Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

An interesting conversation...

Posted by Barbara S. on 9/12/00 at 15:44 (028040)

My podiatrist called me today for a progress report and to tell me that my neurological tests are 100% normal. When we discussed 'where next' we had a very good conversation about orthotrispy. He has been interested in this behind my back, all this time! He was QUITE interested in hearing about Dr. Zuckerman et al and heelspurs.com, and is waiting for FDA approval to pool up with other Drs. and afford a machine (I think they may already have a request for a machine in?) He is calling Dr. Z today to learn more and is visiting us today at heelspurs.com. It is my dream that Dr. Z will come here to Dallas to teach these guys to perform orthotripsy, with my feet as willing volunteers. I think he was under the impression that he couldn't do orthotripsy until it was all-the-way FDA approved. He wanted to let me know that my insurance company probably wouldn't pay for it, and I said BIG DEAL? Who isn't going to pay to walk around normally? So, he is watching me with interest and wants to know how my orthotripsy turns out if I decide to do it. I am not sure I'm the right kind of patient yet, not having benefitted from injections. He did admit to me that a fasciotomy DID take up to 6 months or more to recover from - something that we never discussed before. But, it was more than coincidence that I had a pile of Dr. Z's statistics in front of me to rattle off. Am I the queen of PF or what? I will keep the Dallas PF club updated. B.

Re: An interesting conversation...

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/12/00 at 15:50 (028041)

What is the name of your podiatrist. I have talked to alot of podiatrists in the Dallas area. The name of Dr. Sloan. Gordon. Does that ring a bell?

Martha B. on 9/12/00 at 18:59 (028060)

Is 2 hours away from Dallas too far to join 'the club'? Do you take applications? Do I need to send references?

Re: Name of podiatrist

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 10:06 (028084)

His name is Dr. Jay Lifshen, and he practices in Irving, TX, a suburb of Dallas. He said 'go for it' when I explained my desire for the procedure. I don't think he knows much about the procedure - he seemed to think that the machine took up a whole room (probably like and MRI, but I told him it was 'vacuumn sized' and he also thought people needed to be totally sedated. I also explained to him that it can be used at different strengths, and that you attribute your success rate to following strictly the manufacurer's protocols (if I remember correctly). Anyway, he is doing his internet research and asked for your phone number. I hope you talk soon! B.

Re: Texas PF Club

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 10:29 (028088)

After you submit evidence of a bad home haircut, a pile of useless othosis, and a significant limp, all you have to do is learn the secret handshake and you're in, baby! B.

P.S. Where do you live, Martha.

P.P.S. Does anyone know where Beverly lives?

Sue R on 9/13/00 at 14:33 (028106)

Hi Barbara. I guess I'm in the Club, huh? But I do not want to cut my own hair...is that ok? :)

Your Dr. L. is one that I've called recently for questions. My hubby knows someone that has gone to him and recommended that I see him. However, I decided to go the Ortho route and am just waiting it out for awhile. Do you like him a lot? Is he sympathetic or just anxious for you to quit complaining? My POD was incredibly irritating and hated for me to interrupt him w/ questions.

I'm anxious to hear what he has to say. Has anyone ever had ESWT in an area outside of the insertion point? I'm still thinking of those nerves!

Sue R

Re: Texas PF Club, pain in central arch

Brandon E on 9/13/00 at 14:50 (028108)

Hi Sue,

I have severe arch pain, but not at the point of insertion of the fascia to the heel bone. The pain is in the central part of the arch. Is that what you have, too? If I understand correctly from Dr. Zs comments, ESWT is only effective if your pain is at the insertion point. Does anyone have anymore info on this?

I live near Fort Worth, TX, so I am interested in seeing this technology come down our way.

Brandon E

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/13/00 at 18:56 (028140)

I will await his phone call.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/13/00 at 19:01 (028142)

I just had my First Texas ESWT . They drove all the way from Texas to little old New Jersey. Since Woodbury is right below the Mason-Dixon I told them that they didn't have to lock their car doors. They were a great couple. I will post her results . These are only two days old.
Satisfaction 9 Pain relief from 10-3. The rest is too soon but a 9 i did get. I guest the fact that I didn't tell them that the South will Raise again costed me some points. Anyway great people.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/13/00 at 19:03 (028143)

If this outside of the insertion changes or I know of anyone in Europe
doing this I promise the Texas PF group get the first pony express announcement

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 19:58 (028149)

I like Dr. L very much. His injections (although they didn't help me) were administered very skillfully and he listened very patiently to what I had to say. He showed me how to stretch properly - but by the time I went to see him, I'd done all the conservative stuff anyway. He does an open release because he says that frequently the endoscopic partial releases have to be done over - oh yes, and he also removes the spur. Take what you will from this (I differ with him on doing the surgery after 6 months). When I saw him for the second time, he said he'd never seen someone in a wheelchair from PF and told me to go out the back because people would wonder what he'd done to me (HA HA). He really seemed interested and I hope that he pursues ESWT more quickly. He doesn't seem super conservative, but so much better than the last guy. Good luck! B.

Martha B. on 9/13/00 at 20:27 (028155)

I live in Longview!I have 3 pair of orthotics to contribute,magnets,spencos too.

