Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar resection turned into RSD now they say it's not?

Posted by Holli Collins on 9/15/00 at 07:43 (028271)

Dear sirs. I am at a loss of words. I am only looking for any help I can get. I have very little trust in any one. I have been told so many things none are true. I had to have surgery to correct my plantar fascia, first particial, then full. Never been right since. Got DX with having RSD , then four years after the fact, I am now being told wasn't the case. Too late already had sympathectomy, and severel other damaging things done, trying to rid my self of this pain. I am writting in hopes you may be able to give me an idea as to where I can look now for answers, I am very active on the net trying to help my Dr. to help me. I don't wish to live with this pain for ever. It started shortly after the first surgery and only became worse after the secound. When he had to take out two sections of the medial plantar nerve. As it was entrapped in scar tissue. I have had chronic pain ever since. A recent bone scan showed significant blood pooling in the left foot. and I can't even see the bones any more. Note also it has included all the joints in my lower torso as well. I had a phentolamine test yesturday, and they say it was 95% sure I don't have RSD, CRps what ever you want to call it. I have been treated for this for a number of years. I now see a new doctor, He is the one who didn't believe I even had RSD. I really need some answers or guidance. Unfortuanatly, I trust myself more than anyone, sad but true. I wish I had never had that surgery ever, my life has been a mess ever since. I would strongly suggest that anyone who is thinking about it, would consider what I have read in your site, try everything you can first. My experience has not been pleasent. It's been a nightmare. I am no where near who I was before. Now I have to continually prove I have pain, I am not over weight, just the opposite. Under weight, Chroinc pain makes it very hard to eat anything. I can't find the proper care anywhere. No one wants to go behind this mess and try to fix it. I have had alot of test. They often contradict themselfs. Nerve conduction test, say entrapment one time, then none the next. MRI will say infection in the bone, then bone scan will dispute it. Weird. Now the latest test says not RSD yet I am even more at a cross road because I know that that test is not full proof. In that if I have had it too long, and if it's too bad RSD may be manifested in my SIP, or SMP. I am way out there. All because I had this surgery? I keep coming back to this surgery because Something still tells me, Holli, something else is wrong here. A nerve is injured. Trapped/ stuck? I don't know. That's why I am posting. If any one can please give me any ideas on where to look for any clues, anywhere I can go for some answers or information? What kind of doctor would best benifit me. Cortizone injections are out, Had over 100 by now. I can't do them any more. Thank you for your time. Sorry so long. I need help. I want out of this. I want the chance to get my life back. All I know is one day I was carrying mail and the next day I was sitting here in tears from all the pain. That was four years ago. Love to all Holli Collins.

Re: Plantar resection turned into RSD now they say it's not?

wendyn on 9/15/00 at 08:43 (028276)

Wow Holli.

I am not a doctor...and I don't have any medical advice for you. It sounds like you've been to hell and back. I know a little bit about RSD(or CRPS) and I do know that it's rare and hard to diagnose. I think often neurologists are involved...have you seen one? I know that RSD can start with a surgery or injury. At one point there was (is?) some confusion about whether it was part of my condition, but my condition has improved substantially.

I hope you find answers...

Regardless of what happens medically, we have a good support system here and you're welcome to post with your pain and frustrations. Sometimes it's nice to have other people to lean on when things are bad.

Will say a prayer that you get the direction and help you need.

Wendy

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 08:49 (028277)

It is hard to comment after so much has happened. If you are not already to probably need to go to a big city hospital that specializes in joint disease that has all the necessary diagnostic equipment and up to date expert doctors.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 18:29 (028318)

This is a great board for support and understanding. It sounds like you have RSD. IF you don't have RSD then this is very good. If you do then it is hard to treat but it must be treated. Pain is a very terrilbe disease to handle. We must look at this as a disease if its pain. I would be very happy to review your medical records to see what directions are possible. I have seen RSD after open heel spur surgery and its very painful. I just diagnosised a girl in her 20's with RSD who was told she had plantar fasciitis . If made my day to be able to pick up this problem so early in her case and get her the help as quickly as possible.

wendyn on 9/15/00 at 08:43 (028276)

Wow Holli.

I am not a doctor...and I don't have any medical advice for you. It sounds like you've been to hell and back. I know a little bit about RSD(or CRPS) and I do know that it's rare and hard to diagnose. I think often neurologists are involved...have you seen one? I know that RSD can start with a surgery or injury. At one point there was (is?) some confusion about whether it was part of my condition, but my condition has improved substantially.

I hope you find answers...

Regardless of what happens medically, we have a good support system here and you're welcome to post with your pain and frustrations. Sometimes it's nice to have other people to lean on when things are bad.

Will say a prayer that you get the direction and help you need.

Wendy

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 08:49 (028277)

It is hard to comment after so much has happened. If you are not already to probably need to go to a big city hospital that specializes in joint disease that has all the necessary diagnostic equipment and up to date expert doctors.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 18:29 (028318)

This is a great board for support and understanding. It sounds like you have RSD. IF you don't have RSD then this is very good. If you do then it is hard to treat but it must be treated. Pain is a very terrilbe disease to handle. We must look at this as a disease if its pain. I would be very happy to review your medical records to see what directions are possible. I have seen RSD after open heel spur surgery and its very painful. I just diagnosised a girl in her 20's with RSD who was told she had plantar fasciitis . If made my day to be able to pick up this problem so early in her case and get her the help as quickly as possible.