Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

With mild PF - Can deep massage and Chiropractic treatment make PF worse

Posted by Denise on 9/11/00 at 06:08 (027875)

Drs Z/B. I'm newly inflicted with PF. I can walk w/o pain. I have stopped all impact activity except Yoga (lots of stretching). I purchased a pair of eccos on Saturday so am wearing proper shoes and I have been fitted for an orthotic from a POD (just waiting for it to come in).

Should I continue this conservative treatment. Do you think visits to a PF/Chiropractor is overkill at my phase? Can it actually make my condition worse with all this pressing etc...

I guess I'm asking, is it possible to get too much treatment and can this make matters worse?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Re: With mild PF - Can deep massage and Chiropractic treatment make PF worse

Denise on 9/11/00 at 09:39 (027891)

Hi Denise,
I've had PF for two years. I wore orthotics and stretched alot and got to the point where I could walk in my shoes pain free.I am also pain free in the morning. (no tender spot) However, I still felt tight and I couldn't safely walk without shoes without risking injury. I went to the chiro on a friends suggestion and he gave me some ultra sount and then pressed firmly for about 30 seconds on THE SPOT till I almost cried. I thought for sure I was ruined. However, it didn't hurt after and the next day I had way more flexibility. I was then about to do more physical training as I sensed the feeling of a chance tear was diminished. ANyway, I was so happy I went back. The second time it hurt after and I got really worried. I quit for a week and then went back again when i was pain free. The third time he just said do some home stretching and massage and progress to new activities with caution. Knowing all this, my recommendation is to go to the chiro only when pain free. Get the ultrasound (a low setting is important apparently, you shouldn't feel anything) and the rub and push done. Listen to your feet. If they feel better, continue on your own....to each his own. Good Luck
April

JudyS on 9/11/00 at 10:10 (027892)

I've not heard of that method before - the one about pushing on The Spot. I wonder what that does. I've been receiving deep massage for a while now but it doesn't include just targeting the spot. That's pretty interesting!

Denise E on 9/11/00 at 17:46 (027952)

Denise/JudyS, Denise since there are 2 of us posting I'll use Denise E. I spoke with the Chiropractic director just about an hour ago to express my concern about the pain afterward. He said it was teatment reaction and that it is normal. I asked him about the thumping device that was used (like a staple gun) and he said it was called an activator. He went on the PF was caused my some kind of gait disturbance but nobody watched me walk on Saturday.

There is a massage therapist there who specialized in Foot Reflexology and I asked the director how he determines whether someone gets massage treatment or chiropractic treatment. He said that foot reflexology is not covered by insurance. He said if I wanted foot reflexology to contact this therapist to see if it could be done on his own time.

What do you make of all this? Am I getting the treatment that is best for me or just getting the treatment that is covered by insurance?

Unfortunately, medicine is getting to be more like a business - so caveat emptor everyone!!

Kim B. on 9/11/00 at 19:59 (027962)

Everything seems to have a different effect on different people. For
FM, some can benefit from acupuncuter or Tens (eletronic stem threapy), both of those things bother me more than they help. I totally benefit from proper massage and body work, some don't get the same result. It is trial and error to see what works for each individiual. Good luck! Kim B.

Re: Opps, I just realized I posted to the Ask the Doctor Board

Kim B. on 9/11/00 at 20:03 (027963)

The new system has me all wigged out! I viewed 'all messages since last visit' and used the 'Reply to above message' without checking to see where it was going. Are the lays suppose to be responding to this board? Kim B.

Dr. Biehler on 9/11/00 at 20:57 (027970)

When your fascia is first injurred and trying to heal the last thing you need to be doing is putting pressure on it or putting it under tension. That is what all the stappings and some of the orthotics are for. Ultra sound brings heat to the deeper tissues resulting in more blood flow and better cellular activity. This helps the heeling. After the tears in the fascia or its attachment to bone have started to heal, then pressure helps the cells line up and give it strenght. Pressure before this time only does further damage. Since everyone heals at different rate, depending on when and what treatments are given,the results are different.

