Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what else can I do?

Posted by corrine on 9/11/00 at 21:39 (027975)

I have suffered with plantar faciaitis for over a year. Originally I got the condition from over use (to many aerobics classes on an unsuitable floor) and that was 10 years ago. The condition went away went I stopped doing the exercises. A year ago it came back - though I have not been on an exercise program. So far I have tried foot exercises (rolling chilled soup cans, toe curls, etc.), daily massage, ice packs; up to 5 times a day, heating pads, daily streaches, orthodics - useless, every concievable insole and heel pad, prescription and over the counter anti-inflamitories, and in May of this year cortozone injections. The cortozone helped for about 2 months and then the pain returned. I am hesitant to continue cortozone treatments every two months and would like to know of any other type of treatment that I could consider.

Still looking!

Re: what else can I do?

Beverly on 9/11/00 at 21:49 (027978)

Corrine,

Have you been to a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon? A very different type of doctor than a pod.
My first thought is if you can get your insurance to cover it, physical therapy will teach you more about stretching and the right way to stretch than one can do at home without instruction. Plus, depending on what your doctor orders, you may also get deep tissue massage among other things. The wonderful thing is that if you get massage through PT, insurance will often pay for it. There is a big difference between professional massage and what we can do on our own.
Good Luck,
Beverly

Rock on 9/12/00 at 09:11 (027997)

Years of postings on this board strongly suggests that the more more active a person is, the quicker they recover from PF. So many PF people 'over-rest' to the point of serious soft tissue atrophy that prevents full recovery. As always I recommend a great deal of swimming and biking.

Rock.
Ironman / UltraRunner.

(PF pain free since July)

Re: Here here !

Barbara S. on 9/12/00 at 09:56 (028004)

I totally agree. My PF went from bad to NIGHTMARE when I decided to put myself on total rest with a cast (I did this without the recommendation of a doctor). In only two weeks I was seeing the signs of atrophy, and I also brought upon myself a host of nerve problems that I'm still dealing with. Even though I'm still in a lot of pain, I swim and walk at least from room to room. I sit with feet on the floor, rocking them back and forth and going up on my toes to excercize them. Keep that circulation going but try to do it without pain. That's my new creed. B.

Re: Keep Going vs. Rest

salina on 9/12/00 at 12:37 (028021)

Hi Rock,
Every time I read a post like yours or others saying it was better for them to keep going, instead of total rest, it confuses me and motivates me at the same time.
in a way, i feel like I have had no choice but keep going. With babies to take care of, a house to run, and hubby has to keep working (someone has to make some money in this family). So I have not been able to get any of that total rest business, yet. But I can rest enough that most of the time I don't overdo it. Well, I take that back, I do overdo it, but just occasionally.
Do you think the 'keep going' thing hasn't worked for me just because I had gotten so out of shape BEFORE I got this? At one time I was very fit and active and up for anything. But I was in the worst shape of my life right at the time I got PF. And I can't seem to heal.
So now I am considering the getting a cast at least on one foot.
It is scary to think of ending up worse from it instead of better.

But I think I need some total rest because the majority of my pain is
in the arch. Its like it is inflamed and never goes away.
Don't I sort of HAVE to get off it and let that heal?

I'm so jealous to hear about you running, and Bob G. jogging on the beach, and others playing tennis. Maybe one day it will happen for me.

Steve P on 9/12/00 at 14:32 (028031)

Corrine --- Some things you didn't mention:

Nightsplint
Supplements (e.g., glucosamine, chondroitin, bromelain)
Physical therapy

You might ask your doc about these.

Barbara S. on 9/12/00 at 15:19 (028035)

Salina - if you are raising your family right now, that is ALL the activity you should be doing - just walking from room to room when need be, sitting when you cook, etc. Rock (I think) is talking about sitting ALL DAY and never moving. You do have to get off it and let it heal, but not so much that you atrophy the very muscles that support the plantar fascia. Total rest is bad, I think. As if PF moms can do this anyway! I think the rules should be different for PF moms... just take care of as many basic needs as you need to (everyone fed and reasonably clean) and rest, rest, rest. Someone mentioned the idea that you need to walk around for about 3-5 minutes every hour or so. I make it evey half hour, and fewer minutes 1-2 on my feet.

