Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

broken foot!

Posted by sue g. on 9/15/00 at 00:45 (028265)

Hi, have had PF for six months or so. I spent two months in PT without significant improvement. Went out on a SHORT trip to buy a new pair of New Balance shoes with a rollbar and woke up the next morning with two broken bones in my right foot. I am absolutely amazed that such a small thing as going into Sports Authority could result in bone breakage! Has anyone else run into this type of problem??? On the other hand, the NB shoes are really good....my left foot loves them! Other foot is in a soft cast with a LOVELY boot. My doc said maybe since I have been favoring my feet, that my bones has softened?? Anyone ever heard this theory? I think it is time for a new doc......

Re: broken foot!

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 06:39 (028270)

Bones do remodel and get stronger with use. If you fractured you toes by walking you might have osteoporosis. The x-ray that was taken should show this. It is not normal to for bones tp fracture durring walking.

wendyn on 9/15/00 at 08:35 (028275)

I second Dr B's logical opinion.....sure sounds like there is more at work than 'just PF'. Another doctor would be in order....take care.

sue g. on 9/15/00 at 10:17 (028284)

The pod xrayed my foot but did not mention osteoporosis. My mother does have it! I have a bone density exam scheduled for next week. I am only 45, can you have it that early?

Sue G. on 9/15/00 at 10:19 (028285)

I agree about getting another doctor. I am getting an appt soon with an orthop. surgeon. He is also a sports medicine doctor. Hopefully that will answer some questions! Thanks for writing.

wendyn on 9/15/00 at 10:34 (028288)

I work with a girl who is 28 and has early osteoporosis - just broke her pelvis.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 21:32 (028345)

I would also look into a dexascan this is a bone density testing that will help to determine your degree of osteoporsis.

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 06:39 (028270)

Bones do remodel and get stronger with use. If you fractured you toes by walking you might have osteoporosis. The x-ray that was taken should show this. It is not normal to for bones tp fracture durring walking.

wendyn on 9/15/00 at 08:35 (028275)

I second Dr B's logical opinion.....sure sounds like there is more at work than 'just PF'. Another doctor would be in order....take care.

sue g. on 9/15/00 at 10:17 (028284)

The pod xrayed my foot but did not mention osteoporosis. My mother does have it! I have a bone density exam scheduled for next week. I am only 45, can you have it that early?

Sue G. on 9/15/00 at 10:19 (028285)

I agree about getting another doctor. I am getting an appt soon with an orthop. surgeon. He is also a sports medicine doctor. Hopefully that will answer some questions! Thanks for writing.

wendyn on 9/15/00 at 10:34 (028288)

I work with a girl who is 28 and has early osteoporosis - just broke her pelvis.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 21:32 (028345)

I would also look into a dexascan this is a bone density testing that will help to determine your degree of osteoporsis.