Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A close call... dropped my "ergodynamic" keyboard on toe! & pain support grp.

Posted by Beverly on 9/15/00 at 18:59 (028324)

God was watching out for me. This could have been much worse.
I was having a pretty good day and decided to clean out my junk closet.
All was going well until I spotted a box. 'Uhm, what is that?', I asked myself. I picked up the box and out fell a long forgotten 'ergodynamic' keyboard on my big toe! Ouch!

This was several days ago. I seem to be mostly okay. My toe is a little stiff and sore but no bruise and my PT says it looks pretty good all things considered... just a tiny bit of swelling. I got off lucky.

I am so grateful I didn't drop anything heavier and that it fell 'low to the ground.' It has set me back from the PFT. My PT says to let my toe calm down before resuming PFT. I'm doing all my other stretches (except towel scrunches).

I visited a chronic pain support group. I was disappointed. Although I believe the group is serving a worthwhile purpose for the group it was intended for, it just was not the right group for me. I felt out-of-place. Most of the people there had HORRIBLE things wrong with them. My feet pailed in comparision. I felt guilty being there... like what do I have to complain about? Plus, here I was a middle class person with insurance in a room with what was clearly poor people probably on Medicaid just barely surviving. Once again, I had to ask myself what did I have to complain about. I was reminded how fortunate I am and how different the medical community treats those of us with private/group insurance vs. those who are on public assistance or have no insurance.
Beverly

Re: A close call... dropped my "ergodynamic" keyboard on toe! & pain support grp.

Lori E. on 9/15/00 at 20:00 (028331)

Beverly,
Sorry to hear about your toe. I had to go on a search in my house for some of my mom's documents for Social Security and had some lifting and moving to do yesterday too. Don't overdo it, take care of your feet! My feet are a little more sore than usual today.
I too went to a chronic pain support clinic. They offered good things like chair yoga and classes to teach you to deal with chronic pain. I took the classes for a couple of months. But I, like you felt a bit out of place. The people there too had awful things wrong and I felt like well, at least it's just my feet, I don't have terminal cancer or have to use an oxygen tank. I did learn some things there and it was nice to get some extra support. I feel like it would be benificial if there was a PF support group in my area, but this board seems to do the trick most of the time. I felt that I didn't have much to offer in discussion at the chronic pain clinic.
When you think about how much PF has altered all of our lives, it's too bad that there isn't something more appropriate out there for people like us.

Re: A close call... dropped my "ergodynamic" keyboard on toe! & pain support grp.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 21:43 (028348)

Not trying to understate your pain but that was a lession in itself to go to this group. I remember going to a group where people went that had family members that died. After being there for an hour I realize that my family member at least died without a violent and or painful death. So everything is in comparison.

Re: A close call... -- "I just can't!" or can I?

Nancy S. on 9/15/00 at 22:35 (028352)

Beverly,
Years ago when I first developed panic disorder (a truly physiological condition that can make an emotional wreck out of a person), and was still having a lot of trouble coping with it after many months, my doctor sent me to a 7-week course called 'Ways to Wellness' for people with chronic conditions. The point of the course was to learn how not to let your condition, whatever it was, have power over your life and disempower YOU. It was run by a very dynamic and insightful doctor -- but for the first 6 weeks I hated it. There were people in there dealing with life-threatening illnesses and all sorts of stuff, and I felt like a crazy person. We often broke up into groups and I felt I had nothing to offer and that no one had anything to offer me with this not-well-understood-at-the-time condition.
But right before the last course session, I had a sort of epiphany in my little apartment (where I was hiding out most of the time, afraid to go out but doing my freelance book editing work, 'unable' to answer the phone, etc.). The phone rang, I didn't answer as usual, thinking 'I just can't,' and something from the course suddenly got absorbed and hit me in a (brilliant!) flash -- it wasn't that I couldn't answer the phone, that I had no power -- I was CHOOSING not to answer the phone. At that moment I realized that I did have some power over the way panic disorder was affecting my life. It was the first time that I became aware of whatever power I still had, and the first time that I really felt it.
I stood up and shared this with the group at the last class, and frankly it took some guts because some people there were dealing with worse ailments, and I might have decided that my little epiphany was just too damned puny to bother people with. But they appreciated it! These smaller things CAN have greater meaning and apply to all sorts of people and situations.
I didn't always answer the phone as a result -- but when I didn't answer it, I knew I was choosing not to, and it wasn't because I 'couldn't' do it.
Sorry this is so long. I just wanted to tell this tale as an example of something unexpected that can come from a group situation that seems wrong at first.
Of course, we're older and wiser now (aren't we?!), and you may already have learned what you were meant to learn by visiting the group.
Nancy

