Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thinking of Getting cortisone shot, sorry its a little long, please respond

Posted by salina on 9/13/00 at 15:53 (028112)

Dr. Zuckerman,
I have had what I think to be PF for ten months. I say 'think' because the doctors have not run a single test. They just tell me to walk about two steps, turn around, then they bend my feet around and press on my arch and heel. That hurts like heck, so they say pf.
This new doctor did press along my ankle and stuff and ask questions, to see if I might have nerve problems or tts. But it doesn't appear that I do. So that's good.
I am now in orthotics, and my left foot is sore all over. But I think its from getting used to being stuck inside a shoe all day instead of birk sandals. And from having the orthotic arch support up against it all day. But the actual pf seems to be getting better in this foot. Each day I wear the orthotic my foot gets used to it more and more. But it has never been as bad as my right anyway.
The question is about my right foot.
It swells up each day, and if I even take a step barefoot (not that I do, but sometimes I just see what will happen), it instantly gets red and hurts. I usually check this while changing from regular shoes into shower shoes to take a shower. As soon as I put the foot in the shower shoes (waterproof birks) the redness goes away. Is it possible that just that lack of arch support for such a short time can cause that much pain and redness? I must say that the redness varies though, its not always as bad as sometimes.
And, do you think I should try to cortisone shot in my right foot?
Even with the orthotics, it is still in pain. And this foot is so tight it hurts to even place it in a nightsplint. I feel a painful pull, close to the middle and ball of foot, not towards insertion point of heel. I have been wearing them for almost two weeks, but the first hour is painful for this foot. This morning, I still feel the pain in this spot.
I go to the doctor next week, Tuesday. I want to get the shot. But I want to hear your opinion on it first.
As a doctor, what symptoms prompt you to give your patients a cortisone shot? And what symptoms prompt you to put them in a cast?
I am scared of getting a cast for the right foot, cause I will use my left one too much and make it worse too.
Sorry this is a long post.

Re: Thinking of Getting cortisone shot, sorry its a little long, please respond

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/13/00 at 21:09 (028161)

If there is one spot that is very painful with palpation . Then a steriod shot could help. This redness I am not sure of. I am sure that there has been x-ray's complete examination including a in depth evaluation of your circulation. You are having alot of pain for a short period of walking . PF does cause alot of pain when first getting up in the morning and is very typical symptom. I sure we had a system where I could see you foot and talk to you at the same time.
You have to trust you doctor and his evaluation and recommendation.
Pf is a very common foot problem seen in a podiatrist office . It is our common cold and most of the treatment are standard. There are different ways to skin the cat. Just make sure you feel very comfortable with your doctor and treatment.

1. Listen to your doctor
2. Trust you doctor.

3. Don't listen to the advice of friends and relatives unless they show you their podiatry degree.
4. Ask questions and understand the treatment and its goals.

Re: Thinking of Getting cortisone shot, sorry its a little long, please respond

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/13/00 at 21:09 (028161)

If there is one spot that is very painful with palpation . Then a steriod shot could help. This redness I am not sure of. I am sure that there has been x-ray's complete examination including a in depth evaluation of your circulation. You are having alot of pain for a short period of walking . PF does cause alot of pain when first getting up in the morning and is very typical symptom. I sure we had a system where I could see you foot and talk to you at the same time.
You have to trust you doctor and his evaluation and recommendation.
Pf is a very common foot problem seen in a podiatrist office . It is our common cold and most of the treatment are standard. There are different ways to skin the cat. Just make sure you feel very comfortable with your doctor and treatment.

1. Listen to your doctor
2. Trust you doctor.

3. Don't listen to the advice of friends and relatives unless they show you their podiatry degree.
4. Ask questions and understand the treatment and its goals.