Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Personal Foot Trainers

Posted by David B on 9/13/00 at 20:10 (028153)

I have been suffering from plantar fasciitis and heelspurs for over two years and have several podiatrists and physical therapists. I have a few pairs of orthotics as well. None of these attempted remedies ever assisted in my recovery.

A few months ago I discovered this website. I purchased a pair of PFT's and a massage tool. I have followed the routing for over a month now and am completely healed (including my heelspur)!!! I found the instruction manual to be most informative and the exercises are easy and not time consuming to complete. I would recommend the PFT's to anyone who is suffering from foot pain!

David B

Re: Personal Foot Trainers - more feedback.

Kim B. on 9/13/00 at 23:50 (028183)

I have the PFT also, for me, it makes my arms (I have fibromyalgia) a little tired and with my recent severe neck flair up, I have had to back off, and use it minimally, thus I haven't beem able to give it a fair try yet. What little I was able to do before the neck problems indicated that there is a lot of merit to the product. It is probably NOT the culprit in my neck pain, cause at this point, even choppping lettuce can be aggrevating.

My recent 'physical therapist from hell' did help me figure out some of Mike W.'s instructions. Again, with 'fibro-fog' I (personally) was having trouble figuring out the object of the thing. Then again,I think she was just guessing at it based on the pictures 'cause Lord knows she didn't really read the book. (BTW, Mike, I emailed you about a instruction manual for her, which could have lead to a few orders. She was kind of impressed with your product. You failed to respond to my requests. Too late now, I don't see her anymore.)

As soon as my neck is better I will be back at the PFT. I am having some results with the Calf step Stretch, (it doesn't involve the use of my arms, which is my least favorite aspect of the PFT. I have upperbody weaknesses I guess, which is something for others to think abaout.

Also, I also got one of his 'T-Bar' massage tools. It is a handy and helpful little tool if you are in to massaging your own feet. It allows me to massage my feet some without making my arms and neck so tired.

Hope this helps someone decide if the PFT is right for them.

Regards, Kim B.

Beverly on 9/14/00 at 18:55 (028233)

That is great to hear about your improvement with the PFT. How bad was your PF before you started using it? How often did you use the PFT?

I am still just using the PFT in PT. As soon as I feel sure I have the hang of how little tension to use, I'll get brave and try it on my own again. I have not had any problems with it for the upper body, and I have a delicate neck. The biggest thing I had to get used to was not to press down too hard with my toes... not to put too much action into the exercise or pull too hard with the handle. If I have understood Mike's directions correctly, the PFT has to be used very gently... at least at first. It is possible I am being too gentle but I would rather work up to it than over do.

Beverly

Re: Stuff

Kim B. on 9/14/00 at 19:42 (028237)

Hi Beverely,

I use the PFT very gently. I manage to do it every other morning or so. I need to increase the frequency and duration in order to really strengthen, but for now, for me, this is a start.

I had PF since February of 1999. 1.5 years or so. When it was at it's worse, 9 months to a year into it, I was SO tender, I could do much of anything for my pain but ice, minimal gentle stretching, and rest. Even the strongest anti-inflammatories medications barely touched the arch and heel pain. Eventually, I was able to allow a trained massage therapist carefully massage the pain. She said it would help break up scar tissue, increase circulation, and promote healing. I think it helped alot for awhile and if I could afford it, I would be getting weekly foot massages.

Luckily at this point, my heel spur pain had deminshed greatly. If I were to poke around enough I could probably find an insertion point again, but, I just don't want to aggrevate the situation while I'm actually making Slow progress... Compared to where I was, anyway.

My arches still hurt a lot, especially if I overdo it in the slightest. I have good days and I have some terrible days. PF still controls my life. Planning, scheduling, social intereste, etc. The list could go on.

When I started showing signs of improvement, That's when for me it was safe to start trying different remedies. Like I said, at the worst point, it was all too inflammed to touch, and all I could do was wait it out and pray for a miracle.

This (PF) is a very tough 'row to hoe'. I 'feel' for anywone who gets this illness and even if/when I heal, the debilitating pain is forever etched in my mind. I would like to see more public and physican awareness and more provisions made for those diagnosed with it. This illness is taken much too lightly.

Regards, Kim B. (Queen of typos,) hopping off of her soapbox.