Can you ever get out to swim? That would be ideal for activity without stress on feet, and it improves circulation SO MUCH... my sister was prescribed 3 HOURS in the pool a day when she was in the hospital and carrying twins. The babies had defect in their umbilical cord, and circulation was to them was poor. Doctors have long known that time in the pool (even just floating around, as she did) dramatically improves circulation. And, when you are in the pool, you can move about so easily, and pretend that you are Bob G. or Rock. I water jog, and it makes me feel so great just to have a picture of myself in my mind as a fit person. My best to you today, B.

Re: Here's what I have done

Robin B. on 9/12/00 at 16:58 (028049)

I am one of those infrequent posters -- but I HAVE successfully treated my own PF to the point where I got my life back. I'm not jogging on the beach to be sure -- but I CAN conduct a normal life, stay on my feet for hours on end and live pretty much the life I want. Here is how.

1. Birks work for me. I don't recommend them for everyone, but what I do recommend is that you first find a shoe, some shoe, any shoe, that gives you some of the relief you seek. Birks just happen to be perfect for me. I'm never without them.

2. Rest your feet. This does not mean DO NOTHING. But for me it meant doing very little on my feet. (I used a bike for exercise.) I literally rested my feet for uppwards of a year. It was a boring year to be sure -- but life is a ton better now and I'm glad I did it.

3. Bromelain has helped me tremendously. Glucosamine has not. I take bromelain religiously. In fact, for the last couple of weeks I have gotten very lazy about it -- and boyohboy, did I ever notice the difference. My feet started aching again so now I am back on schedule with it. Take it on an empty stomach throughout the day, anywhere from 1,200 gdu's to 2,000 gdu's.

4. Examine your diet. I have had to eliminate lots of good, junky foods from my daily plan. By trial and error I have found out what seems to aggravate a bad situation. For me it is select carbohydrates. I can tolerate fruits and veggies -- but potatoes, pasta, bread, juice, snacks etc. don't help.

5. Follow your own course. I am probably the only person on this board who does not stretch as part of a treatment program. It has never worked for me and it has only increased my pain -- so I long ago gave it up. It know it works for 99% of everyone who posts here -- but there IS a one percent for whom it doesn't -- and I'm it. I truly believe each person must experiment and find out what works or doesn't for him or her -- and then be courageous enough to follow an individual course.

If there is one thing I would never do every two months it is get injected with cortisone. In fact -- once in a lifetime was enough for me.

Hope you find the right collection of remedies that bring relief.

Nancy S. on 9/12/00 at 17:05 (028050)

Rock: I do think you're right that even while people are resting, they need to ensure that atrophy doesn't set in.
On the other hand, I think general folks (which means most of us) need to keep in mind that with your ultra-fitness, your opinion of rest is bound to be different. And I do wonder if you've ever experienced the excruciating pain that most people here endure with PF and AT and other tendonitis, even in trying to keep up with daily activities, never mind keep up with the kind of athletic activities you seem to capable of. I'm on a good path right now, but it definitely includes some rest, and I'd end up in the hospital if I tried to do what it sounds like you do. It's just a different background and situation for many here. I'm not sure you can relate to it, but I'm glad for you that your situation is different and less limiting.
Nancy

salina on 9/12/00 at 17:08 (028051)

thanks Barbara,

You would think I would be swimming every day, living in Hawaii.
I have thought of getting one of those water jogger belts I saw in a catalog, and trying that.
We usually try to go to the pool or beach on the weekends. But with the kids I don't get a second to myself. So lately I have just sent dad off with the older ones. Now I am rethinking that idea. it is easy to get stuck in self pity and not get out like I should.
I have to remind myself my feet hurt just as much in here cleaning and up and down the stairs, as they would going out and doing something fun. I need to hang that statement on my wall, to remind me.
Money wise, I can't afford daycare for the two at home, to get any real benefit from going to the pool to work out. And hubby works erratic hours, so it would be hard to get on a schedule for evenings. I always say I am going to go by myself on the weekends, but it never happens. When the wheels turn, there is always a couple of kids wanting to go. I don't have the heart to say no. I need to though.

