you might like Mephesto's Helen thong. I tried it but it was too narrow for me. My foot is average.

Take a look at Happyfeet.com. You'll find the Mephesto's there.
I have also worn Eccos. They are soft and not as expensive but I don't think they have the same level of support.

One other idea is to have a softing agent injected into your Birk. The stores that specialize in Birks can do that.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 9/08/00 at 23:34 (027661)

Beverly, it's been nagging at me for weeks, what career you should move into. It hit me just now. Shoe consultant! Don't you think so?
Nancy

JudyS on 9/09/00 at 10:37 (027693)

and you, Nancy, should become a 'Lay-person, PF Consultant Extraordinaire'! You and Beverly could set up shop together (a WebShop?) After all, you wouldn't have any doctorish ego (with much due respect, Dr's Z and B) getting in your way, you've been there and done that with PF, and you have a sensitive and empathetic heart. Then, when the two of you make your first mil, you could treat the rest of us to ESWT! We could have John fly around the country to pick us all up, then we could converge on Dr. Z's place for the first ESWT treatment party! Oh Boy - I'm just getting warmed up here with this idea......I'd bring the music (rock 'n roll ONLY), Laurie could.........Rock could......Scott could......Bob and Bob could.......John A could........Joopie, Lori, Dena, Suzanne, Kim, et al......fill in the blanks!
Dr. Z, hope your place is big enough!

Beverly on 9/09/00 at 12:34 (027710)

Nancy & Judy,

That's pretty funny. Actually, I once thought about having a 'personal shopping business' before PF.

I'm still trying to come up with that career redo. I'm lucky that I sit on my rear end. Doesn't bother the PF, but all these years of writing at a computer is catching up with my bad elbow and wrists (tendonitis there off and on...)

Speaking of shoes, has anyone seen the new Birks on the Happyfeet.com site? One pair actually looks like dressy shoes. They have a Mary Jane look. (But it is a new design... not like previous ones.)

See ya,
Beverly