Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar faciitis and troconteric bursitis of the hip

Posted by Carolyn H. on 9/08/00 at 19:20 (027622)

I am new to this board and new to this foot pain and hip pain. I have seen two orthopedic surgeons who both have diagnosed troconteric bursitis of the hip and plantar faciitis. I belive that both are related, but which came first? Also, how do I know if my NB running shoes could have caused the plantar faciitis? I am (was ) an avid walker and am really suspicious about these shoes which I started wearing about 1 - 1.5 years ago . My theory is that the shoes started the plantar problems which caused the bursitis to develop. The therapy does not seem to help nor do the stretches. I was given a night splint, but it is so uncomfortable that I cannot sleep!! Will I ever be able to walk and run again??? As you can tell, I am desperate. Thanks!

Re: Plantar faciitis and troconteric bursitis of the hip

salina on 9/08/00 at 20:32 (027629)

I think you should really keep using the nightsplint. But I know how difficult it is to get used to. I got nightsplints the first time I went to the doctor, and at that time it didn't hurt my feet to wear them, the problem was just not being used to that position, and the bulk, and waking up in the middle of the night because of them. I quit using them, and I wish I hadn't. Now my feet are so much more tighter than they were in the beginning of this pf. My right foot is so tight, it hurts to even place it in the nightsplint. That shouldn't be the case, because the nightsplints are designed to put your feet at a slight angle that is pretty normal for your feet to be in. I really think I have let my feet go too long and they are worse off because of it.
I keep a book to read for awhile every night. Because sometimes I feel tired enough to go to sleep, but not tired enough to go to sleep wearing the splints. Big difference for me. So I read for a while til I am about to fall asleep, then I put the book down and pick up the nightsplints (and put them on, dont forget that part). This week it has worked pretty good. I used to put the splints on, then sit and read, thinking by the time I was ready to sleep, my feet would have relaxed and gotten used to them and not bother me. That idea might work for some. But what I found out was, by the time I sat there reading with them on, I was ready to throw them to the floor.
Good luck to you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 23:12 (027648)

I have treated many runners who have had both pf and intra-trochantic bursitis. Abnormal pronation or functioning rotation can cause this problem. I would tape the foot into neutral position if there is abnormal mal-alignment or execessive motion (abnormal) pronation . This may help. What treatments has your orthopedic doctors recommended for the hip pain ???? This is a tough problem to deal with.. I would consider further diagnostic testing such as an MRI to rule out any tendon or muscle tears. I don't know what type of evalutaion you have had but I am sure that all problems such as fracture and or degenerative joijnt disease have been rules out. Tell me more.

salina on 9/08/00 at 20:32 (027629)

I think you should really keep using the nightsplint. But I know how difficult it is to get used to. I got nightsplints the first time I went to the doctor, and at that time it didn't hurt my feet to wear them, the problem was just not being used to that position, and the bulk, and waking up in the middle of the night because of them. I quit using them, and I wish I hadn't. Now my feet are so much more tighter than they were in the beginning of this pf. My right foot is so tight, it hurts to even place it in the nightsplint. That shouldn't be the case, because the nightsplints are designed to put your feet at a slight angle that is pretty normal for your feet to be in. I really think I have let my feet go too long and they are worse off because of it.
I keep a book to read for awhile every night. Because sometimes I feel tired enough to go to sleep, but not tired enough to go to sleep wearing the splints. Big difference for me. So I read for a while til I am about to fall asleep, then I put the book down and pick up the nightsplints (and put them on, dont forget that part). This week it has worked pretty good. I used to put the splints on, then sit and read, thinking by the time I was ready to sleep, my feet would have relaxed and gotten used to them and not bother me. That idea might work for some. But what I found out was, by the time I sat there reading with them on, I was ready to throw them to the floor.
Good luck to you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 23:12 (027648)

I have treated many runners who have had both pf and intra-trochantic bursitis. Abnormal pronation or functioning rotation can cause this problem. I would tape the foot into neutral position if there is abnormal mal-alignment or execessive motion (abnormal) pronation . This may help. What treatments has your orthopedic doctors recommended for the hip pain ???? This is a tough problem to deal with.. I would consider further diagnostic testing such as an MRI to rule out any tendon or muscle tears. I don't know what type of evalutaion you have had but I am sure that all problems such as fracture and or degenerative joijnt disease have been rules out. Tell me more.