This pf seems to hit people in so many different ways. And it seems like totally different things work or dont work for some, and not others.
I hope we all find what does the trick for us. We could all be posting on a 'Remember when.....' board then. That would be nice.

salina on 9/12/00 at 17:25 (028052)

That's a good point, nancy.
Sometimes I feel like I will go crazy if I have to explain this pain to anyone else.
You really have to literally 'be in their shoes' to really understand the pain someone is in. And this pf and tendonitis and tts seems to run so many different painful routes through people.
I am soooo sick of people telling me they had EXACTLY what I have, and were all better in a month. I just keep in mind that they are really trying to be positive, and probably did have some slight case of pf or something, and got better. So I dont get mad at them. (or do I? haha)
All I know is, I have actually had to get on my knees and crawl several times. And I have my pride. I am not a weakling or whinny or like to sit on my duff. So trust me, for me to go down like that means at that moment there is no other option, cause I would definately take it before i would let my kids see me falling apart like that on the floor. I think all of us can say this, right??
We all have our levels of pain, types of pain, and different treatments we are trying. But we are all the same as far as wanting to get better. i don't think any of us are going to be sitting on our duffs once we are better, right??? We are gonna be flying high!! Can I get an amen?? just kidding there guys, got a little carried away with myself. I feel like i'm on a natural high today for some reason. or is it the allergy medicine???Hmmm...

Re: yes, its salina again, all wired up, but I do have a question

salina on 9/12/00 at 17:36 (028053)

Hi Robin,
Your post was very informative. Thanks for taking the time, and glad you are doing well.

I am thinking of getting a cortisone shot next week, so it peaked my interest what you said about that. Do you not think it would not be worth it?

And, do you take bromelain all by itself? I keep seeing different things like glucosamine and bromelain together.
I am currently on ibu, and a pretty high dose. I would like to get off it and get on something more natural.

thanks again.

Laurie R on 9/12/00 at 21:48 (028065)

Hi to all,
Nancy I couldn't have said it better my self.I would like to add about the rest thing.Rock I am very happy you are able to all you like to do. You must remenber we are a garden of PF we are not all alike. If I would of RESTED from the start of all of this I would of been cured by now. Resting is very very important to heal this. When I say rest I don't mean totally off your feet . I mean when you have pain rest your feet. You are always saying we don't need to rest or we rest to much ,I have read that time and time again from you. Most of us need to rest.........I am not trying to come down on you or be mean to you in anyway,but you did hit a nerve with me today about resting. What ever works for you. My best to you Rock ,I hope you don't have a set back from all the running you do.

Laurie R

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 10:09 (028085)

I loved your post - it gives me hope that although my recovery is long, I won't be this way forever. The detailed list of what worked is great. B.

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 10:21 (028086)

You are RIGHT about thinking that you have got to carve out some time for yourself to go to the pool. It is a great thing for the kids to understand and respect that. I had no idea where you lived, but now that I do shame shame! Before you try a jogging belt, you may just try jogging without one, using your cupped hands to keep you afloat. It works for me, I am embarrased to reveal that I 'float' rather well. And try putting your poor feet up against the pool outflows for a little massage, and pretend you are at a spa. I think you'll feel like a new woman.

B.

Iornwoman/Ultra Couch potato

(PF pain free since the last time I stood up)

Re: Amen

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 11:03 (028091)

Someone told me once, Salina, that I needed to change my socks. She had 'the same' problem as me, and changing to chushier socks cleared it up in a few days. SOCKS! B.

