Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nancy said I could................(sort of)

Posted by JudyS on 9/14/00 at 18:06 (028225)

Well, today was a record-setting day. I had to go over to the university to take care of some things (work there) which meant walking. I actually checked my watch to see how long it would take to get to the part of campus I needed to get to, and how long it would take to start hurting. Took me 10 minutes to get there. No pain of any kind - excepting the 95 degree heat. So I wandered over to my office (I work there on-call) and chatted with my buds for over 1/2 hour. Walked the 10 minutes back to my car. No pain. So..'heck', I thought, 'if Nancy can do it, I can do it.' and I went on to run at least one more errand. That was at the mall. No pain. So..'heck', I thought, 'if Nancy can do it, I can do it.' and I went on to run 2 more errands. My tootsies didn't start hurting for over 3 hours and my heels never did hurt! That's a major-league, 2-year record! Hurray! Martha Stewart has NOTHING on this 'good thing'!

Re: Please give me hope!

Barbara TX (formerly Barbara S.) on 9/14/00 at 18:43 (028230)

You have GOT to be beside yourself with happiness! Congratulations to you... Were you ever 'acute,' that is, unable to even stand up without pain? I'd like to hear a story about someone who was REALLY bad and recovered. I am about a year into this thing and (please God) coming out of the most acute stage - just starting to walk around the house again. Again - that's wonderful, Judy! B.

Beverly on 9/14/00 at 18:46 (028231)

Judy,

That is wonderful to hear. It is so encouraging for those of us newer to PF. I don't feel new since I have had this for six months, but in
terms of chronic PF, I guess I'm still relatively new.

Could you refresh us? How long have you had PF? Did you get better gradually or did you have a sudden/major turn-around? Seems like it hasn't been that long ago when you were still in pain. So you certainly give me hope.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Re: Nancy said I could................(sort of)

Laurie R on 9/14/00 at 20:04 (028241)

Hi Judy,
I am so happy for you,this is what I am talking about. You really have to try to do something then you know if you can or not. I don't believe in just sitting and waiting. I am truly happy for you. My very best ,I hope this continues for you.Laurie R

Nancy S. on 9/14/00 at 22:27 (028253)

95 degree heat! That's a lot of pain. My brain dies over about 83 degrees. That's why I keep moving north. We've only had a few of those days in Maine this summer -- maybe you all could tell when those were from any brain-dead posts . . .
So now, Judy, you're trying to make me famous for FOUR errands! Sad, isn't it? But not really -- that felt like an accomplished day in a hard year+. Welcome to the club, Judy, I'm glad you had a great day. I'm planning one for tomorrow -- but will listen to my feet, natch, and if not tomorrow, then the next day will do just fine.
Nancy

JudyS on 9/14/00 at 22:31 (028254)

Barbara, I was hoping you would do 'TexBarb'! In fact, Beverly, you could do 'TexBev'! Uh oh - I'm on a roll again....

Barbara, I was indeed acute. Crawling, crying, etc. And all I did was make it worse by ignoring consistent treatment. I kept thinking it'd go away on its own like any other 'athletic' ache I'd ever had.
I tried the occasional PT, cast, heavy ibuprofen, nite splint - but none of it consistently. I'm quite the brat!
I made things much worse by isolating myself - I was just SO afraid to walk anywhere. My whole life went to pot in my LaZBoy! It really did. Nothing got done, I hurt more and I gained 15 pounds. I finally figured out that I was my own worst enemy. By sitting I was only getting worse AND I was letting the PF control me. Last spring I read this board day and nite for several weeks and it seemed the most frequent success stories were those of folks who'd stuck with traditional treatments. So I made a commitment to doing that. I also began to understand that I NEEDED to move - my feet were much more painful if I sat too much. The heel pain started to diminish within several weeks. The morning pain also as I was also committed to morning warm-ups. I developed a new tendonitis as a result of the cast, nite-splint, orthotics and walking funny. I was just plain holding my feet in a horrible, rigid manner so I went back to the Pod early in the summer. He sent me to a PT who specializes in deep-tissue treatment. He does deep massage and I do strengtheners there 3x a week. It's been about 5 weeks. I also do massage, stretching and ice at home 3x a day. He says he's getting deeper each week but oh does it hurt! 2 years of PF has created much scaring. I'm taking ibuprofen 400 3x a day plus Robin's recommended bromelain 3x day. The PT also introduced me to contrast baths which I really like. I still haven't ruled out ESWT (if I'm eligible) or surgery but, with this progress (really, I couldn't stand or walk for one minute a year ago nor could I put on a pair of shoes), I'm willing to stick with it at least another 6 months, if not more. Boy do I hope that I'm not posting about another mysterious setback tomorrow!

