Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PT Visit

Posted by Barbara on 9/14/00 at 21:36 (028248)

I haven't posted in a while because everything has been status quo (a bad status quo). Actually things have gotten worse in the past few weeks. My right arch has been acting up. I popped my left plantaris tendon for the second time from stretching. My heels have become more sore. Yadda, yadda, yadda.......

Well, I went to my Ortho and asked for a PT script. Today was my first visit. The PT feels that through a proper stretching routine, I can overcome this. Everything is tight, my hamstrings, calves, knees, thighs, ankles. He wants me to do several types of stretches 3 times a day to try to loosen up my joints and muscles. He did a very thorough workup on me, testing my range of motion (or lack thereof) and watched my gait very carefully. He said that he doesn't think I need any ultrasound because (although I have pain) I don't really have any inflammation. Next Monday is my next visit, and I'll ask him about message. I cannot tolerate deep message, but I don't think I have any scar tissue anyway, because in the 6-7 months I've had PF, I've only had that 'ripping/walking on tacks' feeling 4 times.

Hopefully all this stuff will give me some improvement.

Re: PT Visit

Nancy S. on 9/14/00 at 22:47 (028257)

Hi Barbara, I'm sorry to hear you're back and feeling just 'bad' status quo. But I'm also glad you're getting physical therapy. I've been finding it helpful (after longtime PF, which then graduated to three kinds of tendonitis -- I'll just say yadda yadda yadda here too, because I think board readers must be darned sick of hearing my list of tendonitises!).
I want to encourage you in the stretching. I've never been a natural stretcher at all, and left to myself to try it I only seemed to flounder around and make things, if anything, worse. A good PT can be very helpful with this. I was given a quite conservative stretching routine to do at home, to which I have now added use of the Acu-Flex, which is also helping.
I would just like to say, be sure to listen to your feet very carefully as you start out on this stretching routine, and let your therapist know if it bothers you at all. If it does, you need to modify it and ease into it more slowly. I had setback after setback from trying to do it too inconsistently, with sudden surges of verve and aggression, 'I'm going to get rid of this thing TODAY!' I hope the stretching and PT go well for you -- keep us posted, ok?
Nancy
p.s. Oh, if you do keep us posted, which I hope you will, you may have noticed that there is now a groundswell of Barbaras on board. Two of them just modified their names today so we can keep them straight. You might want to do this too -- 'Barbara' with an initial or state abbreviation or something after it. You're in good company -- the Barbara Club sounds worth joining to me, though I don't qualify.

JudyS on 9/14/00 at 22:56 (028258)

Another wonderful Barbara? I'm feeling left out. I think I'll change my handle to SoCalBarbie.....
And Nancy, you can be MaineSqueezeBarb......

Barbara - in all seriousness, welcome back. Except that it's a shame you have to come back still in pain. You said you were going to ask about massage. I advise it because, well, it works for me and it's not just for scar tissue. It would really help the muscles you mentioned begin to loosen up.

Nancy S. on 9/14/00 at 23:08 (028260)

Oh no, no way, I can't be MaineSqueezeBarb. Bad main squeeze memories. Some boyfriend called me his main squeeze, and a lot of other stuff, and I had to take a five-year hiatus from so-called intimate relationships! Worth it, though -- after the rest (sorry, Rock!) I met the Real Thing.
Nancy

JudyS on 9/14/00 at 23:11 (028262)

How about 'StaysUpTooLateBarb'?

Barb-NY on 9/15/00 at 13:06 (028298)

Well it official, that's my new handle.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and great advice. PT is my last try for a 'normal' life again. While I don't expect to feel 100% ever again, I will definately take 50%.

I tried a new type of over-the-counter insert, a full length gel type. I felt that my feet needed something a little softer, especially around the arches. Well, it did feel better the first day, but by the fourth day it really started to feel terrible. I'm now back to the original New Balance inserts that came with the shoes.

Beverly on 9/15/00 at 18:34 (028320)

Barbara,

I have come to really believe in PT, and this is coming from someone who tried rest, rest, and more rest without it helping... along with orthodics, assorted inserts, and a host of 'healthy' shoes.