JudyS on 9/13/00 at 13:34 (028100)

I think I may be interpreting Rock's advice a little differently. I see him consistently advocate for biking and swimming in place of running or walking for exercise. I'm not reading that he's saying a PF sufferer should be his kind of athlete - just that they maintain some exercise activity as opposed to sitting still too much, which, we've learned, seems to lend itself to additional problems. I do disagree with the statement 'the more active a person is, the quicker they recover from PF'. If that were the case I would have recovered in less than a week two years ago! Rock, did you mean to say the more active a person is without added strain on the Plantar? I personally think rest should be an equal part of one's daily activities but that it should not supersede them. Rest is necessary for healing, activity is necessary for strength, circulation and the avoidance of craziness! If I had these last two years to live over I would have, a: followed conservative treatment protocol religiously from day one b; CHANGED (not stopped) extracurricular activities immediately and c; not prioritized rest which for me equalled isolation, depression and atrophy.
I understand now that PF, in it's chronic state, is going to stay that way for awhile period whether I'm sitting still or doing laundry. I believe that not doing laundry or not working in the garden inhibits healing by creating frustration and depression. My personal rules are; don't make it worse and don't let it be in charge. It's easy enough to stop running (as I bite down on my knuckles!) and just as easy to start biking. It's easy enough to stop playing ball and just as easy to only manage the ballgame from the dugout bench. It's easy enough to not go to the theatre and just as easy to rent a flick and buy subs. I don't go hiking but I do go camping.....and so on and so on. I just plain cannot give up on life while I wait for this to go away. That's like waiting for the money train or the magic diet pill before one can be happy. I let my PF get chronic but I also know that it's a good 60-70% better than it was a year ago.
Oops - did I do a soapbox just now? Sorry!

Re: Thanks, I Needed Some Motivation

salina on 9/13/00 at 14:49 (028107)

Thanks for the pep talk.
You know, at first, it seems like everyone in my family was so worried about me and my pain with this, and always helping. I should have got on the swimming kick then. Cause now its gone on for so long, and I still manage to keep their clothes clean and dinner on the table, to where they don't hardly even think about what I am going through.
I don't think its purposeful. Its just that way. This is really bad, but sometimes I think it would be better to have something totally broken so they could all SEE that something is painful.
I have got to assert my needs a lot more. thanks.

JudyS on 9/13/00 at 14:59 (028109)

Salina, I agree with you so much! Every step hurts but when they (and you) see you doing it anyway, it seems to take away the true seriousness of it. I can't remember the number of times I just wanted to yell at my family.....'don't you understand that it HURTS to stand there and do.......whatever!' Especially at dinner-time when the day has already been long. But I didn't yell, I did the task because it was just that one little thing........after another! And, too, I wanted a normal life. But when the cast(s) were on it was a different story. You are so right - if it's something that can both be seen AND inhibit your activity, it's taken a lot more seriously. That's one reason the cast and crutches route can be effective.

Re: That's the first I heard that one. Socks!!! Too funny!!! LOL eom

salina on 9/13/00 at 15:02 (028110)

eom

Nancy N on 9/13/00 at 16:52 (028126)

Amen, to both of you. I especially have this problem at work, where I have told them again and again that I have to be careful. We often have meetings standing around in an empty space in our office, and after a few minutes I have finally got to where I don't care how it looks if I pull up a chair. A friend at work has knee trouble and has the same problem--if they see you walking around at all, they assume there's nothing wrong with you. Even when I was wearing a walking cast, they got used to that and had me doing more than I should have been. But my parents don't understand, either, and it's so difficult to try to explain it to them.

I can't wait until I don't have to consider and reconsider the things I choose to do and not do, and worry about whether I should go do the things I really want to do, even if it will be hard on my feet.

Robin B. on 9/14/00 at 04:04 (028189)

Hi Salina -- yes, I take bromelain alone. I took glucosamine sulfate faithfully for 7 months before quitting and moving to bromelain. The important thing is to take it on an empty stomach, or at least in the absence of protein (although I find empty to be better for me). One of the reasons I like it so much is that it's not a drug -- it's an enzyme. No side effects for me at all.

Cortisone is a tough question. It's also a strong drug. The reason I'm not crazy about it, aside from the fact that it IS a strong drug, is that very few people seem to get relief beyond the temporary. Some people say it works for 6 months, some for 2, some for a couple of weeks. My feeling is -- why take such a colossal drug if you're only going to be back where you started?

john h on 9/14/00 at 09:52 (028203)

to rest and how much. to be active and how much has been a problem for me from the begining. you obviously have to strike a balance in that the fascia cannot heal with out some rest and may heal only to tear again with complete rest. some people have got better with a cast on their foot and others have not. for some the cast created other problems. we all probably have somewhat of a different cause/effect and thus there is no answer or one size that fits all. i have gone 2-3 weeks where my pain level would drop to 1 or almost zero only to have the PF reappear sometimes from over activity and sometimes for no reason at all. some may have two or more problems going on at once (pf-tts) which further compounds the question. we are all of different ages, body weights,and conditioning levels. i think each of us will have to find his/her on level of rest/activity that works best for themselves. this is tough and after all these years i have not found that level. i do know that running or two much walking will create a problem.

