Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Yoga or Not to Yoga ...That is the question

Posted by Susan S on 9/12/00 at 07:47 (027990)

My gym is starting yoga classes this week. I have three days to decide but I am completely torn.

On the one hand, the benefits I have heard you all discuss sound wonderful. Stretching and relaxing, AH! And I can't imagine what it must be like to free your mind.

On the other hand, this is one more thing that would be added to my already overloaded schedule. And, well, you know, my feet hurt.

So I'm looking for advise from y'all. I'm in Mississippi. Not a lot of yoga practicer here....

Re: To Yoga or Not to Yoga ...That is the question

wendyn on 9/12/00 at 08:41 (027992)

Hi Susan....I think the yoga may be worth a try. I too have a very overloaded schedule - but for 90 minutes a week, no matter what - I take the time to take care of myself. I go to a 90 minute class in the instructors house. It's very quiet - no more than 6 people so she can help me with modifications on the poses I can't do.

If you decide to go for it, try talking to the instructor ahead of time so they know your physical limitations...that way they won't be inclined to come and correct you if you're doing a pose different than everyone else.

No standing bare feet. I know it's a yoga thing, but not for us. If you are able to do the standing poses (I don't recall your current status) then keep your Birks or your sneakers on.

I never do one legged balance poses, some of the standing poses I do kneeling when my feet hurt a lot.

Keep in mind that just because everyone else can do a stretch or a pose - it doesn't mean it's right for you. Listen to your bod - but that's what yoga is all about anyway...just being quiet and paying attention to your body.

Let us know how it goes!

guess who on 9/12/00 at 14:15 (028027)

the 'Yoga Queen' has spoken. Listen!

alan k on 9/12/00 at 18:13 (028057)

Yoga can really stimulate healing by involving the whole body in better and more comfortable posture, and integrating strength and flexibility gains throughout the entire functioning system of the body.

As many people discover, it also establishes conscious neuro-muscular connetctions to your body which are different than if you have not consciously worked on connecting to your body and waking up its potential.

Just be careful not to focus too narrowly in the yoga on working the feet, but trust in the rest of the body to help them along. Avoid standing postures for any period of time which feels like too much, and avoid one-legged postures for a least three months after you feel completely healed.

In general, the advice Wendy and I are giving you is be patient and tolerant of the feet. Don't push them, but take advantage of all the rest of the body you have to get better. The peace of mind alone is enough to help with pf.

yours,

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Julie on 9/21/00 at 09:02 (028802)

Susan, it's over a week since you posted your question, the thread is now buried three layers deep, and you've probably made your decision about going to the yoga class already, but I'd like to add that I think you should be careful about the kind of yoga class it is. Many may be too strong for you physically, and believe it or not, there are teachers around who may give you the feeling that you should be able to do everything everyone else is doing. Make sure you feel quite comfortable with the teacher and the style of yoga and don't feel you have to stick with the first class you try if it doesn't feel right.

Otherwise I agree with everything Wendy and Alan have said - especially about not doing one-legged balances and not standing barefoot. You'll need to explain to your teacher why you need to wear your Birks or whatever - as I'm now having to explain to my students why I have to!

I would also suggest that you tell your teacher what you know about PF - you'd never know it from this site, but lots of people have never heard of it. If she is one of these, anything she learns from you will help her (or maybe him) to help other PF sufferers she meets in the future.

wendyn on 9/12/00 at 08:41 (027992)

Hi Susan....I think the yoga may be worth a try. I too have a very overloaded schedule - but for 90 minutes a week, no matter what - I take the time to take care of myself. I go to a 90 minute class in the instructors house. It's very quiet - no more than 6 people so she can help me with modifications on the poses I can't do.

If you decide to go for it, try talking to the instructor ahead of time so they know your physical limitations...that way they won't be inclined to come and correct you if you're doing a pose different than everyone else.

No standing bare feet. I know it's a yoga thing, but not for us. If you are able to do the standing poses (I don't recall your current status) then keep your Birks or your sneakers on.

I never do one legged balance poses, some of the standing poses I do kneeling when my feet hurt a lot.

Keep in mind that just because everyone else can do a stretch or a pose - it doesn't mean it's right for you. Listen to your bod - but that's what yoga is all about anyway...just being quiet and paying attention to your body.

Let us know how it goes!

guess who on 9/12/00 at 14:15 (028027)

the 'Yoga Queen' has spoken. Listen!

alan k on 9/12/00 at 18:13 (028057)

Yoga can really stimulate healing by involving the whole body in better and more comfortable posture, and integrating strength and flexibility gains throughout the entire functioning system of the body.

As many people discover, it also establishes conscious neuro-muscular connetctions to your body which are different than if you have not consciously worked on connecting to your body and waking up its potential.

Just be careful not to focus too narrowly in the yoga on working the feet, but trust in the rest of the body to help them along. Avoid standing postures for any period of time which feels like too much, and avoid one-legged postures for a least three months after you feel completely healed.

In general, the advice Wendy and I are giving you is be patient and tolerant of the feet. Don't push them, but take advantage of all the rest of the body you have to get better. The peace of mind alone is enough to help with pf.

yours,

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Julie on 9/21/00 at 09:02 (028802)

Susan, it's over a week since you posted your question, the thread is now buried three layers deep, and you've probably made your decision about going to the yoga class already, but I'd like to add that I think you should be careful about the kind of yoga class it is. Many may be too strong for you physically, and believe it or not, there are teachers around who may give you the feeling that you should be able to do everything everyone else is doing. Make sure you feel quite comfortable with the teacher and the style of yoga and don't feel you have to stick with the first class you try if it doesn't feel right.

Otherwise I agree with everything Wendy and Alan have said - especially about not doing one-legged balances and not standing barefoot. You'll need to explain to your teacher why you need to wear your Birks or whatever - as I'm now having to explain to my students why I have to!

I would also suggest that you tell your teacher what you know about PF - you'd never know it from this site, but lots of people have never heard of it. If she is one of these, anything she learns from you will help her (or maybe him) to help other PF sufferers she meets in the future.