Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acu-Flex questions (esp. for Nancy S/Alan K)

Posted by Nancy N on 9/13/00 at 12:04 (028095)

Hi--I'm wondering if Nancy S is the only person on the board who's tried the Acu-Flex. I sent the web page to my ortho and he suggested I try it, and before I do that I have a few other questions:

1. How long does shipment take?

2. How long was it before you noticed any difference?

3. I only have PF in one foot right now, so I am reluctant to buy more than one Acu-Flex. Is that a mistake? Is there any benefit to stretching the unaffected foot, or problem if one is stretched but not the other?

Thanks much for your input--I really appreciate it!

Re: Acu-Flex questions (esp. for Nancy S/Alan K)

Nancy S. on 9/13/00 at 16:18 (028114)

Hi Nancy N,
Let's see, I received my Acu-Flex 6 days after sending my check. If you fill out the form on their web site, they get the package all ready and send it as soon as your check arrives.
The first difference I noticed was only 4 days after starting to use them, which no doubt is one reason I'm so enthusiastic! My worse foot suddenly stopped shaking when I was doing the only actual strengthening exercise I'd been able to manage at all (pointing my feet, contracting the calves) -- and until I began using the Acu-Flex, it had shaken uncontrollably for weeks every time I did that exercise. At PT today, my therapist attributed the disappearance of that shaking to the stretching exercises I've been doing with the Acu-Flex, and said 'Your foot is definitely getting stronger!' She had me make up a card for her office with a description of the Acu-Flex and the web site address -- she wants her other PF and tendonitis patients to use them. (I'd already brought them and the manual in for her to look at last week.)
I've been using them quite religiously for a week and a half now -- which is unusual for me! And I do feel the strength that is building -- I mean I feel it in general, not just when I'm exercising. And my feet seem to be gaining flexibility -- I can feel it because I'm experiencing a bit less pain now and so am walking a little better. My husband commented on my improved walk a few nights ago, and a friend commented on it yesterday. I was thrilled!
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not going to be cured in a few weeks. I've had PF in one foot for 16 months and achilles and other tendonitis in both feet for 4-5 months. So I have a lot of work ahead of me still. But the Acu-Flex actually makes me believe I'm going to get there, and if I stay on track and committed I know I will.
I don't know what to tell you, about whether to get one or two. (Maybe Alan K can address this?) Maybe try one at first to be sure you like it? I think in the end I would have wanted two anyway, even if I were dealing only with PF and in one foot -- because at this point I really want both feet to be and stay healthy. (My non-PF foot was so overburdened from compensating that I think that's why other tendons in that foot ultimately got damaged too.) You can use one Acu-Flex and work each foot and leg separately, and if you're a good exerciser that might work fine for you. I just like doing both at once, and it also cuts the exercise time in half, which makes me more apt to use them as often as I like (3 times a day now -- once I'm better, and have been better for a good while, I'll probably do one good session a day for maintenance).
Ok Nancy, I hope this helps. I don't know if anyone else on the board has tried them. But I would encourage anyone, especially people kind of stalled or plateaued in their recovery, to give them a try. They are working foot muscles that nothing else I've tried has gotten at.
Best of luck to you!
Nancy S.

Nancy N on 9/13/00 at 16:34 (028117)

Nancy--

Thanks SO much for your great details. I've noticed that sometimes my foot gets very stiff after I've been off it for a while (I especially notice it after driving), so I am really hoping that it will help with that, as well as the pain, of course!

I noticed on the website that they offer to make a set specifically for your feet if you send an outline of your foot. Did you do this? If not, do you think you're fine with the 'regular' sizes, or would I be better off to send the drawing?

Good point about the set of two--I never thought of using it on the left foot because of all the compensation.

Anybody else try these yet? What do you think?

Nancy

Nancy S. on 9/13/00 at 16:57 (028128)

Nancy N, aren't you kind to refer to my post as containing 'great details' instead of saying 'Boy, do you run off at the mouth' which is what I was thinking of myself!
I do know what you mean about stiffness -- I've had plenty of it, and for a long time. The Acu-Flex is beginning to make a dent in that, finally.
No, I forgot to send the foot drawing! I mean I forgot that was an option. The regular size is working fine for me (I wear 8 1/2 shoe). But if you can get custom-made ones, and since you've remembered that, I'd say Why not? The Acu-Flex is a new product. I too would be interested to know if any one else has tried them.
Nancy

Nancy N on 9/14/00 at 08:14 (028195)

Nancy, you do not run off at the mouth--at least compared to a lot of people I've tried to get information from (ever feel like you're trying to get blood from a turnip with these people?). It's a nice change when someone gives you a complete answer!