Beverly on 9/11/00 at 21:49 (027978)

Corrine,

Have you been to a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon? A very different type of doctor than a pod.
My first thought is if you can get your insurance to cover it, physical therapy will teach you more about stretching and the right way to stretch than one can do at home without instruction. Plus, depending on what your doctor orders, you may also get deep tissue massage among other things. The wonderful thing is that if you get massage through PT, insurance will often pay for it. There is a big difference between professional massage and what we can do on our own.
Good Luck,
Beverly

Rock on 9/12/00 at 09:11 (027997)

Years of postings on this board strongly suggests that the more more active a person is, the quicker they recover from PF. So many PF people 'over-rest' to the point of serious soft tissue atrophy that prevents full recovery. As always I recommend a great deal of swimming and biking.

Rock.
Ironman / UltraRunner.

(PF pain free since July)

Re: Here here !

Barbara S. on 9/12/00 at 09:56 (028004)

I totally agree. My PF went from bad to NIGHTMARE when I decided to put myself on total rest with a cast (I did this without the recommendation of a doctor). In only two weeks I was seeing the signs of atrophy, and I also brought upon myself a host of nerve problems that I'm still dealing with. Even though I'm still in a lot of pain, I swim and walk at least from room to room. I sit with feet on the floor, rocking them back and forth and going up on my toes to excercize them. Keep that circulation going but try to do it without pain. That's my new creed. B.

salina on 9/12/00 at 12:37 (028021)

Hi Rock,
Every time I read a post like yours or others saying it was better for them to keep going, instead of total rest, it confuses me and motivates me at the same time.
in a way, i feel like I have had no choice but keep going. With babies to take care of, a house to run, and hubby has to keep working (someone has to make some money in this family). So I have not been able to get any of that total rest business, yet. But I can rest enough that most of the time I don't overdo it. Well, I take that back, I do overdo it, but just occasionally.
Do you think the 'keep going' thing hasn't worked for me just because I had gotten so out of shape BEFORE I got this? At one time I was very fit and active and up for anything. But I was in the worst shape of my life right at the time I got PF. And I can't seem to heal.
So now I am considering the getting a cast at least on one foot.
It is scary to think of ending up worse from it instead of better.

But I think I need some total rest because the majority of my pain is
in the arch. Its like it is inflamed and never goes away.
Don't I sort of HAVE to get off it and let that heal?

I'm so jealous to hear about you running, and Bob G. jogging on the beach, and others playing tennis. Maybe one day it will happen for me.

Steve P on 9/12/00 at 14:32 (028031)

Corrine --- Some things you didn't mention:

Nightsplint
Supplements (e.g., glucosamine, chondroitin, bromelain)
Physical therapy

You might ask your doc about these.

Barbara S. on 9/12/00 at 15:19 (028035)

Salina - if you are raising your family right now, that is ALL the activity you should be doing - just walking from room to room when need be, sitting when you cook, etc. Rock (I think) is talking about sitting ALL DAY and never moving. You do have to get off it and let it heal, but not so much that you atrophy the very muscles that support the plantar fascia. Total rest is bad, I think. As if PF moms can do this anyway! I think the rules should be different for PF moms... just take care of as many basic needs as you need to (everyone fed and reasonably clean) and rest, rest, rest. Someone mentioned the idea that you need to walk around for about 3-5 minutes every hour or so. I make it evey half hour, and fewer minutes 1-2 on my feet.