Denise E on 9/12/00 at 05:32 (027985)

Thanks Dr. B - that makes sense to me. My orthotics should be coming in soon which should help to relieve pressure on my heel. Meanwhile I am wearing my new ecco shoes and that seems to be helping a lot. Thanks again!!

Denise on 9/11/00 at 09:39 (027891)

Hi Denise,
I've had PF for two years. I wore orthotics and stretched alot and got to the point where I could walk in my shoes pain free.I am also pain free in the morning. (no tender spot) However, I still felt tight and I couldn't safely walk without shoes without risking injury. I went to the chiro on a friends suggestion and he gave me some ultra sount and then pressed firmly for about 30 seconds on THE SPOT till I almost cried. I thought for sure I was ruined. However, it didn't hurt after and the next day I had way more flexibility. I was then about to do more physical training as I sensed the feeling of a chance tear was diminished. ANyway, I was so happy I went back. The second time it hurt after and I got really worried. I quit for a week and then went back again when i was pain free. The third time he just said do some home stretching and massage and progress to new activities with caution. Knowing all this, my recommendation is to go to the chiro only when pain free. Get the ultrasound (a low setting is important apparently, you shouldn't feel anything) and the rub and push done. Listen to your feet. If they feel better, continue on your own....to each his own. Good Luck
April

JudyS on 9/11/00 at 10:10 (027892)

I've not heard of that method before - the one about pushing on The Spot. I wonder what that does. I've been receiving deep massage for a while now but it doesn't include just targeting the spot. That's pretty interesting!

Denise E on 9/11/00 at 17:46 (027952)

Denise/JudyS, Denise since there are 2 of us posting I'll use Denise E. I spoke with the Chiropractic director just about an hour ago to express my concern about the pain afterward. He said it was teatment reaction and that it is normal. I asked him about the thumping device that was used (like a staple gun) and he said it was called an activator. He went on the PF was caused my some kind of gait disturbance but nobody watched me walk on Saturday.

There is a massage therapist there who specialized in Foot Reflexology and I asked the director how he determines whether someone gets massage treatment or chiropractic treatment. He said that foot reflexology is not covered by insurance. He said if I wanted foot reflexology to contact this therapist to see if it could be done on his own time.

What do you make of all this? Am I getting the treatment that is best for me or just getting the treatment that is covered by insurance?

Unfortunately, medicine is getting to be more like a business - so caveat emptor everyone!!

Kim B. on 9/11/00 at 19:59 (027962)

Everything seems to have a different effect on different people. For
FM, some can benefit from acupuncuter or Tens (eletronic stem threapy), both of those things bother me more than they help. I totally benefit from proper massage and body work, some don't get the same result. It is trial and error to see what works for each individiual. Good luck! Kim B.

Re: Opps, I just realized I posted to the Ask the Doctor Board

Kim B. on 9/11/00 at 20:03 (027963)

The new system has me all wigged out! I viewed 'all messages since last visit' and used the 'Reply to above message' without checking to see where it was going. Are the lays suppose to be responding to this board? Kim B.

Dr. Biehler on 9/11/00 at 20:57 (027970)

When your fascia is first injurred and trying to heal the last thing you need to be doing is putting pressure on it or putting it under tension. That is what all the stappings and some of the orthotics are for. Ultra sound brings heat to the deeper tissues resulting in more blood flow and better cellular activity. This helps the heeling. After the tears in the fascia or its attachment to bone have started to heal, then pressure helps the cells line up and give it strenght. Pressure before this time only does further damage. Since everyone heals at different rate, depending on when and what treatments are given,the results are different.

Denise E on 9/12/00 at 05:32 (027985)

Thanks Dr. B - that makes sense to me. My orthotics should be coming in soon which should help to relieve pressure on my heel. Meanwhile I am wearing my new ecco shoes and that seems to be helping a lot. Thanks again!!