Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about post op surg on ruptured achilles tendon

Posted by Debra G on 9/14/00 at 23:30 (028263)

Hi..

Just had my surg to remove what my dr called the BIGGEST bone spur he has ever seen on a woman..(had the surg wed sept 6) Dr said the roughest days would be 2nd and 3rd..was def not kidding either, ha ha) anyways..i managed with help of pain pills and keeping foot constantly elevated..However, this eve i was experiencing some weird feeling sharp (hard to describe pains) almost like someone running pins up from side of ankle to my last little toe..and then about an hour later felt it on other side more on top of foot leading to big toe..very very uncomfortable feeling..what would be your suggestion that this pain could be (i will be calling dr's office tomorrow to check on it, too) Also, wanted to ask if heating pad is ok to place under knee..it seems to provide great relief for an overall aching leg. I was off the pain pills..as dr said monday he wanted me to start weaning myself off..which i had no prob with, only i think i will take half of one tonight. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..your website is so so helpful as well and comforting to all of us with foot problems..Thanks!

Re: Question about post op surg on ruptured achilles tendon

Debra G on 9/14/00 at 23:32 (028264)

oops..forgot to mention that this spur was on back of heel..and is what caused the ruptured achilles tendon :)

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 06:22 (028268)

Sounds like some nerve pain that is probably related to the pressure cuff that was used durring the surgery, it should pass with time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 15:25 (028304)

Big time surgery, can have alot of pain, swelling and electric shock type pain. This surgery will hurt like ~@!!@%$@^ for about two weeks and then start to go away. Take about three to six month for complete healing. The spur and or calcifacation is due to tearing of the achilles tendon fibers and the reaction is calcification at the insertion on the back of the heel. If you have a resection of bone with cutting of achilles tendon. You can't walk on the foot for eight to ten weeks. Usually in a below the knee cast. Be patient and listent o the advice of your surgeon.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 15:26 (028305)

Are you walking on your foot. ????

Debra G on 9/15/00 at 16:42 (028311)

NO WAY..ha ha I am even sticking to my wheelchair instead of crutches..not wanting to risk a chance of losing balance and slamming that foot down and snapping tendon. I try to only stay up without foot elevated 10 mins max at a time..etc, i am working very hard to do EVERYTHING he says... He has me in a full cast (right below knee..BUT says that in 6 weeks he will remove that and put me in a walker cast) so also, i wanted to ask your's and Dr B's opinion..do u think that is too soon to be out of heavy cast>>?? I do have full faith in my dr..he is wonderful..but I very much sooo appreciate your advice and opinions..and you guys are GREAT! ; )

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 18:33 (028319)

The key is place you in a walking cast with slight plantarflexion and then slowly place the foot in a neutral cast. If the tendon was cut and then placed back and stapled into the heel then more time in the cast and alot of physical therapy. It sounds like you are doing EXACTLY what the doctor has told you. Very long post-op care but dones work. So its slight plantarflexion, then neutal position no weight bearing until the doc tells you

Debra G on 9/14/00 at 23:32 (028264)

oops..forgot to mention that this spur was on back of heel..and is what caused the ruptured achilles tendon :)

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 06:22 (028268)

Sounds like some nerve pain that is probably related to the pressure cuff that was used durring the surgery, it should pass with time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 15:25 (028304)

Big time surgery, can have alot of pain, swelling and electric shock type pain. This surgery will hurt like ~@!!@%$@^ for about two weeks and then start to go away. Take about three to six month for complete healing. The spur and or calcifacation is due to tearing of the achilles tendon fibers and the reaction is calcification at the insertion on the back of the heel. If you have a resection of bone with cutting of achilles tendon. You can't walk on the foot for eight to ten weeks. Usually in a below the knee cast. Be patient and listent o the advice of your surgeon.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 15:26 (028305)

Are you walking on your foot. ????

Debra G on 9/15/00 at 16:42 (028311)

NO WAY..ha ha I am even sticking to my wheelchair instead of crutches..not wanting to risk a chance of losing balance and slamming that foot down and snapping tendon. I try to only stay up without foot elevated 10 mins max at a time..etc, i am working very hard to do EVERYTHING he says... He has me in a full cast (right below knee..BUT says that in 6 weeks he will remove that and put me in a walker cast) so also, i wanted to ask your's and Dr B's opinion..do u think that is too soon to be out of heavy cast>>?? I do have full faith in my dr..he is wonderful..but I very much sooo appreciate your advice and opinions..and you guys are GREAT! ; )

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 18:33 (028319)

The key is place you in a walking cast with slight plantarflexion and then slowly place the foot in a neutral cast. If the tendon was cut and then placed back and stapled into the heel then more time in the cast and alot of physical therapy. It sounds like you are doing EXACTLY what the doctor has told you. Very long post-op care but dones work. So its slight plantarflexion, then neutal position no weight bearing until the doc tells you