Barbara S. on 9/14/00 at 21:24 (028245)

It is interesting to hear your PF story - at first when I was getting to be very acute and before I found this board I really thought I had some freakish ailment and didn't know where to turn. My first podiatrist failed me totally, not even discussing the basics of pf control (not even stretching)! I was amazed at the very idea of a total fasciotomy, I mean, how often does any other fairly useful body part go wrong and the solution is to just cut it off? I think that my first podiatrist was a head case. Should I tell him to cut his head off? Tempting.

I loved your pain scale. You have been there and back (and there and back again). B.

Kim B. on 9/13/00 at 23:50 (028183)

I have the PFT also, for me, it makes my arms (I have fibromyalgia) a little tired and with my recent severe neck flair up, I have had to back off, and use it minimally, thus I haven't beem able to give it a fair try yet. What little I was able to do before the neck problems indicated that there is a lot of merit to the product. It is probably NOT the culprit in my neck pain, cause at this point, even choppping lettuce can be aggrevating.

My recent 'physical therapist from hell' did help me figure out some of Mike W.'s instructions. Again, with 'fibro-fog' I (personally) was having trouble figuring out the object of the thing. Then again,I think she was just guessing at it based on the pictures 'cause Lord knows she didn't really read the book. (BTW, Mike, I emailed you about a instruction manual for her, which could have lead to a few orders. She was kind of impressed with your product. You failed to respond to my requests. Too late now, I don't see her anymore.)

As soon as my neck is better I will be back at the PFT. I am having some results with the Calf step Stretch, (it doesn't involve the use of my arms, which is my least favorite aspect of the PFT. I have upperbody weaknesses I guess, which is something for others to think abaout.

Also, I also got one of his 'T-Bar' massage tools. It is a handy and helpful little tool if you are in to massaging your own feet. It allows me to massage my feet some without making my arms and neck so tired.

Hope this helps someone decide if the PFT is right for them.

Regards, Kim B.

Beverly on 9/14/00 at 18:55 (028233)

That is great to hear about your improvement with the PFT. How bad was your PF before you started using it? How often did you use the PFT?

I am still just using the PFT in PT. As soon as I feel sure I have the hang of how little tension to use, I'll get brave and try it on my own again. I have not had any problems with it for the upper body, and I have a delicate neck. The biggest thing I had to get used to was not to press down too hard with my toes... not to put too much action into the exercise or pull too hard with the handle. If I have understood Mike's directions correctly, the PFT has to be used very gently... at least at first. It is possible I am being too gentle but I would rather work up to it than over do.

Beverly

Kim B. on 9/14/00 at 19:42 (028237)

Hi Beverely,

I use the PFT very gently. I manage to do it every other morning or so. I need to increase the frequency and duration in order to really strengthen, but for now, for me, this is a start.

I had PF since February of 1999. 1.5 years or so. When it was at it's worse, 9 months to a year into it, I was SO tender, I could do much of anything for my pain but ice, minimal gentle stretching, and rest. Even the strongest anti-inflammatories medications barely touched the arch and heel pain. Eventually, I was able to allow a trained massage therapist carefully massage the pain. She said it would help break up scar tissue, increase circulation, and promote healing. I think it helped alot for awhile and if I could afford it, I would be getting weekly foot massages.

Luckily at this point, my heel spur pain had deminshed greatly. If I were to poke around enough I could probably find an insertion point again, but, I just don't want to aggrevate the situation while I'm actually making Slow progress... Compared to where I was, anyway.

My arches still hurt a lot, especially if I overdo it in the slightest. I have good days and I have some terrible days. PF still controls my life. Planning, scheduling, social intereste, etc. The list could go on.

When I started showing signs of improvement, That's when for me it was safe to start trying different remedies. Like I said, at the worst point, it was all too inflammed to touch, and all I could do was wait it out and pray for a miracle.

This (PF) is a very tough 'row to hoe'. I 'feel' for anywone who gets this illness and even if/when I heal, the debilitating pain is forever etched in my mind. I would like to see more public and physican awareness and more provisions made for those diagnosed with it. This illness is taken much too lightly.

Regards, Kim B. (Queen of typos,) hopping off of her soapbox.

Barbara S. on 9/14/00 at 21:24 (028245)

It is interesting to hear your PF story - at first when I was getting to be very acute and before I found this board I really thought I had some freakish ailment and didn't know where to turn. My first podiatrist failed me totally, not even discussing the basics of pf control (not even stretching)! I was amazed at the very idea of a total fasciotomy, I mean, how often does any other fairly useful body part go wrong and the solution is to just cut it off? I think that my first podiatrist was a head case. Should I tell him to cut his head off? Tempting.

I loved your pain scale. You have been there and back (and there and back again). B.