Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pft's

Posted by judy b on 9/12/00 at 11:56 (028011)

To Judy S......Maybe you've already answered this but I can't seem to find it....I'm considering purchasing a PFT and am interested in why you were returning yours....did you have a bad experience with them?

Re: pft's

JudyS on 9/12/00 at 14:19 (028030)

Hey Jude! (Don't you just love it?) I'd like to tell you about my experience with the PFTs - and at the same time I encourage you to look for posts from folks who've had different experiences.
When I eventually identified what muscles they were targeting via isometric methodology, I knew that I was already, and could more, targeting the same muscles with my PT work and my own equipment at home - albiet by resistance methodology. So I'd just as soon not have to spend more money on something if I don't have to. I would say that they may be effective tools for someone who chooses no other methods for strenthening. (I never did figure out how they were providing stretching)
What I didn't like? The instructions were difficult to decipher. (There is a set of them on the PFT link) I finally figured out that the resistance is provided by one's hands holding the devices - this was a bit tough on my hands/wrists and, naturally, I got paranoid about that! And, I never could quite master a way to keep the bar that slips between the toes from causing soreness. I think they may have to be held just-so to avoid that.
Last, as you know, my return was problematic. When they got through a customs mess they sat in a warehouse while Mike was out of town and UPS couldn't contact him. I'm surprised that there wasn't a contact person in his office or that he didn't retrieve his messages. When UPS wanted Mike, as receivor, to pay something called a 'brokerage' fee, he said there should have been no such fee and offered to split it with me. That was supposed to have been resolved but the UPS tracking website today tells me that the package has been returned to me. If that's the case, I'll be glad to send them to you free of charge. I think too that Mike might want to clear up confusion about who exactly deals with the PFT's - is it him or is it Maximum Health? He posts Maximum Health, that return address was on my package, but they told me on the phone they don't handle it - and I'd given the UPS their phone number! In fact, just to double check, I phoned MaxHealth again and the person I spoke with had no idea what the PFT was. I confirmed the phone number with her as well as the street address. I'm sure Mike will let us know.
Judy, having said all that, there are folks who've posted that they use their PFT's happily and faithfully so I could be all wet on my experience with them and/or just an isolated case.
My best to you!

Re: pft's -- and please consider Acu-Flex too

Nancy S. on 9/12/00 at 16:44 (028046)

Hi Judy B.,
I don't mean to deter you from PFTs if that is what you're looking for, and I can't speak from personal experience because I haven't tried them.
But I do just want to bring your attention to the Acu-Flex, also listed on Scott's products page. I have been working with them for a week and a half and already notice positive results (after having PF for 16 months and three forms of tendonitis for 4-5 months!). They are gentle to use and yet strong in their strengthening and stretching capabilities -- and you can take a whole-body approach with them, which I think a lot of us need after being downed for some time with foot pain. Just food for thought for you.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide!
Nancy

Mike W on 9/13/00 at 12:36 (028096)

Hello Judy,

I am sorry that you have experienced problems shipping them back to me but I have no control over shipping companies and customs brokers. I called your shipper and had no luck with them. I then phoned you twice to try to help. I never said I would split the brokerage fee I said it was not applicable in this case. You told me that they were taking the case to a superior to fix the problem.

Maxhealth is one of my business interests and I am the sole employee at my office. I have a pooled receptionist who is not an employee of mine but will direct my calls to me. I have voice mail at my office but I was in the mountains with no acess to a phone to check my messages last week.

I just recently incoporated my business and could not use Maximum Health Products as it was already taken and have not had time to change this yet.

The feedback that I have received regarding my instructions has been very positive if the user takes the time to read them and look at the pictures. I have clients with severe brain injuries who use them with excellent results. If people have overly sensitive feet I recommend wearing socks while performing the exercises.

Another reason that you had probably had problems is that the resistance (not pulling or pushing) is not provided by your hands and arms. Your hands and arms are used like shock absorbers while the isolated muscles are gently contracted. Most people have foot muscles that are weak to begin with and a lot weaker than the hand and arm muscles. The mechanical advantage of the PFT even increases this and yes if you incorrectly pull or push with your hands then what you are really doing is exercising your hands and arms (and therefore will feel it there)and at the same time are placing too much pressure on the weaker isolated foot and leg muscles.

