Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sometimes i think my foot would feel better if they just cut it off....

Posted by Marie R on 9/08/00 at 20:02 (027626)

I can't remember when i could walk without pain..i finally got diagnosed and am under treatment, but it now seems to be worse. I don't think i shoud wait until the 26th for my folow-up to see the doctor...or should i? Any suggestions? Thanks

Re: Sometimes i think my foot would feel better if they just cut it off....

Nancy S. on 9/08/00 at 22:25 (027639)

Marie, please don't cut your foot off, even though I know exactly how you feel!
You say you are 'under treatment' but are feeling worse. What kind of treatment are you getting? What kind of doc are you seeing, and what happened at your first appointment? And -- once more -- what does 'under treatment' mean in your case? What is happening between your first appt. and the next one on the 26th?
Nancy

Marie R on 9/09/00 at 17:10 (027735)

Hi Nancy...sorry I wasn't clear before...the treatment i am under is i had to buy new sneakers...which the first pair New Balance made my feet 150% worse...in fact the foot that didn't hurt, hurt when i wore the New Balance....so after 3 days i had to get another pair of sneakers ...this time Saucony...and keep my arches wrapped in athetic tape...i am seeing a foot doctor....and i have to do calf stretches. It probably sounds familar to you...but when i say my foot is worse...i now have a stabbing/itching type pain in my heel...almost like pins and needles.Im not sure if that's a sign that my foot is healing or not. ....Marie

Nancy S. on 9/10/00 at 02:10 (027791)

Marie, a new stabbing/itching type of pain doesn't sound to me like healing . . . Since you're having so much trouble with shoes and with otherwise getting any relief, I would see the dr. sooner than the 26th if you can swing it. Not that you will probably feel immediate relief from anything -- this thing does take time and dedication to doing what's best for your feet. Some thoughts:
(1) How long are you on your feet each day? If you're in an acute-pain stage, you should be resting your feet as much as possible from any activity that aggravates your pain. Did the dr. mention this?
(2) Calf stretching is good. Considering your pain, are you doing it in a non-weight-bearing position, and very gently? (I hope)
(3) Did your dr. mention night splints to you?
(4) Did your dr. mention sending you for massage/physical therapy?
(5) Have you tried wearing Birkenstocks? They're not for everyone, but many people on this board have gotten significant relief from them (including me).
(6) Do you ice your feet to try to keep inflammation and pain down?
If you haven't already, you should read Scott's 'PF Book' (click on it at top of page). After seeing an uninterested podiatrist for 6 months last year, the 'PF Book' was the first real education I got about this ailment. And it was there (and from posters on this board) that I first began to learn what I should be doing for my feet, and what I should not be doing TO them. Unfortunately I had PF for quite a while before learning these things, and then finally finding a good dr. and a physical therapist -- so I am one who is taking a long time to heal. But I'm feeling optimistic now.
You can get better -- just educate yourself as much as you can and dedicate yourself to doing what you need to do to heal. It will take time, but it will be worth it!
Good luck, and keep posting with any questions you have or support you need -- lots of helpful folks here.
Nancy

Pauline on 9/10/00 at 10:08 (027811)

Marie,
I too wish there was a foot exchange. Although cutting them off seems like a good idea we would probably end up with phantom pain.
We would just end up exchanging one pain for another no different
than what happens daily. I'm trying to think of ways to feel younger
this problem sure makes you feel old.

Nancy S. on 9/08/00 at 22:25 (027639)

Marie, please don't cut your foot off, even though I know exactly how you feel!
You say you are 'under treatment' but are feeling worse. What kind of treatment are you getting? What kind of doc are you seeing, and what happened at your first appointment? And -- once more -- what does 'under treatment' mean in your case? What is happening between your first appt. and the next one on the 26th?
Nancy

Marie R on 9/09/00 at 17:10 (027735)

Hi Nancy...sorry I wasn't clear before...the treatment i am under is i had to buy new sneakers...which the first pair New Balance made my feet 150% worse...in fact the foot that didn't hurt, hurt when i wore the New Balance....so after 3 days i had to get another pair of sneakers ...this time Saucony...and keep my arches wrapped in athetic tape...i am seeing a foot doctor....and i have to do calf stretches. It probably sounds familar to you...but when i say my foot is worse...i now have a stabbing/itching type pain in my heel...almost like pins and needles.Im not sure if that's a sign that my foot is healing or not. ....Marie

Nancy S. on 9/10/00 at 02:10 (027791)

Marie, a new stabbing/itching type of pain doesn't sound to me like healing . . . Since you're having so much trouble with shoes and with otherwise getting any relief, I would see the dr. sooner than the 26th if you can swing it. Not that you will probably feel immediate relief from anything -- this thing does take time and dedication to doing what's best for your feet. Some thoughts:
(1) How long are you on your feet each day? If you're in an acute-pain stage, you should be resting your feet as much as possible from any activity that aggravates your pain. Did the dr. mention this?
(2) Calf stretching is good. Considering your pain, are you doing it in a non-weight-bearing position, and very gently? (I hope)
(3) Did your dr. mention night splints to you?
(4) Did your dr. mention sending you for massage/physical therapy?
(5) Have you tried wearing Birkenstocks? They're not for everyone, but many people on this board have gotten significant relief from them (including me).
(6) Do you ice your feet to try to keep inflammation and pain down?
If you haven't already, you should read Scott's 'PF Book' (click on it at top of page). After seeing an uninterested podiatrist for 6 months last year, the 'PF Book' was the first real education I got about this ailment. And it was there (and from posters on this board) that I first began to learn what I should be doing for my feet, and what I should not be doing TO them. Unfortunately I had PF for quite a while before learning these things, and then finally finding a good dr. and a physical therapist -- so I am one who is taking a long time to heal. But I'm feeling optimistic now.
You can get better -- just educate yourself as much as you can and dedicate yourself to doing what you need to do to heal. It will take time, but it will be worth it!
Good luck, and keep posting with any questions you have or support you need -- lots of helpful folks here.
Nancy

Pauline on 9/10/00 at 10:08 (027811)

Marie,
I too wish there was a foot exchange. Although cutting them off seems like a good idea we would probably end up with phantom pain.
We would just end up exchanging one pain for another no different
than what happens daily. I'm trying to think of ways to feel younger
this problem sure makes you feel old.