Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I did it (AIDS Walk) and I'm feeling great!!!

Posted by BarbS on 9/11/00 at 08:54 (027884)

Thanks to all of you who wished me well. The walk was awesome. The sun was shining this year and thousands showed up. My husband and I finished the walk in an hour and 25 minutes which is the fastest time ever for me. I felt great during the whole walk and I'm still doing fine. I did a contrast bath for both feet last night and then used my stretch sock. Both were done as a precaution for possible pain which has yet to set in. I got a couple of blisters on my toes and that's the worst that has happened. I will continue to take special care of myself throughout the week. I have a massage therapy appt. on Wed. which I expect to help as well.

As for racquetball, my husband and I have decided to wait. Only because I want to make sure I'm 100% before taking it up again. Walking has never caused me the pain that racquetball did. So I'll behave myself.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Re: I did it (AIDS Walk) and I'm feeling great!!!

Nancy S. on 9/11/00 at 10:54 (027898)

Congratulations, Barb! I must admit I was awfully worried about you, but I'm glad it worked out and you're taking good care of your feet post-AIDS-walk. You're an inspiration. I could never do it right now, but I guess you knew your powers better than the rest of us worry warts. Again, good for you!
Nancy

Laurie R on 9/11/00 at 13:14 (027910)

Hi Barbara,
This is so wonderful.I am so glad you did this .I to was worried for you . I guess sometimes we never know until we try.I am so glad you are not in pain .Keep up the good work .Whatever you are doing it is working . My best to you . Laurie R

john h on 9/11/00 at 15:52 (027927)

what kind of shoes did you wear barbara and what pace did you walk?

Re: Shoes and pace

BarbS on 9/11/00 at 16:52 (027939)

I wore my Nike Air Mada shoes that I wear everyday. My pod thought they were perfect. I have only had them about 3 months so they have some life left in them. Of course, my orthotics were in, I don't go anywhere without them. We walked about 1 mile every 15 minutes. The only soreness I'm experiencing late this afternoon is in my shins and it just feels like it does when I go for long walks. I am totally happy that I'm not limping around the office today like I thought I might.

JudyS on 9/11/00 at 16:59 (027942)

Barb - are those Air Mada's walking or running shoes?

Kim B. on 9/11/00 at 17:01 (027945)

Barb, I am so happy that you were able to pull it off with out a hitch! Congrats! Kim B.

Re: Shoes and pace - Any Hills?

Denise E on 9/12/00 at 05:44 (027986)

Barb, Glad everything went well and for a good cause. Okay we have info on your shoes, pace but were there any hills or was it all flat walking?

I'm was born a worry wart so I am glad you are holding off on racquetball.

Re: More info on shoes and hills

BarbS on 9/12/00 at 08:58 (027993)

My Air Madas are cross trainers. They have a very thick heel and a little gel window that is there to represent the air in the heel. They are my comfy shoes and my orthotics fit perfectly in them.

As for hills, there really weren't any. I guess there was a slight grade up at the end as we came back toward the park but it is no big deal. I am going to be challenging the hills in New Mexico next month. My husband and I are taking a vacation and will be hiking in the mountains around Ruidoso. Should be interesting.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. I hope for the best for all of you, too!!!

Nancy S. on 9/11/00 at 10:54 (027898)

Congratulations, Barb! I must admit I was awfully worried about you, but I'm glad it worked out and you're taking good care of your feet post-AIDS-walk. You're an inspiration. I could never do it right now, but I guess you knew your powers better than the rest of us worry warts. Again, good for you!
Nancy

Laurie R on 9/11/00 at 13:14 (027910)

Hi Barbara,
This is so wonderful.I am so glad you did this .I to was worried for you . I guess sometimes we never know until we try.I am so glad you are not in pain .Keep up the good work .Whatever you are doing it is working . My best to you . Laurie R

john h on 9/11/00 at 15:52 (027927)

what kind of shoes did you wear barbara and what pace did you walk?

BarbS on 9/11/00 at 16:52 (027939)

I wore my Nike Air Mada shoes that I wear everyday. My pod thought they were perfect. I have only had them about 3 months so they have some life left in them. Of course, my orthotics were in, I don't go anywhere without them. We walked about 1 mile every 15 minutes. The only soreness I'm experiencing late this afternoon is in my shins and it just feels like it does when I go for long walks. I am totally happy that I'm not limping around the office today like I thought I might.

JudyS on 9/11/00 at 16:59 (027942)

Barb - are those Air Mada's walking or running shoes?

Kim B. on 9/11/00 at 17:01 (027945)

Barb, I am so happy that you were able to pull it off with out a hitch! Congrats! Kim B.

Re: Shoes and pace - Any Hills?

Denise E on 9/12/00 at 05:44 (027986)

Barb, Glad everything went well and for a good cause. Okay we have info on your shoes, pace but were there any hills or was it all flat walking?

I'm was born a worry wart so I am glad you are holding off on racquetball.

Re: More info on shoes and hills

BarbS on 9/12/00 at 08:58 (027993)

My Air Madas are cross trainers. They have a very thick heel and a little gel window that is there to represent the air in the heel. They are my comfy shoes and my orthotics fit perfectly in them.

As for hills, there really weren't any. I guess there was a slight grade up at the end as we came back toward the park but it is no big deal. I am going to be challenging the hills in New Mexico next month. My husband and I are taking a vacation and will be hiking in the mountains around Ruidoso. Should be interesting.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. I hope for the best for all of you, too!!!