Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Materials orthosis are made from?

Posted by Pauline on 9/12/00 at 08:59 (027994)

I've given a lot of thought about foot support and wonder about the possibility of making a PF orthosis from the new mattress memory
material. It looks like a very dense foam, but never really bottoms
out. For those of us who cannot stand anything hard against the foot
perhaps having this material as a shoe liner would provide all over support without the pain.

Saline brought this to mind when she talked about walking on sand.
It surrounds the entire foot for support. Maybe this other material
would do the same thing. Has anyone tried creating an entire shoe liner?

Re: Materials orthosis are made from?

john a on 9/12/00 at 12:03 (028013)

If by 'mattress memory material' you mean some stuff out of which mattresses to sleep on are made out of, it would probably be way too soft to provide foot support, but there are undoubtedly other more suitable materials available. I guess Dr. Kiper's Silicon Dynamic Orthotics (mentioned on Scott's product page) are one (expensive) way to go (I still haven't heard whether they helped anyone here though).

And I still don't know why the heck some enterprising individual doesn't make a line of sandals with an emulated birk footbed that come in a range of softnesses and arch and heel heights. You wouldn't even need to have any in stock: they would just be created from molds as they were ordered! They should cost $30 at most.

Pauline on 9/12/00 at 21:35 (028063)

I like your idea. There is family run custom shoe company called
Hersey Custom Shoes. I wonder if we could convience him to try something like this. His shoes range in price from 125.00 and up. I wouldn't mind a trip to his store to see what he might suggest for comfort.

john a on 9/12/00 at 12:03 (028013)

If by 'mattress memory material' you mean some stuff out of which mattresses to sleep on are made out of, it would probably be way too soft to provide foot support, but there are undoubtedly other more suitable materials available. I guess Dr. Kiper's Silicon Dynamic Orthotics (mentioned on Scott's product page) are one (expensive) way to go (I still haven't heard whether they helped anyone here though).

And I still don't know why the heck some enterprising individual doesn't make a line of sandals with an emulated birk footbed that come in a range of softnesses and arch and heel heights. You wouldn't even need to have any in stock: they would just be created from molds as they were ordered! They should cost $30 at most.

Pauline on 9/12/00 at 21:35 (028063)

I like your idea. There is family run custom shoe company called
Hersey Custom Shoes. I wonder if we could convience him to try something like this. His shoes range in price from 125.00 and up. I wouldn't mind a trip to his store to see what he might suggest for comfort.