Re: test

scott r on 9/17/00 at 20:48 (028491)

test

Lori E. on 9/15/00 at 20:00 (028331)

Beverly,
Sorry to hear about your toe. I had to go on a search in my house for some of my mom's documents for Social Security and had some lifting and moving to do yesterday too. Don't overdo it, take care of your feet! My feet are a little more sore than usual today.
I too went to a chronic pain support clinic. They offered good things like chair yoga and classes to teach you to deal with chronic pain. I took the classes for a couple of months. But I, like you felt a bit out of place. The people there too had awful things wrong and I felt like well, at least it's just my feet, I don't have terminal cancer or have to use an oxygen tank. I did learn some things there and it was nice to get some extra support. I feel like it would be benificial if there was a PF support group in my area, but this board seems to do the trick most of the time. I felt that I didn't have much to offer in discussion at the chronic pain clinic.
When you think about how much PF has altered all of our lives, it's too bad that there isn't something more appropriate out there for people like us.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 21:43 (028348)

Not trying to understate your pain but that was a lession in itself to go to this group. I remember going to a group where people went that had family members that died. After being there for an hour I realize that my family member at least died without a violent and or painful death. So everything is in comparison.

Re: A close call... -- "I just can't!" or can I?

Nancy S. on 9/15/00 at 22:35 (028352)

Beverly,
Years ago when I first developed panic disorder (a truly physiological condition that can make an emotional wreck out of a person), and was still having a lot of trouble coping with it after many months, my doctor sent me to a 7-week course called 'Ways to Wellness' for people with chronic conditions. The point of the course was to learn how not to let your condition, whatever it was, have power over your life and disempower YOU. It was run by a very dynamic and insightful doctor -- but for the first 6 weeks I hated it. There were people in there dealing with life-threatening illnesses and all sorts of stuff, and I felt like a crazy person. We often broke up into groups and I felt I had nothing to offer and that no one had anything to offer me with this not-well-understood-at-the-time condition.
But right before the last course session, I had a sort of epiphany in my little apartment (where I was hiding out most of the time, afraid to go out but doing my freelance book editing work, 'unable' to answer the phone, etc.). The phone rang, I didn't answer as usual, thinking 'I just can't,' and something from the course suddenly got absorbed and hit me in a (brilliant!) flash -- it wasn't that I couldn't answer the phone, that I had no power -- I was CHOOSING not to answer the phone. At that moment I realized that I did have some power over the way panic disorder was affecting my life. It was the first time that I became aware of whatever power I still had, and the first time that I really felt it.
I stood up and shared this with the group at the last class, and frankly it took some guts because some people there were dealing with worse ailments, and I might have decided that my little epiphany was just too damned puny to bother people with. But they appreciated it! These smaller things CAN have greater meaning and apply to all sorts of people and situations.
I didn't always answer the phone as a result -- but when I didn't answer it, I knew I was choosing not to, and it wasn't because I 'couldn't' do it.
Sorry this is so long. I just wanted to tell this tale as an example of something unexpected that can come from a group situation that seems wrong at first.
Of course, we're older and wiser now (aren't we?!), and you may already have learned what you were meant to learn by visiting the group.
Nancy

Re: test

scott r on 9/17/00 at 20:48 (028491)

test