I tried to draw around my foot last night, which was nearly impossible (especially since I don't have anyone to help). It seems to be the easiest way to do that would be to put your foot on a photocopier and just take a picture--but I can't imagine that going over real well at work. So I think I will just get the regular ones and not worry about the custom size. I have big feet at a size 10, so I assume I should still be OK, since the website says that's also good for men's sizes.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll let everyone know how it goes, and I hope to get them soon!!!

Nancy S. on 9/13/00 at 16:18 (028114)

Hi Nancy N,
Let's see, I received my Acu-Flex 6 days after sending my check. If you fill out the form on their web site, they get the package all ready and send it as soon as your check arrives.
The first difference I noticed was only 4 days after starting to use them, which no doubt is one reason I'm so enthusiastic! My worse foot suddenly stopped shaking when I was doing the only actual strengthening exercise I'd been able to manage at all (pointing my feet, contracting the calves) -- and until I began using the Acu-Flex, it had shaken uncontrollably for weeks every time I did that exercise. At PT today, my therapist attributed the disappearance of that shaking to the stretching exercises I've been doing with the Acu-Flex, and said 'Your foot is definitely getting stronger!' She had me make up a card for her office with a description of the Acu-Flex and the web site address -- she wants her other PF and tendonitis patients to use them. (I'd already brought them and the manual in for her to look at last week.)
I've been using them quite religiously for a week and a half now -- which is unusual for me! And I do feel the strength that is building -- I mean I feel it in general, not just when I'm exercising. And my feet seem to be gaining flexibility -- I can feel it because I'm experiencing a bit less pain now and so am walking a little better. My husband commented on my improved walk a few nights ago, and a friend commented on it yesterday. I was thrilled!
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not going to be cured in a few weeks. I've had PF in one foot for 16 months and achilles and other tendonitis in both feet for 4-5 months. So I have a lot of work ahead of me still. But the Acu-Flex actually makes me believe I'm going to get there, and if I stay on track and committed I know I will.
I don't know what to tell you, about whether to get one or two. (Maybe Alan K can address this?) Maybe try one at first to be sure you like it? I think in the end I would have wanted two anyway, even if I were dealing only with PF and in one foot -- because at this point I really want both feet to be and stay healthy. (My non-PF foot was so overburdened from compensating that I think that's why other tendons in that foot ultimately got damaged too.) You can use one Acu-Flex and work each foot and leg separately, and if you're a good exerciser that might work fine for you. I just like doing both at once, and it also cuts the exercise time in half, which makes me more apt to use them as often as I like (3 times a day now -- once I'm better, and have been better for a good while, I'll probably do one good session a day for maintenance).
Ok Nancy, I hope this helps. I don't know if anyone else on the board has tried them. But I would encourage anyone, especially people kind of stalled or plateaued in their recovery, to give them a try. They are working foot muscles that nothing else I've tried has gotten at.
Best of luck to you!
Nancy S.

Nancy N on 9/13/00 at 16:34 (028117)

Nancy--

Thanks SO much for your great details. I've noticed that sometimes my foot gets very stiff after I've been off it for a while (I especially notice it after driving), so I am really hoping that it will help with that, as well as the pain, of course!

I noticed on the website that they offer to make a set specifically for your feet if you send an outline of your foot. Did you do this? If not, do you think you're fine with the 'regular' sizes, or would I be better off to send the drawing?

Good point about the set of two--I never thought of using it on the left foot because of all the compensation.

Anybody else try these yet? What do you think?

Nancy

Nancy S. on 9/13/00 at 16:57 (028128)

Nancy N, aren't you kind to refer to my post as containing 'great details' instead of saying 'Boy, do you run off at the mouth' which is what I was thinking of myself!
I do know what you mean about stiffness -- I've had plenty of it, and for a long time. The Acu-Flex is beginning to make a dent in that, finally.
No, I forgot to send the foot drawing! I mean I forgot that was an option. The regular size is working fine for me (I wear 8 1/2 shoe). But if you can get custom-made ones, and since you've remembered that, I'd say Why not? The Acu-Flex is a new product. I too would be interested to know if any one else has tried them.
Nancy

Nancy N on 9/14/00 at 08:14 (028195)

Nancy, you do not run off at the mouth--at least compared to a lot of people I've tried to get information from (ever feel like you're trying to get blood from a turnip with these people?). It's a nice change when someone gives you a complete answer!

I tried to draw around my foot last night, which was nearly impossible (especially since I don't have anyone to help). It seems to be the easiest way to do that would be to put your foot on a photocopier and just take a picture--but I can't imagine that going over real well at work. So I think I will just get the regular ones and not worry about the custom size. I have big feet at a size 10, so I assume I should still be OK, since the website says that's also good for men's sizes.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll let everyone know how it goes, and I hope to get them soon!!!