Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Saw the Doc today ...

Posted by Joopie on 9/14/00 at 19:52 (028239)

Well, the jerk wasn't so jerky this time. I was really nervous about the visit. The ankle was REALLY swollen, and he didn't discount my feelings. He said the cast should have helped, and was surprised it hadn't. After some painful manipulation, he said it looked like achilles tendonitis and peroneal tendonitis. Didn't say anything about the tibial tendonitis that he diagnosed last time. He ordered PT for me which I will do when I return from my vacation. He wants this to improve my strength, range of motion, gait, full weight bearing and decrease the pain and spasm as well as the swelling and postural deviations. I asked about a brace to use while on vacation just to be safe. He refused, saying it needs to get stronger not be coddled. He did prescribe Celebrex for a few weeks (that stuff's expensive!).

I am still taking my cane on vacation. I am not steady enough yet, and I won't be on flat surfaces all the time.

One question he did not address is the pain across the left side of my foot - that is the most bothersome at night. I also get severe cramping in my foot at night, as I mentioned in an earlier post. Any ideas on what it could be and how I might deal with it?

It is now Thursday evening (PST) and I will be leaving tomorrow about 10:00 am. If you're able to touch base here with me before I go I would be SO grateful. I won't have access to a computer while away.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.

Re: Saw the Doc today ...

Dr. Biehler on 9/14/00 at 20:34 (028243)

You have a lot of symptoms and they each need to be taken care of. If you have edema and your doctor doesn't want you in brace, you should at least use a small ace bandage for support and compression. Your achillea tendon sounds like it is firing to early causing a tendonitiis and your peronials are then trying to get your forefoot to the ground to early causing anothe tendonitis. All this is straining the muscles and this could be causing the cramping at night. It does sound like you also have some kind of neuropraxia to your foot. If it is the same foot that was casted, it is possible that a compression of the common peronial nerve took place high up on the fibula. Hopefully this will repare itself. For your vacation: use the ace bandage, shorten your stride, try not to over do it and remember the celebrex can cover up the pain so you can injure yourself with out realizing it. Most importantly, try to enjoy your self inspite of everything!

Re: Saw the Doc today ...

Dr. Biehler on 9/14/00 at 20:34 (028243)

You have a lot of symptoms and they each need to be taken care of. If you have edema and your doctor doesn't want you in brace, you should at least use a small ace bandage for support and compression. Your achillea tendon sounds like it is firing to early causing a tendonitiis and your peronials are then trying to get your forefoot to the ground to early causing anothe tendonitis. All this is straining the muscles and this could be causing the cramping at night. It does sound like you also have some kind of neuropraxia to your foot. If it is the same foot that was casted, it is possible that a compression of the common peronial nerve took place high up on the fibula. Hopefully this will repare itself. For your vacation: use the ace bandage, shorten your stride, try not to over do it and remember the celebrex can cover up the pain so you can injure yourself with out realizing it. Most importantly, try to enjoy your self inspite of everything!