Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

confused on shoes!

Posted by serena on 9/08/00 at 23:16 (027649)

Hi all,
After reading a few of the posted messages, I'm seeing that a lot of you get relief from your foot pain with Birkenstocks and sneakers, but I was looking at a web site last night(sorry can't remember which one) and the Doctor suggested wearing the highest heels possible to stretch the fascia!! Has any else ever heard of this advice?

Re: confused on shoes!

Barbara S. on 9/08/00 at 23:22 (027653)

Maybe if we took that advice the pain from our bunions and neuromas would make us forget the pain in our heels entirely!

Nancy S. on 9/08/00 at 23:29 (027656)

Hmmm, Serena, I feel safe in saying that you read really terrible advice. High heels cause all sorts of other problems, such as achilles tendonitis, problems with the forefoot -- and at best, they are in a few cases a very temporary relief from PF pain. They cause leg muscles to tighten and in the end only prolong the PF problem. Please do a search on 'shoe' on this site. You'll find better advice.
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 23:41 (027665)

A high heel will act like a heel lift and in addition lift the heel weight forward so that the pf is able to fully elongate. The problem
can become a few things.

1. Short Achilles. once in the heels have always stay in the heels for every

2. Additional weight and force into the front of the front that can cause nerve problems such as neuromal and corns and calluses on the balls and toe.

3. Pain in the ball of the feet.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 23:41 (027666)

Oh I forgo to mention bunion pain. Thanks Barbara S.

judy b on 9/09/00 at 09:17 (027685)

Dr Z.. I am in a shoe and orthotic that has a combined lift of approx. one inch....I am also experiencing achilles tendonitis, I think from overstretching. Is it possible to wean yourself out of a lift this high by progressively lowering the lift? As I told Dr B I only have approx 90 degrees dorsiflexion since the achilles problem. What is the best way to treat the tendonitis (I have burning just above the heel and also in back of the knee as well as pain where the achilles attaches by the heel after ambulating). I don't want to be dependent on a lift forever if possible. Help!

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/09/00 at 21:46 (027773)

I will go involved with the personal foot trainer. Go way to slowing stretch the Achilles tendon. In addition you slowly wean youself off of the life after a few week of pft stretchng and see what happens.
Drop down 1/8 inch each two weeks.

judy b on 9/10/00 at 06:43 (027802)

thanks Dr Z...a few questions...1) how would I go about finding a good personal foot trainer (I live in Massachusetts)

2)WHat is the proper way to stretch the achilles

3)I'm not familiar with pft stretching...please explain

Barbara S. on 9/08/00 at 23:22 (027653)

Maybe if we took that advice the pain from our bunions and neuromas would make us forget the pain in our heels entirely!

Nancy S. on 9/08/00 at 23:29 (027656)

Hmmm, Serena, I feel safe in saying that you read really terrible advice. High heels cause all sorts of other problems, such as achilles tendonitis, problems with the forefoot -- and at best, they are in a few cases a very temporary relief from PF pain. They cause leg muscles to tighten and in the end only prolong the PF problem. Please do a search on 'shoe' on this site. You'll find better advice.
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 23:41 (027665)

A high heel will act like a heel lift and in addition lift the heel weight forward so that the pf is able to fully elongate. The problem
can become a few things.

1. Short Achilles. once in the heels have always stay in the heels for every

2. Additional weight and force into the front of the front that can cause nerve problems such as neuromal and corns and calluses on the balls and toe.

3. Pain in the ball of the feet.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/00 at 23:41 (027666)

Oh I forgo to mention bunion pain. Thanks Barbara S.

judy b on 9/09/00 at 09:17 (027685)

Dr Z.. I am in a shoe and orthotic that has a combined lift of approx. one inch....I am also experiencing achilles tendonitis, I think from overstretching. Is it possible to wean yourself out of a lift this high by progressively lowering the lift? As I told Dr B I only have approx 90 degrees dorsiflexion since the achilles problem. What is the best way to treat the tendonitis (I have burning just above the heel and also in back of the knee as well as pain where the achilles attaches by the heel after ambulating). I don't want to be dependent on a lift forever if possible. Help!

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/09/00 at 21:46 (027773)

I will go involved with the personal foot trainer. Go way to slowing stretch the Achilles tendon. In addition you slowly wean youself off of the life after a few week of pft stretchng and see what happens.
Drop down 1/8 inch each two weeks.

judy b on 9/10/00 at 06:43 (027802)

thanks Dr Z...a few questions...1) how would I go about finding a good personal foot trainer (I live in Massachusetts)

2)WHat is the proper way to stretch the achilles

3)I'm not familiar with pft stretching...please explain