Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

painful heel in youngsters who play soccer

Posted by Robin on 9/13/00 at 18:26 (028135)

My son plays soccer year round. He has been complaining since last summer that his left heel hurts. I have tried heel pads from the pharmacy. He didn't play for 2 months this summer and never complained. Now that he has started up again, his heel hurts again on the back. Any suggestions to help. He is in alot of pain after a game. It doesn't seem to bother him unless he is running.

Re: painful heel in youngsters who play soccer

Dr. Biehler on 9/13/00 at 18:54 (028138)

Sever's Disease is the name given to a certain painful problem on the back of the heel, What happens is that if the secondary ossification center has not yet fully closed, the act of running or sports activities or even a growth spurt that puts tension on the achilles, can effect this growth plate. The result is pain. This usually happens arouind ages 5 to 8 depending on the person. If this plate is already closed the pain can also be from straining the achillies insertion. Lastly, when it comes to soccer, one of the biggest causes of problems is using the incorrect type of cleat, number of cleats and lenghth or thickness of cleat for the surface you are playing on.

Re: painful heel in youngsters who play soccer / 16 yr old daughter has similar problem

Kathy on 9/13/00 at 21:28 (028172)

16 yr old daughter works at fast food restaurant and also has heel pain, she is so worried because she has seen me suffer for the last two yrs.

Re: painful heel in youngsters who play soccer / 16 yr old daughter has similar problem

Dr. Biehler on 9/14/00 at 06:36 (028193)

Heel pain in a young person working on hard floors. First thing to look at is the shoes. They need or should come with an insert that provides arch support and the soles should be well cushioned.

Re: How young is too young for pf?

T. Hurst on 9/14/00 at 16:46 (028221)

Just curious...is there an age below which pf is never/rarely diagnosed? Why? I ask because I seem to get these 'old people' problems earlier in life than most! Morton's neuroma surgery at 18 and pf/epf surgery at 28. The docs each time insisted I was too young. PS: I'm also a soccer player and have played for 20 years until pf...indoor soccer definitely contributed to my pf in combination with step aerobics...never had pf when I just played outdoor soccer on grass.

Dr. Biehler on 9/14/00 at 18:28 (028227)

I spent some time at West Point in their morning sports climic for cadets. Alot of these were teenagers suffering from plantar fasciitis both medial and lateral bands. It has a lot to do with the bone structure and the stress they are put under. After the age of 40 the ligaments and tendons start to break down on their own and strech out. This is one reason the foot gets longer and wider as we get older , I mean more mature.

Re: painful heel in youngsters who play soccer

Dr. Biehler on 9/13/00 at 18:54 (028138)

Sever's Disease is the name given to a certain painful problem on the back of the heel, What happens is that if the secondary ossification center has not yet fully closed, the act of running or sports activities or even a growth spurt that puts tension on the achilles, can effect this growth plate. The result is pain. This usually happens arouind ages 5 to 8 depending on the person. If this plate is already closed the pain can also be from straining the achillies insertion. Lastly, when it comes to soccer, one of the biggest causes of problems is using the incorrect type of cleat, number of cleats and lenghth or thickness of cleat for the surface you are playing on.

Kathy on 9/13/00 at 21:28 (028172)

16 yr old daughter works at fast food restaurant and also has heel pain, she is so worried because she has seen me suffer for the last two yrs.

Dr. Biehler on 9/14/00 at 06:36 (028193)

Heel pain in a young person working on hard floors. First thing to look at is the shoes. They need or should come with an insert that provides arch support and the soles should be well cushioned.

T. Hurst on 9/14/00 at 16:46 (028221)

Just curious...is there an age below which pf is never/rarely diagnosed? Why? I ask because I seem to get these 'old people' problems earlier in life than most! Morton's neuroma surgery at 18 and pf/epf surgery at 28. The docs each time insisted I was too young. PS: I'm also a soccer player and have played for 20 years until pf...indoor soccer definitely contributed to my pf in combination with step aerobics...never had pf when I just played outdoor soccer on grass.

Dr. Biehler on 9/14/00 at 18:28 (028227)

I spent some time at West Point in their morning sports climic for cadets. Alot of these were teenagers suffering from plantar fasciitis both medial and lateral bands. It has a lot to do with the bone structure and the stress they are put under. After the age of 40 the ligaments and tendons start to break down on their own and strech out. This is one reason the foot gets longer and wider as we get older , I mean more mature.