Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My true test is tomorrow - AIDS Walk Colorado

Posted by BarbS on 9/09/00 at 18:42 (027747)

I have been feeling so much better these last three weeks, I am beside myself. I feel that it is due to the combination of my altered orthotics, deep tissue massage therapy once a week to once every other week, non-weightbearing stretches and my weight loss (I've lost 30 pounds since May 1).

Tomorrow is the AIDS Walk in Denver and I refuse to miss it. I lost one of my best friends to this disease 6 years ago and have raised money and participated ever since. The walk is 6.2 miles, all on paved paths and through the streets of Denver. If I make it through the walk without feeling like my foot is on fire, I'm going to try playing racquetball with my husband again this week for the first time in 2 months. I'm already planning to bring an ice pack and my stretching sock device for afterwards.

Wish me luck!!!!!

Re: My true test is tomorrow - AIDS Walk Colorado

Kim B. on 9/09/00 at 19:10 (027750)

Barb, Barb, Barb,

Please reconsider the walk. Remission is a blessing not to be gambled with! It is OK to be too sick to participate on the level that you once committed to, there are other ways to help out at the walk... commit to being on the committee that organizes it each year, organize sponsors and contibutions, hand out water to the walkers.

I just hate to see you go backwards. I may be assuming alot here, but I'm sure your friend who passed away knows of your devotion to the cause, and I would bet that friend would tell you to live your life with as little suffering as possible. (I lost my best friend 3 years ago to a hit and run driver, so I know how tough that can be, btw.)

I don't think you have been pain free long enough to gamble that big. I would probably drop out of the walk. That is me, I wish you luck either way. Be careful!! Remission is too valuable!!

Regards, Kim B.

Joopie on 9/09/00 at 21:23 (027766)

Whatever you decide to do - walk or not, your heart is in the right place, and I know your friend is watching and caring for you right now. If you decide to forego the risk, we all can support you. If you decide to walk the walk, we alll hope you do so carefully and without remission. Good luck!

wendyn on 9/09/00 at 22:34 (027783)

I assume you've been working up to this and this isn't your first walk in months. As long as this is the case, and if this is important to you (which I can tell it is) I think you're right to go. Take your time, pay attention to your feet and ice when you're done. If you start to have pain - quit, you're friend will understand what was in your heart. Yes you're risking a set back..but you have to decide if it's worth the risk.

A friend said to me today that when people grow old, they don't regret the things they did...they regret the things they didn't do.

Denise on 9/10/00 at 06:21 (027801)

Barb, I agree with Kim and Wendyn. Though I am a newbie PFer, everything I've read says to be cautious. One website I visited said to GRADUALLY return to activity only 'when you no longer have pain when arising in the morning and you have no tenderness when pressing on the plantar fascia.' I hope you have already tested your foot by walking just a mile and that you have built up to 6 miles.

As far as racketball, 2 months seems way to early to resume that activity. Again, I'm a newbie but an avid tennis player. I'm very glad I stopped playing. Reading the guestbook, I can see how easy it is to develop chronic PF and even how easy it is to permanently injure the fascia.

Please listen to your body for your sake but also because as fellow sufferers we all care as well.

Beverly on 9/10/00 at 10:22 (027813)

Barb,

Be careful. I overdid it in the beginning when I first felt better and lived to regret it (still regretting it).

Is there another way you could help? Pass out water to the walkers?
Sponser someone else and root by the sidelines? Both of these suggestions, I am making with the assumption that you would keep a chair nearby and use it much of the time.

Here is another way to help. Your local AIDS Outreach center always needs help. Everything from answering the phone to being a buddy.
There are other ways to help without risking your feet.

I am glad you are feeling so much better. I just wouldn't push it that far. Relapses are harder to bounce back from than you might think.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Kim B. on 9/09/00 at 19:10 (027750)

Barb, Barb, Barb,

Please reconsider the walk. Remission is a blessing not to be gambled with! It is OK to be too sick to participate on the level that you once committed to, there are other ways to help out at the walk... commit to being on the committee that organizes it each year, organize sponsors and contibutions, hand out water to the walkers.

I just hate to see you go backwards. I may be assuming alot here, but I'm sure your friend who passed away knows of your devotion to the cause, and I would bet that friend would tell you to live your life with as little suffering as possible. (I lost my best friend 3 years ago to a hit and run driver, so I know how tough that can be, btw.)

I don't think you have been pain free long enough to gamble that big. I would probably drop out of the walk. That is me, I wish you luck either way. Be careful!! Remission is too valuable!!

Regards, Kim B.

Joopie on 9/09/00 at 21:23 (027766)

Whatever you decide to do - walk or not, your heart is in the right place, and I know your friend is watching and caring for you right now. If you decide to forego the risk, we all can support you. If you decide to walk the walk, we alll hope you do so carefully and without remission. Good luck!

wendyn on 9/09/00 at 22:34 (027783)

I assume you've been working up to this and this isn't your first walk in months. As long as this is the case, and if this is important to you (which I can tell it is) I think you're right to go. Take your time, pay attention to your feet and ice when you're done. If you start to have pain - quit, you're friend will understand what was in your heart. Yes you're risking a set back..but you have to decide if it's worth the risk.

A friend said to me today that when people grow old, they don't regret the things they did...they regret the things they didn't do.

Denise on 9/10/00 at 06:21 (027801)

Barb, I agree with Kim and Wendyn. Though I am a newbie PFer, everything I've read says to be cautious. One website I visited said to GRADUALLY return to activity only 'when you no longer have pain when arising in the morning and you have no tenderness when pressing on the plantar fascia.' I hope you have already tested your foot by walking just a mile and that you have built up to 6 miles.

As far as racketball, 2 months seems way to early to resume that activity. Again, I'm a newbie but an avid tennis player. I'm very glad I stopped playing. Reading the guestbook, I can see how easy it is to develop chronic PF and even how easy it is to permanently injure the fascia.

Please listen to your body for your sake but also because as fellow sufferers we all care as well.

Beverly on 9/10/00 at 10:22 (027813)

Barb,

Be careful. I overdid it in the beginning when I first felt better and lived to regret it (still regretting it).

Is there another way you could help? Pass out water to the walkers?
Sponser someone else and root by the sidelines? Both of these suggestions, I am making with the assumption that you would keep a chair nearby and use it much of the time.

Here is another way to help. Your local AIDS Outreach center always needs help. Everything from answering the phone to being a buddy.
There are other ways to help without risking your feet.

I am glad you are feeling so much better. I just wouldn't push it that far. Relapses are harder to bounce back from than you might think.
Best wishes,
Beverly