Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Leg discrepancy

Posted by Freddie N. on 9/14/00 at 08:44 (028199)

I have a leg discrepancy of 11 mm based upon a leg bone xray. The shorter leg is my left one which is also flatter and has a more pronounced morton structure. I am wondering if adding an extra layer to the bottom of my left shoe would help the whole situation.

I think it might distribute weight more equally between my legs and help the left foot distribute more evenly over its surface. I think it might even help the 1st metatarsal bear a little more weight.

Does this sound correct? Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions.

Re: Leg discrepancy

Dr. Biehler on 9/14/00 at 13:27 (028212)

Where on the x-ray ' what bone' is shorter? Usually the short leg has a suppinated arch to make up for the difference. When correcting for a limb lenght, you usually start with 1/2 of the discrepency in a heel lift. In real life 11mm is not that big of a difference. The body does compensate in many ways, so the correct way to proceed in to put different size magazines under the short leg and see which thickness feel the best. Some people feel like they are always falling over untill the difference is corrected. Remember the body has already made changes and is used to these changes.You can not correct over night.

Freddie N. on 9/15/00 at 08:52 (028278)

the X-ray showed a 4mm discrepancy in lower limbs and 7mm discrepancy in upper limb (left leg), additionally the left foot flattened out a lot more because I always stood with my right leg bent and weight shifted to the left. I think I compensated by walking a little more on the left foot edge.Despite this, I was very active and danced 7 days a week. I could work standing in the same area for many hours. It only gave me problems after I received bad footcare.(1995-1999 bad shoes w/buildup from pedorthist and orthotics with cutout under 1st met. from a new DPM) I believe my gait is very delicate and pain throws it off resulting in this ongoing pain cycle. In my tests I did feel better if I put a magazine under my left foot. But how do you test it walking? I use an over the counter support, Polysorbitane Ultra graphite arch (ie. Its very soft but yet has some firm support)
so I already have something in the shoe.

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 20:25 (028335)

You put a solid heel lift in your shoe the same thickness as the magazine that made you feel comfortable. You should be able to buy a heel lift in a good drug store. They are sometimes made of cork but some come where you can peel off layers untill you get the correct height. Then try it. If it makes you feel better then keep using it. If you start to develope aches in other parts of your body try making the lift a little thinner. Remember rule of thumb is adjust 1/2 the discrepency but keep in mind the body has already made compensating adjustments that do not just come undone.

Dr. Biehler on 9/14/00 at 13:27 (028212)

Where on the x-ray ' what bone' is shorter? Usually the short leg has a suppinated arch to make up for the difference. When correcting for a limb lenght, you usually start with 1/2 of the discrepency in a heel lift. In real life 11mm is not that big of a difference. The body does compensate in many ways, so the correct way to proceed in to put different size magazines under the short leg and see which thickness feel the best. Some people feel like they are always falling over untill the difference is corrected. Remember the body has already made changes and is used to these changes.You can not correct over night.

Freddie N. on 9/15/00 at 08:52 (028278)

the X-ray showed a 4mm discrepancy in lower limbs and 7mm discrepancy in upper limb (left leg), additionally the left foot flattened out a lot more because I always stood with my right leg bent and weight shifted to the left. I think I compensated by walking a little more on the left foot edge.Despite this, I was very active and danced 7 days a week. I could work standing in the same area for many hours. It only gave me problems after I received bad footcare.(1995-1999 bad shoes w/buildup from pedorthist and orthotics with cutout under 1st met. from a new DPM) I believe my gait is very delicate and pain throws it off resulting in this ongoing pain cycle. In my tests I did feel better if I put a magazine under my left foot. But how do you test it walking? I use an over the counter support, Polysorbitane Ultra graphite arch (ie. Its very soft but yet has some firm support)
so I already have something in the shoe.

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 20:25 (028335)

You put a solid heel lift in your shoe the same thickness as the magazine that made you feel comfortable. You should be able to buy a heel lift in a good drug store. They are sometimes made of cork but some come where you can peel off layers untill you get the correct height. Then try it. If it makes you feel better then keep using it. If you start to develope aches in other parts of your body try making the lift a little thinner. Remember rule of thumb is adjust 1/2 the discrepency but keep in mind the body has already made compensating adjustments that do not just come undone.