Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First Time Physical Therapy

Posted by Denise on 9/09/00 at 13:39 (027715)

I Just had my first PT appointment this morning. I only lasted 15 minutes. First they did ultrasound and then I saw a chriopractor who thumped the bottom of my heel with a springed contraption. Didn't seem to do much of anything.

Did anyone else have a similar experience? It's a $10.00 co-pay but that can add up if you go a couple of times a week. I have an appointment again on Tuesday with the same chiropractor. They also have massage therapists at this medical center. Should I go for massage instead?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: First Time Physical Therapy

JudyS on 9/09/00 at 16:05 (027732)

Denise - so there was actually a Chiropractor at your physical therapy place? I've not heard of that before. Haven't heard of the spring/thumping contraption either!
But I did want to say that I'm on my second round of very deep massage (ART, Myofascial Release, many names for it) and there's no question that that has been a major contributor to my healing. For instance, yesterday when I walked out of PT after deep massage, well - I actually walked out normally with no pain. It's the first time in ages that I could feel myself walking normally. I highly recommend the deep massage. It's not just a 'comfort' thing, I think it's purpose is to sort of break up scaring that keeps the Planter from being flexible - or something like that.

Denise on 9/09/00 at 17:11 (027736)

Thanks Judy. Can I ask you how long to they take to massage your foot? A deep massage even sounds good.

denise on 9/09/00 at 17:16 (027738)

Judy, One more thing - how many times per week do you get your Myofascial Release?

Denise on 9/09/00 at 17:21 (027740)

Are you going to a physical therapy center/clinic or is it a chiropratic center? The two are not the same.

I just finished two months of PT. I am hoping to get my script renewed this week. I have had good experiences. I did shop around first.
Here is what I get:
ultrasound
deep tissue massage
stretching/strengthening exercises with supervision

For five or six weeks, I also got ionpheresis (a topical steriod used with something similar to an electric stimulator). But I had as much of it as I could tolerate.

As I get better, my PT wants to add water therapy. We had planned to get to it sooner, but she wants me to be able to tolerate weightbearing stretches first.

If you are not happy with your PT or chiropractor, by all means, change if your insurance will allow it.

The first PT I encountered regarding my foot did not take my pain seriously, but after that I got a wonderful PT who has been a delight to work with and has raised my spirits/hope for recovery considerably.
Good Luck,
Beverly

JudyS on 9/10/00 at 17:11 (027839)

Hi Denise - about the deep massage......I'm going 3 times a week. It takes from 10 to 20 minutes depending on how much I can tolerate. It can be very painful but I'm getting better at 'Lamazing' it through the pain! Seems like the more I can take, the longer he'll take and the more productive the session. However, one time he did get too deep and the resulting pain and swelling took about 10 days to go away. But I still think it's one of the two most effective things I'm doing for PF.

JudyS on 9/09/00 at 16:05 (027732)

Denise - so there was actually a Chiropractor at your physical therapy place? I've not heard of that before. Haven't heard of the spring/thumping contraption either!
But I did want to say that I'm on my second round of very deep massage (ART, Myofascial Release, many names for it) and there's no question that that has been a major contributor to my healing. For instance, yesterday when I walked out of PT after deep massage, well - I actually walked out normally with no pain. It's the first time in ages that I could feel myself walking normally. I highly recommend the deep massage. It's not just a 'comfort' thing, I think it's purpose is to sort of break up scaring that keeps the Planter from being flexible - or something like that.

Denise on 9/09/00 at 17:11 (027736)

Thanks Judy. Can I ask you how long to they take to massage your foot? A deep massage even sounds good.

denise on 9/09/00 at 17:16 (027738)

Judy, One more thing - how many times per week do you get your Myofascial Release?

Denise on 9/09/00 at 17:21 (027740)

Are you going to a physical therapy center/clinic or is it a chiropratic center? The two are not the same.

I just finished two months of PT. I am hoping to get my script renewed this week. I have had good experiences. I did shop around first.
Here is what I get:
ultrasound
deep tissue massage
stretching/strengthening exercises with supervision

For five or six weeks, I also got ionpheresis (a topical steriod used with something similar to an electric stimulator). But I had as much of it as I could tolerate.

As I get better, my PT wants to add water therapy. We had planned to get to it sooner, but she wants me to be able to tolerate weightbearing stretches first.

If you are not happy with your PT or chiropractor, by all means, change if your insurance will allow it.

The first PT I encountered regarding my foot did not take my pain seriously, but after that I got a wonderful PT who has been a delight to work with and has raised my spirits/hope for recovery considerably.
Good Luck,
Beverly

JudyS on 9/10/00 at 17:11 (027839)

Hi Denise - about the deep massage......I'm going 3 times a week. It takes from 10 to 20 minutes depending on how much I can tolerate. It can be very painful but I'm getting better at 'Lamazing' it through the pain! Seems like the more I can take, the longer he'll take and the more productive the session. However, one time he did get too deep and the resulting pain and swelling took about 10 days to go away. But I still think it's one of the two most effective things I'm doing for PF.