Can you ever get out to swim? That would be ideal for activity without stress on feet, and it improves circulation SO MUCH... my sister was prescribed 3 HOURS in the pool a day when she was in the hospital and carrying twins. The babies had defect in their umbilical cord, and circulation was to them was poor. Doctors have long known that time in the pool (even just floating around, as she did) dramatically improves circulation. And, when you are in the pool, you can move about so easily, and pretend that you are Bob G. or Rock. I water jog, and it makes me feel so great just to have a picture of myself in my mind as a fit person. My best to you today, B.

Robin B. on 9/12/00 at 16:58 (028049)

I am one of those infrequent posters -- but I HAVE successfully treated my own PF to the point where I got my life back. I'm not jogging on the beach to be sure -- but I CAN conduct a normal life, stay on my feet for hours on end and live pretty much the life I want. Here is how.

1. Birks work for me. I don't recommend them for everyone, but what I do recommend is that you first find a shoe, some shoe, any shoe, that gives you some of the relief you seek. Birks just happen to be perfect for me. I'm never without them.

2. Rest your feet. This does not mean DO NOTHING. But for me it meant doing very little on my feet. (I used a bike for exercise.) I literally rested my feet for uppwards of a year. It was a boring year to be sure -- but life is a ton better now and I'm glad I did it.

3. Bromelain has helped me tremendously. Glucosamine has not. I take bromelain religiously. In fact, for the last couple of weeks I have gotten very lazy about it -- and boyohboy, did I ever notice the difference. My feet started aching again so now I am back on schedule with it. Take it on an empty stomach throughout the day, anywhere from 1,200 gdu's to 2,000 gdu's.

4. Examine your diet. I have had to eliminate lots of good, junky foods from my daily plan. By trial and error I have found out what seems to aggravate a bad situation. For me it is select carbohydrates. I can tolerate fruits and veggies -- but potatoes, pasta, bread, juice, snacks etc. don't help.

5. Follow your own course. I am probably the only person on this board who does not stretch as part of a treatment program. It has never worked for me and it has only increased my pain -- so I long ago gave it up. It know it works for 99% of everyone who posts here -- but there IS a one percent for whom it doesn't -- and I'm it. I truly believe each person must experiment and find out what works or doesn't for him or her -- and then be courageous enough to follow an individual course.

If there is one thing I would never do every two months it is get injected with cortisone. In fact -- once in a lifetime was enough for me.

Hope you find the right collection of remedies that bring relief.

Nancy S. on 9/12/00 at 17:05 (028050)

Rock: I do think you're right that even while people are resting, they need to ensure that atrophy doesn't set in.
On the other hand, I think general folks (which means most of us) need to keep in mind that with your ultra-fitness, your opinion of rest is bound to be different. And I do wonder if you've ever experienced the excruciating pain that most people here endure with PF and AT and other tendonitis, even in trying to keep up with daily activities, never mind keep up with the kind of athletic activities you seem to capable of. I'm on a good path right now, but it definitely includes some rest, and I'd end up in the hospital if I tried to do what it sounds like you do. It's just a different background and situation for many here. I'm not sure you can relate to it, but I'm glad for you that your situation is different and less limiting.
Nancy

salina on 9/12/00 at 17:08 (028051)

thanks Barbara,

You would think I would be swimming every day, living in Hawaii.
I have thought of getting one of those water jogger belts I saw in a catalog, and trying that.
We usually try to go to the pool or beach on the weekends. But with the kids I don't get a second to myself. So lately I have just sent dad off with the older ones. Now I am rethinking that idea. it is easy to get stuck in self pity and not get out like I should.
I have to remind myself my feet hurt just as much in here cleaning and up and down the stairs, as they would going out and doing something fun. I need to hang that statement on my wall, to remind me.
Money wise, I can't afford daycare for the two at home, to get any real benefit from going to the pool to work out. And hubby works erratic hours, so it would be hard to get on a schedule for evenings. I always say I am going to go by myself on the weekends, but it never happens. When the wheels turn, there is always a couple of kids wanting to go. I don't have the heart to say no. I need to though.