Barbara TX (formerly Barbara S.) on 9/14/00 at 18:43 (028230)

You have GOT to be beside yourself with happiness! Congratulations to you... Were you ever 'acute,' that is, unable to even stand up without pain? I'd like to hear a story about someone who was REALLY bad and recovered. I am about a year into this thing and (please God) coming out of the most acute stage - just starting to walk around the house again. Again - that's wonderful, Judy! B.

Beverly on 9/14/00 at 18:46 (028231)

Judy,

That is wonderful to hear. It is so encouraging for those of us newer to PF. I don't feel new since I have had this for six months, but in
terms of chronic PF, I guess I'm still relatively new.

Could you refresh us? How long have you had PF? Did you get better gradually or did you have a sudden/major turn-around? Seems like it hasn't been that long ago when you were still in pain. So you certainly give me hope.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Laurie R on 9/14/00 at 20:04 (028241)

Hi Judy,
I am so happy for you,this is what I am talking about. You really have to try to do something then you know if you can or not. I don't believe in just sitting and waiting. I am truly happy for you. My very best ,I hope this continues for you.Laurie R

Nancy S. on 9/14/00 at 22:27 (028253)

95 degree heat! That's a lot of pain. My brain dies over about 83 degrees. That's why I keep moving north. We've only had a few of those days in Maine this summer -- maybe you all could tell when those were from any brain-dead posts . . .
So now, Judy, you're trying to make me famous for FOUR errands! Sad, isn't it? But not really -- that felt like an accomplished day in a hard year+. Welcome to the club, Judy, I'm glad you had a great day. I'm planning one for tomorrow -- but will listen to my feet, natch, and if not tomorrow, then the next day will do just fine.
Nancy

JudyS on 9/14/00 at 22:31 (028254)

Barbara, I was hoping you would do 'TexBarb'! In fact, Beverly, you could do 'TexBev'! Uh oh - I'm on a roll again....

Barbara, I was indeed acute. Crawling, crying, etc. And all I did was make it worse by ignoring consistent treatment. I kept thinking it'd go away on its own like any other 'athletic' ache I'd ever had.
I tried the occasional PT, cast, heavy ibuprofen, nite splint - but none of it consistently. I'm quite the brat!
I made things much worse by isolating myself - I was just SO afraid to walk anywhere. My whole life went to pot in my LaZBoy! It really did. Nothing got done, I hurt more and I gained 15 pounds. I finally figured out that I was my own worst enemy. By sitting I was only getting worse AND I was letting the PF control me. Last spring I read this board day and nite for several weeks and it seemed the most frequent success stories were those of folks who'd stuck with traditional treatments. So I made a commitment to doing that. I also began to understand that I NEEDED to move - my feet were much more painful if I sat too much. The heel pain started to diminish within several weeks. The morning pain also as I was also committed to morning warm-ups. I developed a new tendonitis as a result of the cast, nite-splint, orthotics and walking funny. I was just plain holding my feet in a horrible, rigid manner so I went back to the Pod early in the summer. He sent me to a PT who specializes in deep-tissue treatment. He does deep massage and I do strengtheners there 3x a week. It's been about 5 weeks. I also do massage, stretching and ice at home 3x a day. He says he's getting deeper each week but oh does it hurt! 2 years of PF has created much scaring. I'm taking ibuprofen 400 3x a day plus Robin's recommended bromelain 3x day. The PT also introduced me to contrast baths which I really like. I still haven't ruled out ESWT (if I'm eligible) or surgery but, with this progress (really, I couldn't stand or walk for one minute a year ago nor could I put on a pair of shoes), I'm willing to stick with it at least another 6 months, if not more. Boy do I hope that I'm not posting about another mysterious setback tomorrow!