Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and twitching toes

Posted by Colleen G on 9/08/00 at 20:00 (027625)

I have had Pf for about 20 months. I had the the conventional release of the first branch. My first DPM told me that the toe twitching that I was experiencing was related to an entraped nerve. EMG/NCV showed no problems. Now, here I am 10 months later with worse heel pain than before and toes twitching more than ever.

I am now on my 5th doctor. The one I am seeing now seems very interested in my case. He sent me for another emg/ncv of the lower extremities. Everything seems normal again according to the test.

Any ideas of what this could be? Are there any other tests that I shold request?

Re: PF and twitching toes

cindyp on 9/08/00 at 20:11 (027628)

Mind you I am no doctor. Nor am i trying to scare you. I have toe twitching of the last two toes. I have a heel neuroma. So I am not saying you have the same thing. I am saying keep trying the doctor route until someone answers your questions.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 22:25 (027638)

If the twitching or pain is in the 4th and 5th toes, if may be damage to the abductor digiti Quinti and or the lateal branch of lateal plantar nerve. Cindy I am having your MRI read on Monday and will contact you about your heel neuroma.

Re: Many Thanks

cindyp on 9/08/00 at 23:33 (027659)

Words cannot express the thanks for the help.

Re: What is a heel nueroma?

Colleen G on 9/09/00 at 10:29 (027692)

It is my fourth and fifth toes that twitch. How is this diagnosed?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/09/00 at 21:56 (027778)

I have posted an article which talks about this. What is states is that the lack of spreading of the 4th and 5th compared to the other foot is absent. Again I have never found this problem so far. I always check when I am doing heel spur surgey at the time and during the procedure to make sure that I didn't cut this muscle. You prevent this problem by having the patient spreading their toes before, during and after the procedure. Never have cut this tendon but I have seen the pain and problems that it can cause if cut.

cindyp on 9/08/00 at 20:11 (027628)

Mind you I am no doctor. Nor am i trying to scare you. I have toe twitching of the last two toes. I have a heel neuroma. So I am not saying you have the same thing. I am saying keep trying the doctor route until someone answers your questions.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 22:25 (027638)

If the twitching or pain is in the 4th and 5th toes, if may be damage to the abductor digiti Quinti and or the lateal branch of lateal plantar nerve. Cindy I am having your MRI read on Monday and will contact you about your heel neuroma.

Re: Many Thanks

cindyp on 9/08/00 at 23:33 (027659)

Words cannot express the thanks for the help.

Colleen G on 9/09/00 at 10:29 (027692)

It is my fourth and fifth toes that twitch. How is this diagnosed?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/09/00 at 21:56 (027778)

I have posted an article which talks about this. What is states is that the lack of spreading of the 4th and 5th compared to the other foot is absent. Again I have never found this problem so far. I always check when I am doing heel spur surgey at the time and during the procedure to make sure that I didn't cut this muscle. You prevent this problem by having the patient spreading their toes before, during and after the procedure. Never have cut this tendon but I have seen the pain and problems that it can cause if cut.