Sue R on 9/14/00 at 09:20 (028202)

My pain is primarily in the arch. Dr. Z has stated that the pain must be localized in the insertion point but Barbara S. has been asking her neurologist about whether or not the procedure can be done elsewhere with no nerve damage. I think the jury is still out on this one. Can anyone else help?

Sue R

john h on 9/14/00 at 12:42 (028210)

with injections you have to hit the right spot or no help is forth coming. same way with eswt. perhaps the injections were off target which would seem easy to do.

Eddie Green on 9/18/00 at 20:06 (028593)

HOWDY from Texas Doc! I think Diane is doing great so far. She is doing her Excercises and working on that stretching. Also wanted to let you know we had a great time with you and your staff. I think you all would make GOOD TEXANS! Will keep you informed as we go. Tell all the ladies in the office hello for us. E-mail you soon, Eddie

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/12/00 at 15:50 (028041)

What is the name of your podiatrist. I have talked to alot of podiatrists in the Dallas area. The name of Dr. Sloan. Gordon. Does that ring a bell?

Martha B. on 9/12/00 at 18:59 (028060)

Is 2 hours away from Dallas too far to join 'the club'? Do you take applications? Do I need to send references?

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 10:06 (028084)

His name is Dr. Jay Lifshen, and he practices in Irving, TX, a suburb of Dallas. He said 'go for it' when I explained my desire for the procedure. I don't think he knows much about the procedure - he seemed to think that the machine took up a whole room (probably like and MRI, but I told him it was 'vacuumn sized' and he also thought people needed to be totally sedated. I also explained to him that it can be used at different strengths, and that you attribute your success rate to following strictly the manufacurer's protocols (if I remember correctly). Anyway, he is doing his internet research and asked for your phone number. I hope you talk soon! B.

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 10:29 (028088)

After you submit evidence of a bad home haircut, a pile of useless othosis, and a significant limp, all you have to do is learn the secret handshake and you're in, baby! B.

P.S. Where do you live, Martha.

P.P.S. Does anyone know where Beverly lives?

Sue R on 9/13/00 at 14:33 (028106)

Hi Barbara. I guess I'm in the Club, huh? But I do not want to cut my own hair...is that ok? :)

Your Dr. L. is one that I've called recently for questions. My hubby knows someone that has gone to him and recommended that I see him. However, I decided to go the Ortho route and am just waiting it out for awhile. Do you like him a lot? Is he sympathetic or just anxious for you to quit complaining? My POD was incredibly irritating and hated for me to interrupt him w/ questions.

I'm anxious to hear what he has to say. Has anyone ever had ESWT in an area outside of the insertion point? I'm still thinking of those nerves!

Sue R

Brandon E on 9/13/00 at 14:50 (028108)

Hi Sue,

I have severe arch pain, but not at the point of insertion of the fascia to the heel bone. The pain is in the central part of the arch. Is that what you have, too? If I understand correctly from Dr. Zs comments, ESWT is only effective if your pain is at the insertion point. Does anyone have anymore info on this?

I live near Fort Worth, TX, so I am interested in seeing this technology come down our way.

Brandon E

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/13/00 at 18:56 (028140)

I will await his phone call.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/13/00 at 19:01 (028142)

I just had my First Texas ESWT . They drove all the way from Texas to little old New Jersey. Since Woodbury is right below the Mason-Dixon I told them that they didn't have to lock their car doors. They were a great couple. I will post her results . These are only two days old.
Satisfaction 9 Pain relief from 10-3. The rest is too soon but a 9 i did get. I guest the fact that I didn't tell them that the South will Raise again costed me some points. Anyway great people.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/13/00 at 19:03 (028143)

If this outside of the insertion changes or I know of anyone in Europe
doing this I promise the Texas PF group get the first pony express announcement

Barbara S. on 9/13/00 at 19:58 (028149)

I like Dr. L very much. His injections (although they didn't help me) were administered very skillfully and he listened very patiently to what I had to say. He showed me how to stretch properly - but by the time I went to see him, I'd done all the conservative stuff anyway. He does an open release because he says that frequently the endoscopic partial releases have to be done over - oh yes, and he also removes the spur. Take what you will from this (I differ with him on doing the surgery after 6 months). When I saw him for the second time, he said he'd never seen someone in a wheelchair from PF and told me to go out the back because people would wonder what he'd done to me (HA HA). He really seemed interested and I hope that he pursues ESWT more quickly. He doesn't seem super conservative, but so much better than the last guy. Good luck! B.

Martha B. on 9/13/00 at 20:27 (028155)

I live in Longview!I have 3 pair of orthotics to contribute,magnets,spencos too.

Sue R on 9/14/00 at 09:20 (028202)

My pain is primarily in the arch. Dr. Z has stated that the pain must be localized in the insertion point but Barbara S. has been asking her neurologist about whether or not the procedure can be done elsewhere with no nerve damage. I think the jury is still out on this one. Can anyone else help?

Sue R

john h on 9/14/00 at 12:42 (028210)

with injections you have to hit the right spot or no help is forth coming. same way with eswt. perhaps the injections were off target which would seem easy to do.

Eddie Green on 9/18/00 at 20:06 (028593)

HOWDY from Texas Doc! I think Diane is doing great so far. She is doing her Excercises and working on that stretching. Also wanted to let you know we had a great time with you and your staff. I think you all would make GOOD TEXANS! Will keep you informed as we go. Tell all the ladies in the office hello for us. E-mail you soon, Eddie