Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What can I do to prevent worsening? Any Stretches?

Posted by Jennifer T. on 9/09/00 at 19:06 (027749)

In the reading I have done tonight, I believe that the pain that I have been experiencing in my left heel is plantar fasciitis. I drove a bus for the last school year and had periods of up to two hours with limited movement of my left leg and heel. The pain came on gradually, and lessened when I left the job, however, it is still prevalent after prolonged time on my feet, or off of them. First thing in the morning is really bad. Now I am pregnant, gaining weight, and getting up multiple times a night to use the bathroom, all of which seem to be worsening the discomfort. I have read that walking on it in pain can worsen the effects as well as make it chronic. Are there any stretches that I can do to help before getting out of bed, rather than walking on the ball of my foot until it relaxes? Medication is out, but I would appreciate other advice.

Re: What can I do to prevent worsening? Any Stretches?

salina on 9/09/00 at 19:29 (027757)

Have you seen a doctor yet? I wouldn't wait to get medical treatment if I were you. Get seen quickly so you can get started on maybe physical therapy and possibly get nightsplints.
I have had this for almost a year, so I cannot tell you what works, cause obviously I haven't found it yet. But I didn't take it too seriously when it first happened, just thought it would go away. it didn't.
How far along are yuo with your pregnancy? Do you have other children you are taking care of, or is this your first?
I got this when my youngest was five months old. And believe me, PF and babies are not a good combination. You want to take action to try to help your feet get better before you are suffering with it and also taking care of a newborn. It is hard.
If you are able to get some real rest now, it should help. do it now before the baby comes.
If you see a doctor, don't let him diddle daddle with you. Go in and get some orthotics and nightsplints right away. Due to circumstance of my own, I was unable to do these things for quite a while, and my feet got worse. I feel like i have just started to treat this like I should.
Keep reading, some people on this board are very knowledgeable and you can learn a lot.
If you have any specific medical questions, just go to the 'ask the doctor' message board, and the docs will try to help you too.
They are wonderful.
Keep posting of your progress. Hope you get over this soon.

salina on 9/09/00 at 19:36 (027761)

Have you seen a doctor yet? I wouldn't wait to get medical treatment if I were you. Get seen quickly so you can get started on maybe physical therapy and possibly get nightsplints.
I have had this for almost a year, so I cannot tell you what works, cause obviously I haven't found it yet. But I didn't take it too seriously when it first happened, just thought it would go away. it didn't.
How far along are yuo with your pregnancy? Do you have other children you are taking care of, or is this your first?
I got this when my youngest was five months old. And believe me, PF and babies are not a good combination. You want to take action to try to help your feet get better before you are suffering with it and also taking care of a newborn. It is hard.
If you are able to get some real rest now, it should help. do it now before the baby comes.
If you see a doctor, don't let him diddle daddle with you. Go in and get some orthotics and nightsplints right away. Due to circumstance of my own, I was unable to do these things for quite a while, and my feet got worse. I feel like i have just started to treat this like I should.
Keep reading, some people on this board are very knowledgeable and you can learn a lot.
If you have any specific medical questions, just go to the 'ask the doctor' message board, and the docs will try to help you too.
They are wonderful.

alan k on 9/10/00 at 08:37 (027808)

Walking on the ball of your foot in the morning indicates that warm-up exercises could be as effective as stretching in preparing your feet for limited walking.

Read scott's pf book, in the stretching section, for info on stretching. Consider a strength-building routine as well, since that seems to help you.

I hope to have information on Thai Massage Yoga stretching up on my site soon.

also, get new shoes, maybe Birkenstock sandals, and try icing for no more than ten minutes at a time, but as frequently as you want. You should probably also consult a physician or podiatrist, but also check back here to see if they are steering you wrong or not, which sometimes happens.

yours,

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Re: Pregnancy and PF

Barbara S. on 9/10/00 at 14:12 (027827)

You might try a gentle calf stretch before getting out of bed - lie on your back and flex your toes up slowly a few times, and then rise to a sitting position and put a towel around the bottom (near the ball and toes) of your flexed foot. Your knee should be locked, or at least firmly down on the mattress. Pull the towel towards you until you feel a gentle stretch along the back of your calf and hamstring muscles. Then slip into shoes with good arch support and adequate cushioning of the heel - even if it is to walk a very short distance. I do this routine for only six steps from bed to bathroom. The point is to ready the sore muscles so they stretch and don't become reinjured when you resume activity.