In my PF Booklet I describe my technique very throughly and what you failed to understand is something called muscle Facilitation/Inhibition, which is the natural and automatic process of turning one muscle on (contraction or shortening) which turns the opposing muscle off (relaxation or stretching).

Again I am sorry my PFT's were not for you along with the shipping problems.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot

Mike W on 9/13/00 at 12:50 (028099)

Hello Judy b,

Thank you for your interest in my PFT's.

I would suggest you ask Dr. Zuckerman what he thinks about my PFT's.

You should be aware that my PFT's are for strengthening and stretching neglected foot and leg muscles. This is a very important part of the healing process and not the only one. The routine in my PF Booklet includes other complimentary self care options.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot
Physical Therapist, Principal Personal Foot Trainers email (email removed)

JudyS on 9/13/00 at 18:20 (028134)

seems to me Mike, that here is what a sincere customer-service person would have said:

'Judy, I'm so sorry you've experienced these problems. I will send your refund immediately no matter where the package is. I stand by my money-back guarantee. And thank you for encouraging board readers to explore other opinions of my product.'

But to suggest that I, the customer, am not truthful, to make excuses and to infer that I'm simply not bright enough to use your product is only shooting yourself in the business foot.
If we have further communication, I suggest it be by email only.

SueS on 9/13/00 at 20:59 (028158)

Here it goes again. Mike W was given a thrashing when he first started on the board with his PFT's and now again. He has given a lot of helpful and interesting information about anatomy and action of muscles. He is very helpful and informative with questions. Whoever is interested in PFT or Acu-Flex or whatever device you want to try, take into consideration the people who have actually used these devices and how they have helped or not. Let's be kind to others.

JUDY B on 9/14/00 at 10:03 (028204)

OK Mike W, I'm going to put you on the spot. Are you familiar with the Acu-Flex? If so, could you compare the two. Is a PFT safely used by someone who has significant atrophy of the foot/leg muscles?

JudyS on 9/12/00 at 14:19 (028030)

Hey Jude! (Don't you just love it?) I'd like to tell you about my experience with the PFTs - and at the same time I encourage you to look for posts from folks who've had different experiences.
When I eventually identified what muscles they were targeting via isometric methodology, I knew that I was already, and could more, targeting the same muscles with my PT work and my own equipment at home - albiet by resistance methodology. So I'd just as soon not have to spend more money on something if I don't have to. I would say that they may be effective tools for someone who chooses no other methods for strenthening. (I never did figure out how they were providing stretching)
What I didn't like? The instructions were difficult to decipher. (There is a set of them on the PFT link) I finally figured out that the resistance is provided by one's hands holding the devices - this was a bit tough on my hands/wrists and, naturally, I got paranoid about that! And, I never could quite master a way to keep the bar that slips between the toes from causing soreness. I think they may have to be held just-so to avoid that.
Last, as you know, my return was problematic. When they got through a customs mess they sat in a warehouse while Mike was out of town and UPS couldn't contact him. I'm surprised that there wasn't a contact person in his office or that he didn't retrieve his messages. When UPS wanted Mike, as receivor, to pay something called a 'brokerage' fee, he said there should have been no such fee and offered to split it with me. That was supposed to have been resolved but the UPS tracking website today tells me that the package has been returned to me. If that's the case, I'll be glad to send them to you free of charge. I think too that Mike might want to clear up confusion about who exactly deals with the PFT's - is it him or is it Maximum Health? He posts Maximum Health, that return address was on my package, but they told me on the phone they don't handle it - and I'd given the UPS their phone number! In fact, just to double check, I phoned MaxHealth again and the person I spoke with had no idea what the PFT was. I confirmed the phone number with her as well as the street address. I'm sure Mike will let us know.
Judy, having said all that, there are folks who've posted that they use their PFT's happily and faithfully so I could be all wet on my experience with them and/or just an isolated case.
My best to you!

