Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

bring in the clowns

Posted by Paula on 9/15/00 at 19:16 (028326)

2 months into pf. first dpm wants to give me a cortisone shot once a week for a year. i ask him about tissue damage, he says he never heard of such a thing. i ask him to tape my sprained ankle , he refuses. he is angry i won't let him give
me shot. he charges me $340. ii leave with no treatment at all. unprotected ankle turns again. i go to emergency room. 2 dpm residents put an ace bandage on it and telll me to walk with crutches on other foot. i tell them other anke is also sprained, but less badly. it cannot bear all the weight. they are very annoyed that i argue with them about this and one storms out of the room. the other insists i do as they say. approx ten minutes after leaving i turn the other ankle. and sprain it even worse than the one that brought me in †here.
next an orthapedic surg. with the warmth and caring of satan tells me not to be such a baby and just walk around all i need to do is stretch . he askes me to show him how i'm stretching and says leg should be further back. i say that 's all i can stretch. he kicks my leg back! he insists i walk more. i try that day and next day pain is much worse and of course ankle, that he says will work itself out if i walk more' turns again.
next ortho squeezes heel so hard i scream. he smiles and squeezes some more. now that area hurts and it never hurt before. am wondering if he fractured it . he said he squeezed it to see it it was fractured! what is the story with these monsters?

Re: bring in the clowns

Dr, Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 19:27 (028327)

I think I should go hide. I feel ashamed to be in the same profession.
The mission statement in my office is that everyone is to be treated like they are in your own home. I like my house so why not feel like I am home all the time.

Paula on 9/15/00 at 20:08 (028332)

dr z , you are great. i should move to your town and put my feet under your care for life. just half joking

Laurie R on 9/15/00 at 20:19 (028334)

Hi Paula,
This is the crazyest thing I have ever heard . My heart really goes out ot you. How could any doctor in his right mind treat you that way? PLEASE don't give up ,their are many wonderful doctors out there. I still can not believe you were treated that way.Ok I have an idea ,we will all go back with you to those doctors and tell them how to treat people with respect...... Also lets hope you foot isn't broken .....Take care and let us know how you are doing. Good luck on finding a doctor. Laurie R

Paula on 9/15/00 at 20:36 (028337)

really? the craziest? you mean others here havnt had such bad luck with docs? geez. how could i be so unlucky? thanks for good wishes laurie, they mean a lot to me. and i sure hope that jerk didn't fracture my heel. righty now that pain is far greater than my other pains. geez.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 21:30 (028344)

I doubt that it is broken but there is a cavity space in the heel bone inside you have alot of swelling in the area. That is what he was checking if there is swelling in this area and you can tell by crushing Oh I means pushing one of the signs for a stress fracture but usually just a sign that there actually is bone swelling. With a stress fracture you are going to have alot of pain from the moment you start to walk when first getting out of bed. Get an MRI . This is really a great way to view a stress fracture.

Paula on 9/15/00 at 21:53 (028351)

thanks doc z . i will get an mri right away. but that means i have to find yet another doc and god knows what else will be crushed, oh i mean pushed. am i to understand that you can write a perscription for an mri even if i'm in another state and havnt seen you? if so will you? at least after i get mri another clown won't squeez heel again, cause i'd rather go thru childbirth than do that again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/16/00 at 06:06 (028357)

What state are you in. ????. This is so new to me. I have no idea if I can or if I can't . I know I can't write for any drugs that is a given. You insurance company if they need precertication may give you some trouble. In alot of cases they need office records. So the answer is it depends on the insurance. (hmo)

Kim B. on 9/16/00 at 09:22 (028365)

Paula, so sorry to hear about your suffering and difficulty finding the right Doctor for you. Somtimes things get so inflammed, nothing is going to help until things calm down a little.

A couple weeks ago I landed in a chiropratic office heavily medication and wearing a soft cervical (neck) collar.

This was after Trigger point injetions, heavy meds, 3 weeks of the physical threapist from hell, more trigger point injections, a trip to the ER over the labor day holiday, and more heavy meds.

The chiropractor has been able to do more for me in 2 weeks than more than 2 months of the traditional medicine and other treatments.

I believe the first line in the hypocratic oath is 'First, do no harm...' It's as if you have a huge stamp on your head that reads 'abuse me, torture me, mess me up good.' You've really been through the ringer.

Good luck I hope things get better for you. Kim B. PS, loved your subject line/heading. So appropriate.

Pauline on 9/16/00 at 10:35 (028372)

Paula
Run rather than walk away from these people who call themselves Doctors. It's not your fault they missed most of their medical classes, there are many more to choose from.

Bob Ray on 9/16/00 at 15:11 (028392)

Hi Paula;
I think we share the same podiatrist. I dumped him on the 2nd visit.