This pf seems to hit people in so many different ways. And it seems like totally different things work or dont work for some, and not others.
I hope we all find what does the trick for us. We could all be posting on a 'Remember when.....' board then. That would be nice.

salina on 9/12/00 at 17:25 (028052)

That's a good point, nancy.
Sometimes I feel like I will go crazy if I have to explain this pain to anyone else.
You really have to literally 'be in their shoes' to really understand the pain someone is in. And this pf and tendonitis and tts seems to run so many different painful routes through people.
I am soooo sick of people telling me they had EXACTLY what I have, and were all better in a month. I just keep in mind that they are really trying to be positive, and probably did have some slight case of pf or something, and got better. So I dont get mad at them. (or do I? haha)
All I know is, I have actually had to get on my knees and crawl several times. And I have my pride. I am not a weakling or whinny or like to sit on my duff. So trust me, for me to go down like that means at that moment there is no other option, cause I would definately take it before i would let my kids see me falling apart like that on the floor. I think all of us can say this, right??
We all have our levels of pain, types of pain, and different treatments we are trying. But we are all the same as far as wanting to get better. i don't think any of us are going to be sitting on our duffs once we are better, right??? We are gonna be flying high!! Can I get an amen?? just kidding there guys, got a little carried away with myself. I feel like i'm on a natural high today for some reason. or is it the allergy medicine???Hmmm...

salina on 9/12/00 at 17:36 (028053)

Hi Robin,
Your post was very informative. Thanks for taking the time, and glad you are doing well.

I am thinking of getting a cortisone shot next week, so it peaked my interest what you said about that. Do you not think it would not be worth it?

And, do you take bromelain all by itself? I keep seeing different things like glucosamine and bromelain together.
I am currently on ibu, and a pretty high dose. I would like to get off it and get on something more natural.

thanks again.

Laurie R on 9/12/00 at 21:48 (028065)

Hi to all,
Nancy I couldn't have said it better my self.I would like to add about the rest thing.Rock I am very happy you are able to all you like to do. You must remenber we are a garden of PF we are not all alike. If I would of RESTED from the start of all of this I would of been cured by now. Resting is very very important to heal this. When I say rest I don't mean totally off your feet . I mean when you have pain rest your feet. You are always saying we don't need to rest or we rest to much ,I have read that time and time again from you. Most of us need to rest.........I am not trying to come down on you or be mean to you in anyway,but you did hit a nerve with me today about resting. What ever works for you. My best to you Rock ,I hope you don't have a set back from all the running you do.

Laurie R

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 10:09 (028085)

I loved your post - it gives me hope that although my recovery is long, I won't be this way forever. The detailed list of what worked is great. B.

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 10:21 (028086)

You are RIGHT about thinking that you have got to carve out some time for yourself to go to the pool. It is a great thing for the kids to understand and respect that. I had no idea where you lived, but now that I do shame shame! Before you try a jogging belt, you may just try jogging without one, using your cupped hands to keep you afloat. It works for me, I am embarrased to reveal that I 'float' rather well. And try putting your poor feet up against the pool outflows for a little massage, and pretend you are at a spa. I think you'll feel like a new woman.

B.

Iornwoman/Ultra Couch potato

(PF pain free since the last time I stood up)

Re: Amen

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 11:03 (028091)

Someone told me once, Salina, that I needed to change my socks. She had 'the same' problem as me, and changing to chushier socks cleared it up in a few days. SOCKS! B.

JudyS on 9/13/00 at 13:34 (028100)

I think I may be interpreting Rock's advice a little differently. I see him consistently advocate for biking and swimming in place of running or walking for exercise. I'm not reading that he's saying a PF sufferer should be his kind of athlete - just that they maintain some exercise activity as opposed to sitting still too much, which, we've learned, seems to lend itself to additional problems. I do disagree with the statement 'the more active a person is, the quicker they recover from PF'. If that were the case I would have recovered in less than a week two years ago! Rock, did you mean to say the more active a person is without added strain on the Plantar? I personally think rest should be an equal part of one's daily activities but that it should not supersede them. Rest is necessary for healing, activity is necessary for strength, circulation and the avoidance of craziness! If I had these last two years to live over I would have, a: followed conservative treatment protocol religiously from day one b; CHANGED (not stopped) extracurricular activities immediately and c; not prioritized rest which for me equalled isolation, depression and atrophy.
I understand now that PF, in it's chronic state, is going to stay that way for awhile period whether I'm sitting still or doing laundry. I believe that not doing laundry or not working in the garden inhibits healing by creating frustration and depression. My personal rules are; don't make it worse and don't let it be in charge. It's easy enough to stop running (as I bite down on my knuckles!) and just as easy to start biking. It's easy enough to stop playing ball and just as easy to only manage the ballgame from the dugout bench. It's easy enough to not go to the theatre and just as easy to rent a flick and buy subs. I don't go hiking but I do go camping.....and so on and so on. I just plain cannot give up on life while I wait for this to go away. That's like waiting for the money train or the magic diet pill before one can be happy. I let my PF get chronic but I also know that it's a good 60-70% better than it was a year ago.
Oops - did I do a soapbox just now? Sorry!

