Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What do the doctors think of Dr. Kiper's "Silicon Dynamics Orthotics"?

Posted by john a on 9/12/00 at 12:11 (028016)

Namely, the ones offered at http://www.drkiper.com/ and listed on Scotts products page. From the FAQ at the site 'The SDO uses fluid silicone to guide the foot into its best position on the ground naturally. A traditional orthotic confines the foot to a pre-set position. The SDO is the only orthotic in the world that moves with the motion of the arch and cushions the end of the motion where the foot gets ready to move off. A traditional support stops the motion abruptly, which makes it impossible for most people to tolerate beyond the first 2-4 months.'

Re: What do the doctors think of Dr. Kiper's "Silicon Dynamics Orthotics"?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/12/00 at 12:26 (028018)

These insert are effective for shock absorption and not biomechanical control of the humamn foot. So if you need good custom shock absorption inserts these are good.

john a on 9/12/00 at 13:35 (028022)

That's what I would have thought too, Dr. Z, but it looks like control/correction of foot mechanics is also claimed. Again, from the FAQ:

4- What's the difference between the SDO and the gel-filled orthotics you can buy in the store?

The SDO is a prescription. This means it is more precise than one that fits anyone wearing the same size
shoe. It is this precision fit that makes this orthotic work for the poor alignment characteristics of your
feet which create everything from foot pain to knee, hip and low back pain. The SDO is fitted from an
impression mold which gives not only the size of of your foot but most importantly the position of your
foot. It is easy to do at home and then send back.

5- How can you prescribe orthotics for me without seeing me or my feet?

Technology and experience. Capturing the optimal position of your feet to the ground is all I need to
correct your poor alignment which is what is affecting your feet, knees, hips and low back.

Can this be right?

Dr. Biehler on 9/12/00 at 18:35 (028059)

In the 1970 orthotics were made from a pencil tracing around the foot on a piece of paper. The orthotic makers said they were custom orthotics and becuse of their experiance in making orhtoics they said they were good. Now these are called sized prefabs. I think most labs adjust molds to what they think they should be before the orthotic is made. This has to be watched out for when a functional orthotic is being made. If you are self sizing for an orthotic or even for shoes now, the impression foam can be a good way to do it. For 70 % of the population this is OK. If the results are not what you wanted or expected, then its time to have a profesional evaluation.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/12/00 at 12:26 (028018)

These insert are effective for shock absorption and not biomechanical control of the humamn foot. So if you need good custom shock absorption inserts these are good.

john a on 9/12/00 at 13:35 (028022)

That's what I would have thought too, Dr. Z, but it looks like control/correction of foot mechanics is also claimed. Again, from the FAQ:

4- What's the difference between the SDO and the gel-filled orthotics you can buy in the store?

The SDO is a prescription. This means it is more precise than one that fits anyone wearing the same size
shoe. It is this precision fit that makes this orthotic work for the poor alignment characteristics of your
feet which create everything from foot pain to knee, hip and low back pain. The SDO is fitted from an
impression mold which gives not only the size of of your foot but most importantly the position of your
foot. It is easy to do at home and then send back.

5- How can you prescribe orthotics for me without seeing me or my feet?

Technology and experience. Capturing the optimal position of your feet to the ground is all I need to
correct your poor alignment which is what is affecting your feet, knees, hips and low back.

Can this be right?

Dr. Biehler on 9/12/00 at 18:35 (028059)

In the 1970 orthotics were made from a pencil tracing around the foot on a piece of paper. The orthotic makers said they were custom orthotics and becuse of their experiance in making orhtoics they said they were good. Now these are called sized prefabs. I think most labs adjust molds to what they think they should be before the orthotic is made. This has to be watched out for when a functional orthotic is being made. If you are self sizing for an orthotic or even for shoes now, the impression foam can be a good way to do it. For 70 % of the population this is OK. If the results are not what you wanted or expected, then its time to have a profesional evaluation.