Nancy S. on 9/16/00 at 16:39 (028394)

Paula, no, you're not the only one. My ex-pod. was a good-looking young SADIST. However, unlike Bob Ray, I didn't have the whatever-it-takes to fire him until after 6 months -- and that was 6 months that were not only wasted on basically painful nontreatment but during which I continued to reinjure and reinjure and reinjure due to bad (and lack of) advice. Keep looking, you'll find a good one. It only took me 14 months! But I found one. Good luck, and I hope your heel heals from those heels/doctors.
Nancy

Beverly on 9/16/00 at 17:04 (028396)

Paula,

That is one of the worst stories I've heard here in a long time. I had bad experiences with my first two pods, but nothing this bad. I kept shopping and finally ended up with an orthopedic sports medicine doc of the lowerbody. He's is 200x better than any of the previous docs I visited. Keep shopping. There are good doctors out there.
Beverly
PS: I found my current doctor by asking around...asked both friends who had had lowerbody surgeries treated by orthopedic docs and my internist and my massage therapist.

Dr, Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 19:27 (028327)

I think I should go hide. I feel ashamed to be in the same profession.
The mission statement in my office is that everyone is to be treated like they are in your own home. I like my house so why not feel like I am home all the time.

Paula on 9/15/00 at 20:08 (028332)

dr z , you are great. i should move to your town and put my feet under your care for life. just half joking

Laurie R on 9/15/00 at 20:19 (028334)

Hi Paula,
This is the crazyest thing I have ever heard . My heart really goes out ot you. How could any doctor in his right mind treat you that way? PLEASE don't give up ,their are many wonderful doctors out there. I still can not believe you were treated that way.Ok I have an idea ,we will all go back with you to those doctors and tell them how to treat people with respect...... Also lets hope you foot isn't broken .....Take care and let us know how you are doing. Good luck on finding a doctor. Laurie R

Paula on 9/15/00 at 20:36 (028337)

really? the craziest? you mean others here havnt had such bad luck with docs? geez. how could i be so unlucky? thanks for good wishes laurie, they mean a lot to me. and i sure hope that jerk didn't fracture my heel. righty now that pain is far greater than my other pains. geez.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/15/00 at 21:30 (028344)

I doubt that it is broken but there is a cavity space in the heel bone inside you have alot of swelling in the area. That is what he was checking if there is swelling in this area and you can tell by crushing Oh I means pushing one of the signs for a stress fracture but usually just a sign that there actually is bone swelling. With a stress fracture you are going to have alot of pain from the moment you start to walk when first getting out of bed. Get an MRI . This is really a great way to view a stress fracture.

Paula on 9/15/00 at 21:53 (028351)

thanks doc z . i will get an mri right away. but that means i have to find yet another doc and god knows what else will be crushed, oh i mean pushed. am i to understand that you can write a perscription for an mri even if i'm in another state and havnt seen you? if so will you? at least after i get mri another clown won't squeez heel again, cause i'd rather go thru childbirth than do that again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/16/00 at 06:06 (028357)

What state are you in. ????. This is so new to me. I have no idea if I can or if I can't . I know I can't write for any drugs that is a given. You insurance company if they need precertication may give you some trouble. In alot of cases they need office records. So the answer is it depends on the insurance. (hmo)

Kim B. on 9/16/00 at 09:22 (028365)

Paula, so sorry to hear about your suffering and difficulty finding the right Doctor for you. Somtimes things get so inflammed, nothing is going to help until things calm down a little.

A couple weeks ago I landed in a chiropratic office heavily medication and wearing a soft cervical (neck) collar.

This was after Trigger point injetions, heavy meds, 3 weeks of the physical threapist from hell, more trigger point injections, a trip to the ER over the labor day holiday, and more heavy meds.

The chiropractor has been able to do more for me in 2 weeks than more than 2 months of the traditional medicine and other treatments.

I believe the first line in the hypocratic oath is 'First, do no harm...' It's as if you have a huge stamp on your head that reads 'abuse me, torture me, mess me up good.' You've really been through the ringer.

Good luck I hope things get better for you. Kim B. PS, loved your subject line/heading. So appropriate.

Pauline on 9/16/00 at 10:35 (028372)

Paula
Run rather than walk away from these people who call themselves Doctors. It's not your fault they missed most of their medical classes, there are many more to choose from.

Bob Ray on 9/16/00 at 15:11 (028392)

Hi Paula;
I think we share the same podiatrist. I dumped him on the 2nd visit.

Nancy S. on 9/16/00 at 16:39 (028394)

Paula, no, you're not the only one. My ex-pod. was a good-looking young SADIST. However, unlike Bob Ray, I didn't have the whatever-it-takes to fire him until after 6 months -- and that was 6 months that were not only wasted on basically painful nontreatment but during which I continued to reinjure and reinjure and reinjure due to bad (and lack of) advice. Keep looking, you'll find a good one. It only took me 14 months! But I found one. Good luck, and I hope your heel heals from those heels/doctors.
Nancy

Beverly on 9/16/00 at 17:04 (028396)

Paula,

That is one of the worst stories I've heard here in a long time. I had bad experiences with my first two pods, but nothing this bad. I kept shopping and finally ended up with an orthopedic sports medicine doc of the lowerbody. He's is 200x better than any of the previous docs I visited. Keep shopping. There are good doctors out there.
Beverly
PS: I found my current doctor by asking around...asked both friends who had had lowerbody surgeries treated by orthopedic docs and my internist and my massage therapist.