Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

injection...so far not even a temporary relief

Posted by SandyS on 9/14/00 at 22:27 (028252)

I got a cortizone injection monday and here it is Thursday night and I am still in pain. Did it just not work or should I give it longer before I call the Dr.?

I have read all the stuff about the injection only being a temporary fix but I was sort of excited to get any fix, even be it temporary. My Mom's last injection has lasted her 3 years now. She told me of this terrible pain of the injection itself but that the next morning it was all better. Well the injection itself wasn't bad at all...slow process but not really painful. The Dr. put it in the side of my heel not directly in the bottom like Mom had.

To those of you who have had an injection...did it continue to hurt this long from the injection or is it still the same old heel pain? I keep trying to tell myself that it is a different sort of pain but I don't know.

Re: injection...so far not even a temporary relief

JudyS on 9/14/00 at 23:10 (028261)

Sandy, I have had those injections. Like your Mom, it was the worst pain I've ever had including root canals and childbirth. But like you, my foot seemed to remain sore from the shot itself and I couldn't tell if it was helping the PF. I never had an absence of pain. Now, some people can get that shot and never have PF pain again because the cortizone was effective in disarming the inflammation. Your doc may or may not offer to give you a shot again but many folks here will advise you to research it first because there can be some problems associated with it. Good luck!

Dale on 9/15/00 at 17:20 (028314)

i had injections and they were almost as painful as the spurs-after over a year of conservative treatment, i had bone spur removal on my rt. heel-it was a lONG and painful recovery, it left me with tingling & numbness in my heel. but it relieved the pain, so much that after another year of conservative treatment on my left foot, i am now recovering from the same surgery done a week ago. the injections did nothing for me. as far as i am concerned, the length and pain of surgery are worth it, the outcome is... i can walk again without pain.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 21:38 (028347)

It can still hurt alot up to a week but this is rare. I always say to patient one of three things is going to happen.

1. The next day all the pain is gone and think i am g-d
2. It is going to hurt like !!@@##$ few a week days and then get better.

3. Nothing happens. The pain is still there.

4. Once in awhile the pain (alot ) usually more then what you had
will last for a week.

It is important that in addition to getting the shot that you foot is strapped ( taped) and or placed in a temporary cast. If this isn't done the chances of relief are greatly reduced.

chris on 9/16/00 at 21:07 (028427)

I've had the injections twice in my left heel over the past two years. I wore a fiberglass walking cast both times for 4 weeks each. It did help it for sometime but my pain did come back. I'm 27 years old and mine's only getting worse. Good luck!

JudyS on 9/14/00 at 23:10 (028261)

Sandy, I have had those injections. Like your Mom, it was the worst pain I've ever had including root canals and childbirth. But like you, my foot seemed to remain sore from the shot itself and I couldn't tell if it was helping the PF. I never had an absence of pain. Now, some people can get that shot and never have PF pain again because the cortizone was effective in disarming the inflammation. Your doc may or may not offer to give you a shot again but many folks here will advise you to research it first because there can be some problems associated with it. Good luck!

Dale on 9/15/00 at 17:20 (028314)

i had injections and they were almost as painful as the spurs-after over a year of conservative treatment, i had bone spur removal on my rt. heel-it was a lONG and painful recovery, it left me with tingling & numbness in my heel. but it relieved the pain, so much that after another year of conservative treatment on my left foot, i am now recovering from the same surgery done a week ago. the injections did nothing for me. as far as i am concerned, the length and pain of surgery are worth it, the outcome is... i can walk again without pain.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 21:38 (028347)

It can still hurt alot up to a week but this is rare. I always say to patient one of three things is going to happen.

1. The next day all the pain is gone and think i am g-d
2. It is going to hurt like !!@@##$ few a week days and then get better.

3. Nothing happens. The pain is still there.

4. Once in awhile the pain (alot ) usually more then what you had
will last for a week.

It is important that in addition to getting the shot that you foot is strapped ( taped) and or placed in a temporary cast. If this isn't done the chances of relief are greatly reduced.

chris on 9/16/00 at 21:07 (028427)

I've had the injections twice in my left heel over the past two years. I wore a fiberglass walking cast both times for 4 weeks each. It did help it for sometime but my pain did come back. I'm 27 years old and mine's only getting worse. Good luck!