Pregnancy is a good time to kick PF - you need to be resting more anyway, and to maintain excellent nutrition. Your body is in high gear during pregnancy, and your skin, hair & nails will show evidence of this as well. Some women claim that they heal faster when they are pregnant! So, use this time to your advantage with lots of rest and stretching throughout the day. Some good non-drug ways to reduce pain from PF: swimming (which promotes circulation, both to baby and to PF feet), ice, flax oil supplements, deep massage, and night splints. I was able to do all of these when I was still nursing a baby. You might want to consider nursing for this reason too - it enforces rest and you don't have to run to the kitchen to warm up a bottle.

I know that weight aggravates PF, but there are plenty of skinny folks out there suffering from it. Check out the pictures of the PF board addictees! Some pretty svelte people... Just worry about baby first when it comes to weight, and find non-impact ways to work out. Good luck to you! B.

Steve P on 9/11/00 at 09:26 (027889)

Jennifer --- When you go to the doctor, ask about a Nightsplint. It may be beneficial in your case.
good luck....Steve

salina on 9/09/00 at 19:29 (027757)

They are wonderful.

salina on 9/09/00 at 19:36 (027761)

They are wonderful.

alan k on 9/10/00 at 08:37 (027808)

Walking on the ball of your foot in the morning indicates that warm-up exercises could be as effective as stretching in preparing your feet for limited walking.

Read scott's pf book, in the stretching section, for info on stretching. Consider a strength-building routine as well, since that seems to help you.

I hope to have information on Thai Massage Yoga stretching up on my site soon.

also, get new shoes, maybe Birkenstock sandals, and try icing for no more than ten minutes at a time, but as frequently as you want. You should probably also consult a physician or podiatrist, but also check back here to see if they are steering you wrong or not, which sometimes happens.

yours,

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Re: Pregnancy and PF

Barbara S. on 9/10/00 at 14:12 (027827)

You might try a gentle calf stretch before getting out of bed - lie on your back and flex your toes up slowly a few times, and then rise to a sitting position and put a towel around the bottom (near the ball and toes) of your flexed foot. Your knee should be locked, or at least firmly down on the mattress. Pull the towel towards you until you feel a gentle stretch along the back of your calf and hamstring muscles. Then slip into shoes with good arch support and adequate cushioning of the heel - even if it is to walk a very short distance. I do this routine for only six steps from bed to bathroom. The point is to ready the sore muscles so they stretch and don't become reinjured when you resume activity.

Pregnancy is a good time to kick PF - you need to be resting more anyway, and to maintain excellent nutrition. Your body is in high gear during pregnancy, and your skin, hair & nails will show evidence of this as well. Some women claim that they heal faster when they are pregnant! So, use this time to your advantage with lots of rest and stretching throughout the day. Some good non-drug ways to reduce pain from PF: swimming (which promotes circulation, both to baby and to PF feet), ice, flax oil supplements, deep massage, and night splints. I was able to do all of these when I was still nursing a baby. You might want to consider nursing for this reason too - it enforces rest and you don't have to run to the kitchen to warm up a bottle.

I know that weight aggravates PF, but there are plenty of skinny folks out there suffering from it. Check out the pictures of the PF board addictees! Some pretty svelte people... Just worry about baby first when it comes to weight, and find non-impact ways to work out. Good luck to you! B.

Steve P on 9/11/00 at 09:26 (027889)

Jennifer --- When you go to the doctor, ask about a Nightsplint. It may be beneficial in your case.
good luck....Steve