Re: pft's -- and please consider Acu-Flex too

Nancy S. on 9/12/00 at 16:44 (028046)

Hi Judy B.,
I don't mean to deter you from PFTs if that is what you're looking for, and I can't speak from personal experience because I haven't tried them.
But I do just want to bring your attention to the Acu-Flex, also listed on Scott's products page. I have been working with them for a week and a half and already notice positive results (after having PF for 16 months and three forms of tendonitis for 4-5 months!). They are gentle to use and yet strong in their strengthening and stretching capabilities -- and you can take a whole-body approach with them, which I think a lot of us need after being downed for some time with foot pain. Just food for thought for you.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide!
Nancy

Mike W on 9/13/00 at 12:36 (028096)

Hello Judy,

I am sorry that you have experienced problems shipping them back to me but I have no control over shipping companies and customs brokers. I called your shipper and had no luck with them. I then phoned you twice to try to help. I never said I would split the brokerage fee I said it was not applicable in this case. You told me that they were taking the case to a superior to fix the problem.

Maxhealth is one of my business interests and I am the sole employee at my office. I have a pooled receptionist who is not an employee of mine but will direct my calls to me. I have voice mail at my office but I was in the mountains with no acess to a phone to check my messages last week.

I just recently incoporated my business and could not use Maximum Health Products as it was already taken and have not had time to change this yet.

The feedback that I have received regarding my instructions has been very positive if the user takes the time to read them and look at the pictures. I have clients with severe brain injuries who use them with excellent results. If people have overly sensitive feet I recommend wearing socks while performing the exercises.

Another reason that you had probably had problems is that the resistance (not pulling or pushing) is not provided by your hands and arms. Your hands and arms are used like shock absorbers while the isolated muscles are gently contracted. Most people have foot muscles that are weak to begin with and a lot weaker than the hand and arm muscles. The mechanical advantage of the PFT even increases this and yes if you incorrectly pull or push with your hands then what you are really doing is exercising your hands and arms (and therefore will feel it there)and at the same time are placing too much pressure on the weaker isolated foot and leg muscles.

In my PF Booklet I describe my technique very throughly and what you failed to understand is something called muscle Facilitation/Inhibition, which is the natural and automatic process of turning one muscle on (contraction or shortening) which turns the opposing muscle off (relaxation or stretching).

Again I am sorry my PFT's were not for you along with the shipping problems.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot

Mike W on 9/13/00 at 12:50 (028099)

Hello Judy b,

Thank you for your interest in my PFT's.

I would suggest you ask Dr. Zuckerman what he thinks about my PFT's.

You should be aware that my PFT's are for strengthening and stretching neglected foot and leg muscles. This is a very important part of the healing process and not the only one. The routine in my PF Booklet includes other complimentary self care options.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot
Physical Therapist, Principal Personal Foot Trainers email (email removed)

JudyS on 9/13/00 at 18:20 (028134)

seems to me Mike, that here is what a sincere customer-service person would have said:

'Judy, I'm so sorry you've experienced these problems. I will send your refund immediately no matter where the package is. I stand by my money-back guarantee. And thank you for encouraging board readers to explore other opinions of my product.'

But to suggest that I, the customer, am not truthful, to make excuses and to infer that I'm simply not bright enough to use your product is only shooting yourself in the business foot.
If we have further communication, I suggest it be by email only.

SueS on 9/13/00 at 20:59 (028158)

Here it goes again. Mike W was given a thrashing when he first started on the board with his PFT's and now again. He has given a lot of helpful and interesting information about anatomy and action of muscles. He is very helpful and informative with questions. Whoever is interested in PFT or Acu-Flex or whatever device you want to try, take into consideration the people who have actually used these devices and how they have helped or not. Let's be kind to others.

JUDY B on 9/14/00 at 10:03 (028204)

OK Mike W, I'm going to put you on the spot. Are you familiar with the Acu-Flex? If so, could you compare the two. Is a PFT safely used by someone who has significant atrophy of the foot/leg muscles?