I am still doing all of those things, but now that I am just past two months of PT, I am only now beginning to see a little bit of improvement, but enough that this is giving me real hope. I encourage you in your PT and in making sure you 'click' with your therapist. Some PT's are more sensitive to PF than others. I shopped around before I found mine.
Here is what I get: ultrasound, massage (We had to work up to deep), and stretching instructions. My PT has continuously adjusted my stretching routine. When it is too much, she modifies it. I could have never undertaken stretching as well on my own. Having her to help me gauge how much to stretch has been instrumental in my improvement.
I still have a long way to go, but PT has given me hope.
I also got a topical cortizone solution with an electric gadget called 'ionpheresis.' After awhile, I started having a reaction to it, and we had to stop it, but I also think it was helpful.
Good luck,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 9/14/00 at 22:47 (028257)

Hi Barbara, I'm sorry to hear you're back and feeling just 'bad' status quo. But I'm also glad you're getting physical therapy. I've been finding it helpful (after longtime PF, which then graduated to three kinds of tendonitis -- I'll just say yadda yadda yadda here too, because I think board readers must be darned sick of hearing my list of tendonitises!).
I want to encourage you in the stretching. I've never been a natural stretcher at all, and left to myself to try it I only seemed to flounder around and make things, if anything, worse. A good PT can be very helpful with this. I was given a quite conservative stretching routine to do at home, to which I have now added use of the Acu-Flex, which is also helping.
I would just like to say, be sure to listen to your feet very carefully as you start out on this stretching routine, and let your therapist know if it bothers you at all. If it does, you need to modify it and ease into it more slowly. I had setback after setback from trying to do it too inconsistently, with sudden surges of verve and aggression, 'I'm going to get rid of this thing TODAY!' I hope the stretching and PT go well for you -- keep us posted, ok?
Nancy
p.s. Oh, if you do keep us posted, which I hope you will, you may have noticed that there is now a groundswell of Barbaras on board. Two of them just modified their names today so we can keep them straight. You might want to do this too -- 'Barbara' with an initial or state abbreviation or something after it. You're in good company -- the Barbara Club sounds worth joining to me, though I don't qualify.

JudyS on 9/14/00 at 22:56 (028258)

Another wonderful Barbara? I'm feeling left out. I think I'll change my handle to SoCalBarbie.....
And Nancy, you can be MaineSqueezeBarb......

Barbara - in all seriousness, welcome back. Except that it's a shame you have to come back still in pain. You said you were going to ask about massage. I advise it because, well, it works for me and it's not just for scar tissue. It would really help the muscles you mentioned begin to loosen up.

Nancy S. on 9/14/00 at 23:08 (028260)

Oh no, no way, I can't be MaineSqueezeBarb. Bad main squeeze memories. Some boyfriend called me his main squeeze, and a lot of other stuff, and I had to take a five-year hiatus from so-called intimate relationships! Worth it, though -- after the rest (sorry, Rock!) I met the Real Thing.
Nancy

JudyS on 9/14/00 at 23:11 (028262)

How about 'StaysUpTooLateBarb'?

Barb-NY on 9/15/00 at 13:06 (028298)

Well it official, that's my new handle.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and great advice. PT is my last try for a 'normal' life again. While I don't expect to feel 100% ever again, I will definately take 50%.

I tried a new type of over-the-counter insert, a full length gel type. I felt that my feet needed something a little softer, especially around the arches. Well, it did feel better the first day, but by the fourth day it really started to feel terrible. I'm now back to the original New Balance inserts that came with the shoes.

Beverly on 9/15/00 at 18:34 (028320)

Barbara,

I have come to really believe in PT, and this is coming from someone who tried rest, rest, and more rest without it helping... along with orthodics, assorted inserts, and a host of 'healthy' shoes.

I am still doing all of those things, but now that I am just past two months of PT, I am only now beginning to see a little bit of improvement, but enough that this is giving me real hope. I encourage you in your PT and in making sure you 'click' with your therapist. Some PT's are more sensitive to PF than others. I shopped around before I found mine.
Here is what I get: ultrasound, massage (We had to work up to deep), and stretching instructions. My PT has continuously adjusted my stretching routine. When it is too much, she modifies it. I could have never undertaken stretching as well on my own. Having her to help me gauge how much to stretch has been instrumental in my improvement.
I still have a long way to go, but PT has given me hope.
I also got a topical cortizone solution with an electric gadget called 'ionpheresis.' After awhile, I started having a reaction to it, and we had to stop it, but I also think it was helpful.
Good luck,
Beverly