Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is your opinion of the night splint/risks vs. benefits?

Posted by Beverly on 9/10/00 at 22:27 (027855)

Dr Z and B,

I see my sports med doc tomorrow... will be asking about those nerve blocks and continuing PT.

I have resisted the night splint during my six month ordeal with PF, but I am getting seriously willing to try them.

I remember last time I talked to my doctor about them, he seemed kind a neutral on them. What do you think? Can they help beyond morning pain?
What kind of results have you seen with them? What are the risks? (I see that Scott has written about getting achilles tendonitis from them.)

There is a soft padded one Kim found at footsmart.com. It is called a 'passive night splint.' It looks more comfortable than the others. I would be more likely to try a soft padded kind.
Thank you,
Beverly

PS: One other question, in PT my massage lasts about five minutes per foot. The massage is focused on the foot... not much on the ankle and none on the calf.
Do you think that is enough or would more be better? I get this 2x a week.

Re: What is your opinion of the night splint/risks vs. benefits?

Kim B. on 9/10/00 at 22:55 (027863)

Hi Bev,

For the record, I ended up getting the Passive Night Splint at 'InteliHealth.com' instead of footsmart, because they offer free shipping and I am certian of their no hassle return garuantee. They are great, btw.

The passive night slint is very comfortable. However my foot gets kind of hot in it. For that reason I would encourage you to consider the 'nice n stretch' at the front of heelspurs.com because it has a pouch for an icepack (I think.) The downside is it cost twice as much. :-( but it may be worth it.

Maybe night splints aren't for me. I am thinking of returning the split. For me it is tought to get used to. It is tough when you have PF in both feet, alternating the splint, I like it better on my left foot than my right, etc. I must admit, this one doesn't seem to get tangled up in the sheets, I just feel a little clostrophobic in it. (But I am queen of phobias anyway, so no suprise.)

I am having pretty good results with the 'Step Calf Stretch' also available at intelihealth.com. I can really feel the results. It's not a cure, but an aid. I stretch gently 3 or so times a day with it. I leave it out so I don't forget. It seems like a good product, so far. BTW, see my post on heel huggers under treatments board too.

By the way, get as much massage, as often as you can, in as many places as you can. In most cases, it does more good than harm.

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 9/11/00 at 00:55 (027871)

Hi, Beverly!

Most find the NightSplint difficult to adjust to. I sure did, but thankful that I incorporated it into my life. You can find my story by doing a search under my name or NightSplints.

I wore my NightSplint last night - am wearing it about once a week now. Been painfree seven months now, less a two-day relapse after 19 weeks painfree. Attribute the relapse to seven weeks WITHOUT the NightSplint. That mistake has been corrected.

I currently do one or two 45-minute brisk walks on the beach each day. One hundred sit-ups and push-ups daily. I am serious about beating PF. The NightSplint works for me. Different strokes...Best wishes! BG

Pauline on 9/11/00 at 04:34 (027872)

I've been using a set of night splints given to me by the Dr. during my last round of PF. They are hard plastic with foam liners and valcro straps. They come up to the knees. I said he gave them to me but as you know insurance paid for them.

I usually sleep in two of them. It's a trick because they do
get tangled in the sheets and the bathroom trick is just that tricky.

Although they do help with morning pain, recently I have been experiencing a lot of hip pain during the night to the point that
the splints must come off. I think it is due to the splints
and will check with the Dr. on my next visit.

I think anything that helps to keep the fascia under some tension
is probable good and bad. Good because it continuelly stretches the fascia but bad because it is unnatural and seem to cause me other problems as well.

Bob G. on 9/12/00 at 03:12 (027984)

Pauline,

I would suggest not doing anything that causes further hurt. The NightSplints that you are using are not anything like the NightSplint I am using.

I found my NightSlint off this Board. It has never caused complications. Good luck! BG

Re: Bob - What's your nightsplint brand?

Barbara S. on 9/12/00 at 09:47 (028000)

Could you tell us again what night splint you use, what angle it is set at, and whether you have something under your toes to flex them as well? I read a very positive article about them, and I have been using mine religiously with minimal success. I want to be sure that I am doing this the right way. Also, how long before you felt you were getting results? I've been wearing mine for about three months. Thanks a bunch! B.

Kim B. on 9/10/00 at 22:55 (027863)

Hi Bev,

For the record, I ended up getting the Passive Night Splint at 'InteliHealth.com' instead of footsmart, because they offer free shipping and I am certian of their no hassle return garuantee. They are great, btw.

The passive night slint is very comfortable. However my foot gets kind of hot in it. For that reason I would encourage you to consider the 'nice n stretch' at the front of heelspurs.com because it has a pouch for an icepack (I think.) The downside is it cost twice as much. :-( but it may be worth it.

Maybe night splints aren't for me. I am thinking of returning the split. For me it is tought to get used to. It is tough when you have PF in both feet, alternating the splint, I like it better on my left foot than my right, etc. I must admit, this one doesn't seem to get tangled up in the sheets, I just feel a little clostrophobic in it. (But I am queen of phobias anyway, so no suprise.)

I am having pretty good results with the 'Step Calf Stretch' also available at intelihealth.com. I can really feel the results. It's not a cure, but an aid. I stretch gently 3 or so times a day with it. I leave it out so I don't forget. It seems like a good product, so far. BTW, see my post on heel huggers under treatments board too.

By the way, get as much massage, as often as you can, in as many places as you can. In most cases, it does more good than harm.

Regards, Kim B.

Bob G. on 9/11/00 at 00:55 (027871)

Hi, Beverly!

Most find the NightSplint difficult to adjust to. I sure did, but thankful that I incorporated it into my life. You can find my story by doing a search under my name or NightSplints.

I wore my NightSplint last night - am wearing it about once a week now. Been painfree seven months now, less a two-day relapse after 19 weeks painfree. Attribute the relapse to seven weeks WITHOUT the NightSplint. That mistake has been corrected.

I currently do one or two 45-minute brisk walks on the beach each day. One hundred sit-ups and push-ups daily. I am serious about beating PF. The NightSplint works for me. Different strokes...Best wishes! BG

Pauline on 9/11/00 at 04:34 (027872)

I've been using a set of night splints given to me by the Dr. during my last round of PF. They are hard plastic with foam liners and valcro straps. They come up to the knees. I said he gave them to me but as you know insurance paid for them.

I usually sleep in two of them. It's a trick because they do
get tangled in the sheets and the bathroom trick is just that tricky.

Although they do help with morning pain, recently I have been experiencing a lot of hip pain during the night to the point that
the splints must come off. I think it is due to the splints
and will check with the Dr. on my next visit.

I think anything that helps to keep the fascia under some tension
is probable good and bad. Good because it continuelly stretches the fascia but bad because it is unnatural and seem to cause me other problems as well.

Bob G. on 9/12/00 at 03:12 (027984)

Pauline,

I would suggest not doing anything that causes further hurt. The NightSplints that you are using are not anything like the NightSplint I am using.

I found my NightSlint off this Board. It has never caused complications. Good luck! BG

Re: Bob - What's your nightsplint brand?

Barbara S. on 9/12/00 at 09:47 (028000)

Could you tell us again what night splint you use, what angle it is set at, and whether you have something under your toes to flex them as well? I read a very positive article about them, and I have been using mine religiously with minimal success. I want to be sure that I am doing this the right way. Also, how long before you felt you were getting results? I've been wearing mine for about three months. Thanks a bunch! B.