salina on 9/13/00 at 14:49 (028107)

Thanks for the pep talk.
You know, at first, it seems like everyone in my family was so worried about me and my pain with this, and always helping. I should have got on the swimming kick then. Cause now its gone on for so long, and I still manage to keep their clothes clean and dinner on the table, to where they don't hardly even think about what I am going through.
I don't think its purposeful. Its just that way. This is really bad, but sometimes I think it would be better to have something totally broken so they could all SEE that something is painful.
I have got to assert my needs a lot more. thanks.

JudyS on 9/13/00 at 14:59 (028109)

Salina, I agree with you so much! Every step hurts but when they (and you) see you doing it anyway, it seems to take away the true seriousness of it. I can't remember the number of times I just wanted to yell at my family.....'don't you understand that it HURTS to stand there and do.......whatever!' Especially at dinner-time when the day has already been long. But I didn't yell, I did the task because it was just that one little thing........after another! And, too, I wanted a normal life. But when the cast(s) were on it was a different story. You are so right - if it's something that can both be seen AND inhibit your activity, it's taken a lot more seriously. That's one reason the cast and crutches route can be effective.

Re: That's the first I heard that one. Socks!!! Too funny!!! LOL eom

salina on 9/13/00 at 15:02 (028110)

eom

Nancy N on 9/13/00 at 16:52 (028126)

Amen, to both of you. I especially have this problem at work, where I have told them again and again that I have to be careful. We often have meetings standing around in an empty space in our office, and after a few minutes I have finally got to where I don't care how it looks if I pull up a chair. A friend at work has knee trouble and has the same problem--if they see you walking around at all, they assume there's nothing wrong with you. Even when I was wearing a walking cast, they got used to that and had me doing more than I should have been. But my parents don't understand, either, and it's so difficult to try to explain it to them.

I can't wait until I don't have to consider and reconsider the things I choose to do and not do, and worry about whether I should go do the things I really want to do, even if it will be hard on my feet.

Robin B. on 9/14/00 at 04:04 (028189)

Hi Salina -- yes, I take bromelain alone. I took glucosamine sulfate faithfully for 7 months before quitting and moving to bromelain. The important thing is to take it on an empty stomach, or at least in the absence of protein (although I find empty to be better for me). One of the reasons I like it so much is that it's not a drug -- it's an enzyme. No side effects for me at all.

Cortisone is a tough question. It's also a strong drug. The reason I'm not crazy about it, aside from the fact that it IS a strong drug, is that very few people seem to get relief beyond the temporary. Some people say it works for 6 months, some for 2, some for a couple of weeks. My feeling is -- why take such a colossal drug if you're only going to be back where you started?

john h on 9/14/00 at 09:52 (028203)

to rest and how much. to be active and how much has been a problem for me from the begining. you obviously have to strike a balance in that the fascia cannot heal with out some rest and may heal only to tear again with complete rest. some people have got better with a cast on their foot and others have not. for some the cast created other problems. we all probably have somewhat of a different cause/effect and thus there is no answer or one size that fits all. i have gone 2-3 weeks where my pain level would drop to 1 or almost zero only to have the PF reappear sometimes from over activity and sometimes for no reason at all. some may have two or more problems going on at once (pf-tts) which further compounds the question. we are all of different ages, body weights,and conditioning levels. i think each of us will have to find his/her on level of rest/activity that works best for themselves. this is tough and after all these years i have not found that level. i do know that running or two much walking will create a problem.